Help with proper gauge wiring.

Skoty422
10+ year member

I have two amps. RF power bd1500.1 and a precision power pc275. The 1500 says it takes a 150 amp fuse and the 275 says 35 amp. Should I run two seperate wires from battery or just one? If just one then what size main fuse or circuit breaker should I use? And what size wire?

If I go into a distribution block then I will go 4ga to 1500 and 8 ga to 275? Also the 1500 will be pushing two jl 10w3 d2. And the 275 will run a set of cdt hd62 components. I can not get a 35 amp anl fuse so should I go with a 30 amp? Also, I already have a 140 amp circuit breaker. Could I use that on the 1500 instead of buying a 150 amp since I'll just be pushing 750 watts? And I was thinking of using 8 ga for sub wires and 16 ga for component wires. Does that sound ok?

I know that's a lot to answer so bear with me. And thanks in advance to all that replies!!

Install will be from main battery in 2004 Chevy 2500 extd cab. I also have a 1 farad voodoo capacitor I can use but don't know if I should put it before distribution block or just on the 1500!

Use 0 gauge to a dist block, then if you ever upgrade you will have the power supply needed.

And 8 gauge wire for the subs sounds a lil over kill.

Cap should not go before the dist block. If you read around a lil bit, you'll find that most people recommend not even using them.

So don't use the cap? Ok. It just looks cool with the graphics and digital readout on the top. Lol. If I use 0 ga to a block then what size fuse or cb should I use since the ppi takes a 35? Would a 180 be good enough?

So don't use the cap? Ok. It just looks cool with the graphics and digital readout on the top. Lol. If I use 0 ga to a block then what size fuse or cb should I use since the ppi takes a 35? Would a 180 be good enough?
i agree i would start with running true 0 gauge from front battery + to trunk . then use a distribution block to split into a 8 gauge for the mids and highs amp . and 4 gauge for the sub amp. 180 would be good enough. i would personally put a 200anl amp fuse. no more then six inches away from positive battery terminal inline with the power wire of course. 8 and 12gauge speaker wires are too big . good luck trying to fit in the push terminals on the jls. i would use 18 for mids and highs . 12 gauge for subs.should be plenty enough to transfer enough power

---------- Post added at 02:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 AM ----------

big 3 upgrade would also help more then the cap will .

Ok. I will run 0 ga power wire to distribution block. Then use 200 amp anl by battery. Then split up at block and use a 150 amp anl and a 30 amp anl in block. I will have to buy everything listed above.

I do already have a distribution block with round snap in fuses for 30 amp and I have a 140 amp circuit breaker that I could use if that would be ok to drop the 10 amps. If so, that would probably save me about $50 that I would spend on the anl fuses and fuse holder. Thank you all very much. Also I already have a toll of 16 ga speaker wire. Should I buy anything bigger for subs?

Using the 140 amp circuit breaker would be fine, 10 amps wont matter. But if it keeps blowing the breaker then you will know you might need the extra 10 amps.

For the subs I would personally use 12g wire, if you have really short runs the 16g might be ok.

If you already have lots of 16g, maybe you can just double up the wire? Not sure if this is recommended. Maybe a expert can chime in here?

I'll just get some 12 ga. For subs. I wont need much. Maybe I can find someone on here selling some 1 ga power lead and some 12 ga speaker wire. With a power dist block and be lucky enough for them to have the proper fuses too. Hahaha. Well, you never know.

hey skoty rub 10 gauge for the subs ,also you can do a mini anl for the ppi amp,considering youll be running around 1000 watts rms only use cca wire ,i have a couple of friends on the forum here that will sell you enough for cheap.also no cap do the big 3 instead .if you send me a pic of your alt i have a 175 amp one that my fit your truck too that i can sell you .,16 gauge is good for the components

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.