Help with Sub vs amp wattage

Participant count
  • Participant list

bassinmytruck

Can someone please give some insight into my first truck subwoofer purchase. I am looking into putting a kicker comp 10" with a ported enclosure into my 1999 Ford F150. I wanted a sub that i didnt have to upgrade my alternator or battery for. I happened to stumble apon a ebay link.

Kicker Car Audio C10 Comp 300W Loaded 10" Ported Sub Box Boss CE202 Amp Package | eBay

It seemed to have everything i needed to build my system. I looked into it further thou and didnt understand why this was all bundled together. The speaker is a 150 rms kicker 10" with a svc. The amp was a boss 2 channel that could be bridged at 500w for 4 ohms. This made no sense to me, how could a 500 watt amp be paired with a 150w sub? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Well it is a boss amp so you probably won't see anything near the wattage it is claiming. Just make sure your amps gain is set properly. It is not a volume knob. If you ever decide you want something louder than that I would suggest asking around for help on here rather than buying pre made packages like that. It is okay for a beginner but if you spend some extra time learning about it all you could build something that will get a lot louder than that and sound nicer for not too much money. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

DimwitRe: Help with Sub vs amp wattage

Well it is a boss amp so you probably won't see anything near the wattage it is claiming. Just make sure your amps gain is set properly. It is not a volume knob. If you ever decide you want something louder than that I would suggest asking around for help on here rather than buying pre made packages like that. It is okay for a beginner but if you spend some extra time learning about it all you could build something that will get a lot louder than that and sound nicer for not too much money. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.
Thank you for your input! I have considered building my own system but have been having trouble finding much for under $200. I have hear good things about the kicker subs and dont have much room for anything bigger than a 10". Any other suggestions for an amp that goes with a kicker comp 10"?

If I remember right ppi makes pretty good budget amps and hifonics amps will be better for you than a boss amp. I know knukonceptz makes good and cheap amp wiring kits. If I were you I would look into the soundqubed subs. They are supposed to do pretty well and don't cost all that much. The HDS210 is only $79

That amplifier will not produce 500 watts. That is the peak power rating and it means nothing. It's also not likely that it will do its RMS rating of 125 watts per channel so the most you could expect from it bridged would be ~175-200 watts, which is not too much power for a 150 watt RMS sub. In addition to that, the wiring kit that comes with that bundle is undersized and won't be of much use if you ever get ready to upgrade your system and the sub is an entry level sub that won't do much other than be loud.

I understand that budget is a concern but I also understand the "bass bug" and I would hate to see you buy this setup, catch the bass bug and then find out that not one thing you bought could realistically be used in a more powerful and better sounding setup. That said, if you think you'll be happy with this entry level setup, then by all means get it. But if you think you may want more down the line, you'd be well served to save and buy one piece at a time until you have an expandable and dependable entry level system.

You can even find some really nice, high quality used gear here from time to time.

^ What he said.

And to follow up on my other post the PPI BK650.1D would be enough power for the HS210 if you were going to go with that and could be had for around $115. With an amp wiring kit from knukonceptz I think that would put you at about 215. How much space are you working with?

Thanks again. But assuming i have a 60 amp alternator, and around half of it is going to the battery, wont 600 w be too much to be self sustaining? They do look like amazing subs tho, dvc will also be nice for a 2 channel amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.