Here it is. My new custom subwoofer box by CherryMan Customs

airman

Just got it recently, Installed the JL Audio 10W6v3-D4 subs and they sound fantastic. His work and attention to detail is outstanding. As you see it's not your average prefabricated sub box and that's why I decided to go this route, wanted something different this time. not just another grey subwoofer box. I have these 10" subs wired in series/parallel for a 4 ohm load to my mono amp which is a Alpine PDX-M6.

I'm going to upgrade later to a JL Audio HD1200/1 later when I get my new 270 amp Mechman alternator to handle the power demands of a 1800 watt system but anyway tell me what you think of the box. One thing. I've been wondering how these subs would sound in a dual ported box designed to JL specs. I'm a SQ purist when It comes to audio, a budget Audiophile if that word can be used. I read that sealed boxes give the flattest response and no distortion but there are times when I like to make some noise if you know what I mean.

What would your choice be for these subs. A Sealed or Ported box. By the way I listen to just about everything except stuff which is too vulgar such as certain types of Hip Hop BUT I am passionate about R&B, ALL kinds of Jazz, Classic Rock, Motown, Reggae, Heavy Metal, The Classics, Mozart etcView attachment 26551520View attachment 26551519

Looks great. I think id paint the box or throw some type of coating on it to bring it up another notch. I think those subs would sound excellent ported. Most people say to go bigger then what JL recommends.

you can start off by flipping the box around and having the subs fire towards the rear and the W6 logo is facing up, should get you some output. A properly designed ported box will do most of what a sealed box can do but can hit harder at a lower frequencies. You can still retain the accuracy just fine. I never liked how sealed boxes hit unless I have a ton of power and cone area, I dont see myself sacrificing the amount of output that can be had with a ported box.

you can start off by flipping the box around and having the subs fire towards the rear and the W6 logo is facing up, should get you some output. A properly designed ported box will do most of what a sealed box can do but can hit harder at a lower frequencies. You can still retain the accuracy just fine. I never liked how sealed boxes hit unless I have a ton of power and cone area, I dont see myself sacrificing the amount of output that can be had with a ported box.
Well that's what I've been wondering. My front speakers are Hertz HSK-165XL 6.5 and and they are very efficient. I have to back off of them with the fader control in my HU to send more volume to the subs to get impact. I'm just curious I guess but I really would like to hear these things in a properly tuned dual ported enclosure.

Well that's what I've been wondering. My front speakers are Hertz HSK-165XL 6.5 and and they are very efficient. I have to back off of them with the fader control in my HU to send more volume to the subs to get impact. I'm just curious I guess but I really would like to hear these things in a properly tuned dual ported enclosure.
should've gone ported to begin with...

Depends what you're going for sealed works just fine for a lot of people that have it set up properly. If you're just going for SPL yeah ported is the way to go. I run dual 12's off 2200 rms in a sealed 3.2 cube box from Cherry and the output is very good for. You just have to build it to suit your output needs. Not everyone needs to go ghetto banging their ride so you can hear it 5 blocks away. I went from a ported to a sealed and I really like the SQ of it a lot tighter imo and no I don't listen to rap either so...

A properly designed and costructed ported enclosure will have as good if not better sq, more impact and output only time i use a sealed enclosure is when i am tight on space. That said cherryman has definetely become the go to guy here for enclosures his work is nothing short of awesome including this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
A properly designed and costructed ported enclosure will have as good if not better sq, more impact and output only time i use a sealed enclosure is when i am tight on space. That said cherryman has definetely become the go to guy here for enclosures his work is nothing short of awesome including this one.
Yup there it is right there. There are a lot of other considerations when deciding on a box other than ported is louder

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.