Help with enclosure for sundown U12

Participant count
  • Participants list

JoshuaDrake

CarAudio.com Newbie
I’m in the process of designing an enclosure for my sons car it will be in the trunk of a Camry the size will be around 2.5 cubes and was going to use two 4 inch aero ports around 10 inches in length. The dimensions of the box would be 38 inches wide by 13.5 high by 12 inches deep. The sub would be a sundown U12. Do these calculations seem accurate? I’ve built several sealed boxes over the years but kinda new to ported.

I’m in the process of designing an enclosure for my sons car it will be in the trunk of a Camry the size will be around 2.5 cubes and was going to use two 4 inch aero ports around 10 inches in length. The dimensions of the box would be 38 inches wide by 13.5 high by 12 inches deep. The sub would be a sundown U12. Do these calculations seem accurate? I’ve built several sealed boxes over the years but kinda new to ported.
Quick and dirty w/o bracing it looks to me that box will be tuned in the 40's even with a single baffle.
In that trunk /w/ that footprint I'd probably go with a single 6" aero about 25"-26" long and that would be using a single baffle and braced. I'd side fire the port /w/ sub facing back. Maybe consider using Russian Baltic birch depending on how much power your going to throw at it. It'll buy you some more airspace and make it more possible to go single baffle (braced).

The single aero would be more efficient and give you an increase in port area.

After that once its built play with placement for best results.

What I said should put you mid 30's tuning wise and what that sub likes.

My plan is a double baffle and whatever bracing or box dimensions I need to get it between probably 2.25 and 2.5 ft.³ I know sundown recommends 2.00. Do you think that it would benefit having a little extra space? And I planned on running the sub facing forward with the trunk sealed as best I can without using spray foam or something that would be permanent or alter the vehicle too much this will be a daily driver mainly listening to rap. He’s not going for a competition vehicle or chasing SPL numbers or anything. That’s the reason I was wanting to go with 4 inch ports because I’m only gonna have about 12 inches port length to work with facing the ports forward. I don’t have the software to model any of these designs. I was just trying to get some suggestions from people, more knowledgeable than myself.

Here’s another idea I was thinking of. I’m doing a single 12 in the center of the box just for aesthetics I was wanting ports on the sides of the sub. Would two slot ports work. If I needed 32 inches of port area and one port needs to be 3” wide by 10” tall and 15”deep. Could I just do two and make them 1.5” wide. Just using these dimensions as an example. Or would I have to lengthen the port as well?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...