Help with install all crossed up on xovers

wheelert15

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a question on the best way to utilize what I have. This is in a 08 Chevy Impala. My question is about
the crossovers and time alignment. My headunit is capable of both to some degree. Should I be using the
passive crossovers at all? Should I do away with the Dayton DSP? Any suggestions would be appreciated, I'm
new to the DSP, time alignment, and digital xovers. Below is what I have to work with.

Alpine ILXF-509 head unit
Rockfor Fosgate Power 800 4 channel
Taramps Smart3K mono
Pioneer GM-E360X4 Class A/B 4-Channel Bridged to rear deck (Sonys)
Sony 6 x 9 rear deck full range, just a pair I had no sure model
Rockfor Fosgate Power T5652 S Component Mids and Tweets, doors and pillars
Rockfor Fosgate Power Crossovers for components
Rockfor Fosgate P3D4 Loaded Sub Enclosure 2, 12's
Dayton DSP-408 Processor
2 runs of 0 gauge OFC wire
2 basically stock batteries

Welcome
You have a nice collection of components.
I really know nothing about dsp. The small amount I do know has come from online “research”. My understanding is that the complexity of setting a dsp up can be well worth the effort. It seems about any combination of equipment can sound excellent. Crossovers are basically set points to limit or control the frequencies sent to a pair of speakers. Example; my front components play within 55-20,000 hz. So I use the front crossover to limit the low level frequency so as not to blow the speakers. Playing outside the frequency range damages speakers.
I began setting the crossovers to 60hz for my cabin speakers. Then using the basic dsp features in my jvc hu I raised and widened the “sound stage” to my liking. To make it wider or higher the dsp changes in milliseconds the time delay each speaker plays effectively changing the listening position.
Your p3s play down to 28hz. The amp that powers them likely has a subsonic filter which is a crossover limiting the lows to that 28hz.
Maybe try changing some features on your hu first to see what you like. I personally looked into a dsp yet I believe I’d be fn w it FOREVER never being satisfied. I saw it as a rabbit hole I dared not go in.
Not saying you shouldn’t dabble but try some more simple adjustments first.

Welcome
You have a nice collection of components.
I really know nothing about dsp. The small amount I do know has come from online “research”. My understanding is that the complexity of setting a dsp up can be well worth the effort. It seems about any combination of equipment can sound excellent. Crossovers are basically set points to limit or control the frequencies sent to a pair of speakers. Example; my front components play within 55-20,000 hz. So I use the front crossover to limit the low level frequency so as not to blow the speakers. Playing outside the frequency range damages speakers.
I began setting the crossovers to 60hz for my cabin speakers. Then using the basic dsp features in my jvc hu I raised and widened the “sound stage” to my liking. To make it wider or higher the dsp changes in milliseconds the time delay each speaker plays effectively changing the listening position.
Your p3s play down to 28hz. The amp that powers them likely has a subsonic filter which is a crossover limiting the lows to that 28hz.
Maybe try changing some features on your hu first to see what you like. I personally looked into a dsp yet I believe I’d be fn w it FOREVER never being satisfied. I saw it as a rabbit hole I dared not go in.
Not saying you shouldn’t dabble but try some more simple adjustments firs

Thanks for your reply, does it hurt anything to go thru more than 1 xover. Like if I set my hu or dsp xover and then ran it thru the passive xovers? I thought I read that this would get the signal out of phase? I have alot to learn about this dsp business and I'm wondering if it is worth the extra effort. My hu is has xover capabilities as well as time alignment, I just thought it would be really nice to be able to control all the speakers completely separate from one another. I will keep messing with it over the weekend and see if I can get something close to what I am hoping for.

It’s generally not recommended however I have not noticed a negative to having the xover set then having those inline ones to protect the 6.75 components/tweeters. I prefer to have to run more power to them. If I’m not mistaken it’s thought going through two x can muddy the signal. I doubt it’ll reverse polarity or invert phase.
If you run the amp x over and hu x over as double protection this is where the problem may occur.
Car audio fabrication has a lot of crucial yet understandable videos on many topics of audio equipment.

My opinion is if I were going to do it I’d get the jl one. It offers 3 levels of tuning. Meaning it’s capable of deep tuning every aspect on a multi speaker system, has an app to aid in controlling and setting parameters on each level. Audio control is another but you have one so give er a shot😊👍🏻

There's no harm in using multiple crossovers, there just isn't really a point. You should compare them and see if you might be able to use both. Might be able to use a HPF on one and a LPF on the other to really narrow the frequency. Specifically setting the HPF on the head unit for the subs, and the LPF on the sub amp (to narrow their frequency to just the exact frequency range your subs are rated for), or LPF on the head unit for the components, and then the HPF on the components so you keep the low bass out of the components that is below their frequency.

If you set the crossovers on the equipment, then they are mechanical and you won't lose the settings when you lose stored power to the head unit, (disconnect the battery).
If you set the crossovers at the head unit, then you have to reset them, but you are sending out a more narrow frequency range for the amp to focus on.

USE THE CROSSOVERS THAT COME WITH THE COMPONENTS. They are going to be at the right frequencies, and it will be plug and play. You won't have to reset them, and you won't have to worry about not resetting them.

Last edited:
There's no harm in using multiple crossovers, there just isn't really a point. You should compare them and see if you might be able to use both. Might be able to use a HPF on one and a LPF on the other to really narrow the frequency. Specifically setting the HPF on the head unit for the subs, and the LPF on the sub amp (to narrow their frequency to just the exact frequency range your subs are rated for), or LPF on the head unit for the components, and then the HPF on the components so you keep the low bass out of the components that is below their frequency.

If you set the crossovers on the equipment, then they are mechanical and you won't lose the settings when you lose stored power to the head unit, (disconnect the battery).
If you set the crossovers at the head unit, then you have to reset them, but you are sending out a more narrow frequency range for the amp to focus on.

USE THE CROSSOVERS THAT COME WITH THE COMPONENTS. They are going to be at the right frequencies, and it will be plug and play. You won't have to reset them, and you won't have to worry about not resetting them.
That makes sense to me, I was afraid if I bypassed those and messed up setting the others I may damage my component speakers. I'll play with it some this weekend and see how it all turns out. I will start off just using my dsp with all settings at 0 and no filters, maybe use it for time correction at this point as I'm able to save its settings to a file on PC or phone app. I'll also start by using head unit for xovers on subs for hp. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...