Help with son's car amplifier

bvanscoy678

Hello,

I am looking at Kenwood Kfc-w2513ps 10-Inch 4 Ohm Car Subwoofer (X 2) for my son's 2002 Chevy Silverado truck. The RMS is 300W. I have read quite a bit, but still a bit confused about what amp to purchase that would work well with this set up. He has a Pioneer DEH X6500BT with a couple new door speakers last Christmas. We are looking at enclosers now, but trying to put a decent package together on our own.

Thanks for any tips, greatly appreciated. BTW, if you have better suggestions for subwoofers, I would listen to that also. These are price decent and have a few good reviews I found. Need to balance a budget for a project for a 16 year old kid.

** I have read other post and this set up is getting neutral reviews along with suggestions for 1 12 inch, instead of two. I'll take all advice!! Thanks

Thanks, Brent

Last edited by a moderator:
they would be ok for a starter system ,you need an amp that does 600 rms at 2 ohms also ,the amp kit as well if you can make a box rather than buy one ,you'll save some cash and have better results to .as prefab boxes are sealed and dont have very good output ,most kids want boom and a lot of it ,so a ported box would be better

The shop I work at sells those subs. I have Done the Kenwood excelon 500.1 and the jl audio jx 500.1 and the Rockford Fosgate 500.1 and 750.1. All sounded good.

I would love suggestions. I am just going off reading, so I have nothing to base it off of except some reviews and previous post. I am thinking he would like the boom and I can go to my father in laws shop to build a box if that is a better idea.

12 inches would be fine, if they fit in the truck. Not sure if I should go with 1 or 2 if I go with 12 inches. I don't want to get to crazy simply because of the I am concerned about distraction with driving and I don't want to blow his ears out. From what I am reading, I think he would like more of the beat and vibration than big time noise.

Thanks for the ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest to get a decent 1 sub and a fairly powerful amp so you will have headroom if he wants more basss c2 audio d4 is $129 per sub free shipping and if you get audiopipe apsm 1500 $121, run the sub at 2 ohm and if he wants a 2nd sub later on you can wire 2 subs to 1 ohm and your sub amp will still be a good match

I'd get a couple of 10's maybe these: Incriminator Audio 10 I Series 300RMS 10" Subwoofer - SSA STORE and a good amplifier maybe like this: Precision Power PPI P1000.1 (p10001) Monoblock Phantom Car Amplifier it would all run you around 400 bucks and leave you some room for an enclosure. There's so many options that are going to be better than the Kenwoods you first suggested. I'm sure a lot of his buddies run Kicker, Kenwood and maybe Fosgate and MTX. And there's nothing wrong with mainstream but there's a reason why a lot of people suggest underground brands that are tried and true. It's just better bang for the buck.

Okay, I'll take a look at those suggestions and I'll check back. I will have to look over the wiring to understand the ohms, but I have done some work quite a long time ago, so I am hoping it comes back to me!

Thanks!

I read the links and followed up on everyone's suggestions. Someone mention using one 12 inch instead of 2 10 inch subs. Any benefit from that aside from the fact you are only buying 1 sub? I have read up a bit on building my own box, but it is quite intimidating with all of the specs.

Thanks! Brent

actually ,depending on his truck and the room under the back seat .the 10's and 12's might not have enough room for the right box. i raised my rear seat to get 2 10's in the right size box ported .so if you need suggestions ,we need to know what truck as well.a pair of nice 8's may be the better option

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.