Help with mounting depth please

TrakDay
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
FL
I am looking at doing a 12" Type R under the rear seat in my truck. The box is 6.5" deep and the sub has a depth of 6 3/8". How much space do I need? or would I be better off just going with the 10" Alpine Type R? I know I could go with the new slim sub, but it seems silly to do that if I can do a 10" Type R with the space I have available!?

Thoughts?

1/8" is not recommended //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif Try 2-3" or so if possible.

And the "please" helped. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

So I would be better to just go with a slim Type R then... I want to get this stuff ordered real soon!

unless im mistaken there is no vent on the bottom of those motors, in that case youll be fine with that mounting depth.
From Alpines site...

Frame

* Material: Cast Aluminum

* Design: Perimeter Vented Heat Transfer (Patent Pending), Integrated Shorting Sleeve and Airflow Management System

Any other suggestions for a sub to fit in a 6.5" depth?

I really want to stay away from a shallow mount speaker. Is there a 10" sub out there that I could run in a 6.5" depth box and possibly port? Seems like 12s are hopeless if I go this route.

Thoughts?

one method to gain clearance, is to cut a hole in the back of the baox and install a metal plate. i actually have a stack of aluminum plates for this purpose, and they can transfer heat. alternatives will depend on price, but have you given thought to deflection clearance? you have to think about cone rigidity and box space. infinity perfects are a nice choice, and have a tuneable pole vent, but are kind of sensitive to heat near max power. also look at eclipse, kicker, and phoenix gold. the kicker l-series fairs well in trucks, since you can get the same output with a smaller sub. regarding shallows- they are making large improvememnts lately in shallows, and it would also allow you to move the sub further away from the deflection source. i am assuming the sub fires at the floor..... also, i have seen a real nice design for a slotted vent box that fires square 8's foreward, but still all contained under the seat. 2 8's can get you 125db+ @5-600wrms easily

Any other suggestions for a sub to fit in a 6.5" depth?
I really want to stay away from a shallow mount speaker. Is there a 10" sub out there that I could run in a 6.5" depth box and possibly port? Seems like 12s are hopeless if I go this route.

Thoughts?
I am running the Fi Audio X series subs, their depth will work for you. If you look on Fi's website, they list the a mounting depth that INCLUDES clearance for the pole vent to breathe. This accounts for about 3/4'' of depth.

I am running the Fi Audio X series subs, their depth will work for you. If you look on Fi's website, they list the a mounting depth that INCLUDES clearance for the pole vent to breathe. This accounts for about 3/4'' of depth.
This looks like a really good option for me! I would probably do a single 12 on my Kicker 06 zx750.1 amp. Thoughts on 2 or 4 ohms?

Is the FI SSD mount depth rated the same way? If so it will work, thoughts on that?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.