Hey guys need a hand

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jrizzo1992

So I'm on the new side of car audio, and really ( I think) have pretty much the basics down, here's the scenario. A good buddy of mine gave me 2 JL audio 4 ohm single coil 10 inch subs in a sealed box to me, and they work fine( tested them in his car). So I've had a couple subs before and I've blown them- and I think it all comes down to how I've been setting my gains and not knowing how hook the subs up properly. Before I hook these up to my amp I basically want to make sure it's possible to hook them up without risking blowing them, and if it is, how to wire them to the amp,the specifics are:

Kenwood KAC-9105D amplifier (mono amp, 900x1 at 2 ohms and 500x1 at 4)

2 JL audio 10WXv2 (single coil 4 ohms)

Sealed box (not sure of specs)

Thanks guys

So I'm on the new side of car audio, and really ( I think) have pretty much the basics down, here's the scenario. A good buddy of mine gave me 2 JL audio 4 ohm single coil 10 inch subs in a sealed box to me, and they work fine( tested them in his car). So I've had a couple subs before and I've blown them- and I think it all comes down to how I've been setting my gains and not knowing how hook the subs up properly. Before I hook these up to my amp I basically want to make sure it's possible to hook them up without risking blowing them, and if it is, how to wire them to the amp,the specifics are:

Thanks guys
If, which I assume you don't, have an oscope or something of that sort, you can set the gains with a multimeter. Won't be exact but you won't blow the subs nearly as quick as if the gains were jacked up.

use a DMM to set the gains. Google "how to set amp gains with DMM," or youtube it.

go to the12volt.com and look at their "subwoofer wiring wizard" to see how to wire them to different ohms.

Thanks guys
You can wire them parallel/parallel for a 2 ohm load. Using the dmm you should be at 42 vac with your gain. Set it with 3/4 full volume with a 50hz test tone with all filters off and the eq flat. Just unhook the + from the amp so you don't blast the test tone.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.