help with new box

Participant count
  • Participant list

solo33
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
iowa
i built a ported box 5 cubes @34 htz for my 2 12" type r's (the newer ones) and i didnt like that sound on it at all. so i want to build a new box for them. i running them off a jbl gto 1201.1. it gives each sub about 550w rms a peice. i listen to mostly rock and metal(double kickdrums) , i want to feel the deep bass but get loud too. should i go ported or sealed? please help me out what do you guys recm. for box size and tuning? i was thinking more like 30-32htz?

PS: leaning towards more SQ. thanks

I would say seal them. Since you have two subs, they'll get plenty loud while sounding the best they can in a sealed box.

that's what i did w/ my IDMAXs

Ported, tune those babies a tad bit higher. I hate type Rs in a decent sized enclosure tuned too low. My friend's single 12 was in a 2.5 cubic foot box tuned to 32hz which was a big no no. Even off 800 watts it didn't really get loud at all. Put them sealed for a more flat response, or tune higher to get that loudness they can deliver.

I heard the newer R's didnt sound too well sealed...I have the older version and they sound absolutly amazing sealed in a 1.25ft^3 box...tight, crips and with 2, were plenty loud.

i had them tuned at 34 htz and didnt really like how they sounded. i listen to all metal and hard rock. so what would be a good SQ box to build for them.

tune them to 27hz...

I've never played with the new type-r. Have no reason to. But most rock/metal music will have a better responce in a low tuned enclosure. Increased low end output, less of a peak @ the higher tunning frequency, so on.

help me out guys i listen to morsly rock and metal so i want SQ but i want itto get loud too

come on guys please help out. i searched and all i found was good boxes for music like rap and stuff like that. what would be a good one for rock and metal?

trial and error will be the best way to answer your question. and it gives you a reason to build more //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.