Hey guys, New member need some help choosing

Participant count
  • Participant list

reyesjr
10+ year member

Sealy TX
1st Option: (2 10" subs)

Digital Design 2510's (thats what he has listed on craigslist). So from what I know, these bad boys bump and sound real good. I've talked him down to gettin these 2 10's for $250. I'll most likely have someone build me a custom ported box for these as well.

2nd Option: (2 12" subs)

2 Alpine Type SWR-12D2. I've read nothing but good things about these and Its what I wanted before I found the listing for the DD's. These come with a ordinary ported box, but same as the DD's, I'll look into gettin a custom box for it.

SO please help me decide, Looking for something that hits pretty decent while sounding real good. HATE HATE HATE distortion. Thanks guys.

1st Option: (2 10" subs)
Digital Design 2510's (thats what he has listed on craigslist). So from what I know, these bad boys bump and sound real good. I've talked him down to gettin these 2 10's for $250. I'll most likely have someone build me a custom ported box for these as well.

2nd Option: (2 12" subs)

2 Alpine Type SWR-12D2. I've read nothing but good things about these and Its what I wanted before I found the listing for the DD's. These come with a ordinary ported box, but same as the DD's, I'll look into gettin a custom box for it.

SO please help me decide, Looking for something that hits pretty decent while sounding real good. HATE HATE HATE distortion. Thanks guys.
What are you planning to power said subs with?

I assume you will be running 4ohms for max efficiency and least possible distortion?

What are you planning to power said subs with?
I assume you will be running 4ohms for max efficiency and least possible distortion?
TBH..I have no idea yet, basically getting the subs first, then I'll be asking for help/advice on what to power them with.

Whatever I choose, I will buy an amp sufficient enough to power the subs. So with that in mind...Option 1 or 2? The DD's look to have better specs, but not sure If I should go off specs or not.

Good subs are a dime a dozen. You need to figure out how much power you will be using and figure out what electrical upgrades will be necessary to support the chosen power. Since you hate distortion, you will be looking for 4ohm power, or possibly 2 ohm power, depending on the amp chosen. Based on the info you have given, you could use the Type R's for a 2 ohm load for less distortion and a good increase in efficiency vs. a .5ohm load, depending on how much you spend on a good amp. If you want good subs, you need good, clean powa. How much are you planning to spend on electrical upgrades and amplification to provide clean undistorted power?

Good subs are a dime a dozen. You need to figure out how much power you will be using and figure out what electrical upgrades will be necessary to support the chosen power. Since you hate distortion, you will be looking for 4ohm power, or possibly 2 ohm power, depending on the amp chosen. Based on the info you have given, you could use the Type R's for a 2 ohm load for less distortion and a good increase in efficiency vs. a .5ohm load, depending on how much you spend on a good amp. If you want good subs, you need good, clean powa. How much are you planning to spend on electrical upgrades and amplification to provide clean undistorted power?
I'm just shooting a number out there but I don't want to spend more than $500 for amp. As far as electrical upgrades, IF need be, I'll get a capacitor, battery and all that good stuff. I use to run 3 12's JBL GT series with a 1500WATT JBL amp and I never did an electrical upgrade. It did not hit as hard as I thought it should and thats probably why. Either that or the subs were just crap. Here is a picture of my old setup.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/126/781/25312890005_large.jpg

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/126/781/25312890006_large.jpg

Do you know what VC configuration the 2500's are?
4 DVC.

I'm just shooting a number out there but I don't want to spend more than $500 for amp. As far as electrical upgrades, IF need be, I'll get a capacitor, battery and all that good stuff. I use to run 3 12's JBL GT series with a 1500WATT JBL amp and I never did an electrical upgrade. It did not hit as hard as I thought it should and thats probably why. Either that or the subs were just crap. Here is a picture of my old setup.

4 DVC.
Assuming both sets of subs are in perfect condition, I would probably do the 2 2500's if they were in a box that is right for them and would work ...but this get's back to my first question..do you want to sacrifice SQ for more power at a lower impedance, or just fuck it and go 1ohm on the bitches?

Assuming both sets of subs are in perfect condition, I would probably do the 2 2500's if they were in a box that is right for them and would work ...but this get's back to my first question..do you want to sacrifice SQ for more power at a lower impedance, or just fuck it and go 1ohm on the bitches?
Yeah as for the box, I'm gonna find someone who can build me a custom one according to the specs on digital designs website. **** it I'll sacrifice SQ for some POWER. Would going 1 ohm on em make them blow easier?

Here is the picture of the DD's that the guy provided me with.

http://images.craigslist.org/5N85G35H43M63La3H4c6s351ccee58ee01afe.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/5N95Id5E23K23m03L4c6s9a2efadd1f94133a.jpg

He said he still has the boxes they came in as well.

alright. How does the 2800 1 ohm work? Does that mean each sub will bet 1400? or each would get 2800? Sry for these n00bish questions. Really appreciate the help so far btw!
The total power would be split between the 2 subs. I posted that amp because it is one of the best deals I have seen on quality power. If I were setting that amp up on those 10's in your car, I would use a DMM and set the gains to where the amp put out about 2000 - 2500 watts on a test tone. This would be close enough to where the HU would be able to keep the signal clean and the power would not be too much for the subs. The subs are rated for 800w rms ea, they would only see anything near that or maybe more on transient peaks, but this would too depend on box size and tuning that affect ohm rise. They are rated for 3000w peaks ea. so unless you plan on burping with a test tone, you won't have a problem..lol. If you were planning that type of set up, you would be looking at different subs anyway.

The total power would be split between the 2 subs. I posted that amp because it is one of the best deals I have seen on quality power. If I were setting that amp up on those 10's in your car, I would use a DMM and set the gains to where the amp put out about 2000 - 2500 watts on a test tone. This would be close enough to where the HU would be able to keep the signal clean and the power would not be too much for the subs. The subs are rated for 800w rms ea, they would only see anything near that or maybe more on transient peaks, but this would too depend on box size and tuning that affect ohm rise. They are rated for 3000w peaks ea. so unless you plan on burping with a test tone, you won't have a problem..lol. If you were planning that type of set up, you would be looking at different subs anyway.
ahh ok. Yeah I hear ya lol. I'm not planning on blowing out my ears or anything like that, I just want some decent power in my trunk. I'm thinking the 2800 watt @ 1 ohm is a little too much for my liking. I was thinking about 1500 watts at 1 ohm maybe? Whatcha think? Wanna give them a little more than half of what their RMS is. Basically, in the middle. Again, your help is greatly appreciated.

ahh ok. Yeah I hear ya lol. I'm not planning on blowing out my ears or anything like that, I just want some decent power in my trunk. I'm thinking the 2800 watt @ 1 ohm is a little too much for my liking. I was thinking about 1500 watts at 1 ohm maybe? Whatcha think? Wanna give them a little more than half of what their RMS is. Basically, in the middle. Again, your help is greatly appreciated.
Doesn't matter, as long as you keep the signal clean. About the only difference between 1ohm 1500 watts and 1ohm 2500 watts is the power output...the electrical upgrades required to keep the volts up are about the same...might get away with just a beefy AGM up front on the 1500watts rms.. BTW, are you sure those DD's are not the 3500's?

4 DVC.
looks like the 3 12's were sealed?...and there are not much better amps to be had than that JBL you have in that power range...there are many, many worse amps available.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.