Help with setting gains

Participant count
  • Participant list

BossmanReuben

Okay so I currently have a Kenwood BT558U headunit (1-35 volume), Kenwood KAC-8405 (60 rms x 4 ohms), Memphis 15-mc620 6.5 coaxials in the front, and Alpine SPE-6000 6.5 coaxials in the back. Now when I try set set my gains with the DMM method using the square root of 240 I get 15.49 and I use my flash drive with the 1k test tone from RoE set at 26 volume. I can match it up pretty fine with the DMM but when I actually play music anything from volume 1 to 16 is barely audible and around 25-27 seems to be the sweet spot. Am I just used to the speakers being run from the headunit and distorting really quick? Or am I messing something up? I also have the high pass filter on the amp set to 100hz

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't usually bother setting the gains with a DMM on my main speaker amp for 2 reasons.

1. It's very easy to detect distortion/clipping with full range speakers (much more difficult with subwoofers)

2. Normally what is considered 'full power' from the amplifier is too much and isn't balanced with my subwoofer.

So set your subwoofer gain using the dmm method, then as your listening to music adjust the gain on the kenwood amp so the front speaker level matches/blends with the subwoofer level.

I don't usually bother setting the gains with a DMM on my main speaker amp for 2 reasons.1. It's very easy to detect distortion/clipping with full range speakers (much more difficult with subwoofers)

2. Normally what is considered 'full power' from the amplifier is too much and isn't balanced with my subwoofer.

So set your subwoofer gain using the dmm method, then as your listening to music adjust the gain on the kenwood amp so the front speaker level matches/blends with the subwoofer level.
See the thing is that I don't have a subwoofer yet. When I had my speakers hooked up to the BOSE amp I felt like overall volume was louder.

See the thing is that I don't have a subwoofer yet. When I had my speakers hooked up to the BOSE amp I felt like overall volume was louder.
Then refer to point 1. The reason we suggest setting subwoofer gains with a dmm is because for most it's difficult to detect clipping with your ear alone. If you start clipping/distorting your front speakers you should be able to tell pretty quickly.

Then refer to point 1. The reason we suggest setting subwoofer gains with a dmm is because for most it's difficult to detect clipping with your ear alone. If you start clipping/distorting your front speakers you should be able to tell pretty quickly.
Thanks for the help man, I tuned it up today after I got out of work. I guess I've been watching too many mids and highs test on youtube and expected too much from my entry level system lol. Sounds nice though.

Okay so I currently have a Kenwood BT558U headunit (1-35 volume), Kenwood KAC-8405 (60 rms x 4 ohms), Memphis 15-mc260 6.5 coaxials in the front, and Alpine SPE-6000 6.5 coaxials in the back. Now when I try set set my gains with the DMM method using the square root of 240 I get 15.49 and I use my flash drive with the 1k test tone from RoE set at 26 volume. I can match it up pretty fine with the DMM but when I actually play music anything from volume 1 to 16 is barely audible and around 25-27 seems to be the sweet spot. Am I just used to the speakers being run from the headunit and distorting really quick? Or am I messing something up? I also have the high pass filter on the amp set to 100hz
Sounds normal, lots of head units have a jump at different volumes.

I'd go up to 30-32 when setting the gains though. Rather have the head unit send a stronger signal then the amp gains on the higher end.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.