Help...

iceteebone
5,000+ posts

Banned
Michigan
ok i'm starting to phase out on car audio and i want to start getting into home audio but i do not know the first thing about home audio. i was wondering if someone can give me some websites, or explain the basics to home audio. a buddy of mine said to get started get a dvd player, 2 towers and something else i forgot //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

ok i'm starting to phase out on car audio and i want to start getting into home audio but i do not know the first thing about home audio. i was wondering if someone can give me some websites, or explain the basics to home audio. a buddy of mine said to get started get a dvd player, 2 towers and something else i forgot //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif
Well, Ice, are you wanting very basic as in 2 channel stereo (simple left and right) or basic 2.1 channel (left and right plus a sub) or are you wanting to go whole hog into a 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 channel surround setup?

Well, Ice, are you wanting very basic as in 2 channel stereo (simple left and right) or basic 2.1 channel (left and right plus a sub) or are you wanting to go whole hog into a 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 channel surround setup?

see i don't know what the hell you are talking about lol. basically i don't need something big, li gues like the 2.1. i want a sub but nothing big.

2 channel stereo and a 2.1 channel setup will be home audio but not home theater (attempting to recreate the movie theater audio/visual experience in-home)

A very basic 2 channel setup will have the audio source (usually a stereo or home theater receiver ~ which is a tuner, a preamp source selector, sound contouring controls, and the amplifier all in one box) and two speakers to play the same left and right audio channels you have in your car.

A 2.1 channel setup is the same as the above with the addition of a dedicated LFE (Low Frequency Effects) output and driver.

From there it gets more complicated moving to a 5.1 channel surround setup. 5.1 includes Front Left, Front Right, Front Center, Rear (Surround) Left, Rear (Surround) Right, and the aforementioned LFE.

It gets more complicated from there //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

A DVD player is not a receiver.

Like I've said before here, a receiver is an integrated amp with an AM/FM tuner. As you get more and more insane, I mean, involved in home audio, you may want to ditch the integrated amp for seperate preamps/power amplifiers, as that gives you more system flexibility but eats your wallet faster //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i was actually considering using 1 of my rl-p's cause i might scale back my car audio system, so is home audio similar to car audio? is it basically low/mid/high?

so basically for a starter system i just need 2 full ranges and a subwoofer? (not 100% sure if i'll use my rl-p for home audio) so then the cd player will hook up to the receiver, and the receiver will power the speakers?

Precisely. The HiVi B3s (square frame) and the Tang Band 871s are both great speakers to try in small sealed enclosures. The output and quality of the sound will surprise you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.