Help with dead sub

Participant count
  • Participant list

Drutherford92

Just put the system in and it worked fine. Today I went to put in a bass control knob and noticed one of the subs doesn't work anymore. So I finished with the head and moved to the trunk to diagnose the problem.

Took the sub out of the box and moved it to the working sub to check if it was good. Works fine. So i assume it's in the wiring from the amp or the amp itself or possibly the connector from box to sub.

Keep in mind I'm not exactly sure what reading I'm supposed to get from a working sub. Had the meter set to 20dc.

Put a meter on the good sub channel got a reading. Put it on the bad sub channel and it got a negative reading. I don't remember what they were though sorry.

I'm sure I wired it right but I'm getting some new wire and redoing it anyways. But what I need to know is what someone with some experience in this thinks it could be. I'm leaning towards a problem with the amp.

I can get specifics on info if that's needed but I didn't want to make this any longer than I had to for fear of being ignored.

Swap the working subwoofer and the dead sub. If the ‘dead’ sub now works, it is a wiring/amp problem. If it is still dead, you have a bad sub. Use the same process of elimination for the speaker wiring and rca cables till you find the problem.

Sounds like you may not be in the correct Ohm load as one sub will play and not the other if wiring at a different ohm load that the amp is stabalized at.First thing is to get the Model # off the subs being used and look them up to see what ohm load each coil is on each sub.Use a Digital Multimeter to see if any coils are damaged are not reading correctly.Look up amplifier/Mono amplifier, or amplifier specs by brand and model # and see what ohm load it is stable at and wire your subs if applicable to meet that ohm load to maintain at that ohm load STABLE.wiring and amp loads can be easily googled to find the proper wiring configuration,as well as finding the correct specs of both the amplifiers specs and sub woofer specs.You need to know what you have and what the limitations are and how they perform stable in order to function properly.Dont just wire equipment up..you can damage an amplifier and or a sub or a pair of subs or any other component

Swap the working subwoofer and the dead sub. If the ‘dead’ sub now works, it is a wiring/amp problem. If it is still dead, you have a bad sub. Use the same process of elimination for the speaker wiring and rca cables till you find the problem.
This is bad advice..This could lead to damaging a sub or a pair of subs and even the amplifier, all 3 or any other component of the system.He could possibly trying to wire up to a lower ohm load and possibly fry his amp along with sub or subs. Get a DMM and google your component specs and start from scratch before something gets damaged and have to start digging back into your pockets to replace damaged goods

Planet audio amp is 1200w max 225 x 2 at 4 ohms

PB subs are svc 4 ohms 500w max 250 rms

I believe I did the math right but could be wrong.

2 channel amp one sub off each channel nothing fancy.

And yes the subs are still good. I swapped them to check but I didn't check the rca in the head into because one was still working so I figured it wasn't them. But I will check them in the morning and see if it solves anything. But if anyone has any other suggestions they're greatly appreciated.

Sounds like you may not be in the correct Ohm load as one sub will play and not the other if wiring at a different ohm load that the amp is stabalized at.First thing is to get the Model # off the subs being used and look them up to see what ohm load each coil is on each sub.Use a Digital Multimeter to see if any coils are damaged are not reading correctly.Look up amplifier/Mono amplifier, or amplifier specs by brand and model # and see what ohm load it is stable at and wire your subs if applicable to meet that ohm load to maintain at that ohm load STABLE.wiring and amp loads can be easily googled to find the proper wiring configuration,as well as finding the correct specs of both the amplifiers specs and sub woofer specs.You need to know what you have and what the limitations are and how they perform stable in order to function properly.Dont just wire equipment up..you can damage an amplifier and or a sub or a pair of subs or any other component
I'm thinking you could possibly be right. The amp I have is rated at

450w x 2 at 2 ohms

225w x 2 at 4 ohms

And subs are svc 4 ohms 250 rms.

If these are usable with the amp I have how should it be wired?

Right now all I have is each sub separated positive and negative hooked to separate channels. Hopefully I'm explaining this right.

450w x 2 at 2 ohms

225w x 2 at 4 ohms

Right now all I have is each sub separated positive and negative hooked to separate channels. Hopefully I'm explaining this right.
https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=1&I=41#results

One sub to each channel for the 250x2 @4 ohms or if you want to run at 2 ohm load you will use one ch of the amp and wire this way for the 450x1@ 2ohm for one Ch.not using the other channel in Mono/ bridged mode

https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=2&I=41#results

This will free up two channels to run in stereo from 4 ohm up to 2 ohms stereo if youd like for your front stage for ch 1&2 of which 3&4 bridged mono to run the subs,/thus running your 4 ch amplifier in a 3 ch mode/ stereo mono mixed configuration

450w x 2 at 2 ohms

225w x 2 at 4 ohms

Id run what you have/ utilize what you have until you decide you want more or use what you have that may be all you need/ want for now and works for you

Id run what you have/ utilize what you have until you decide you want more or use what you have that may be all you need/ want for now and works for you
Yes this is all I really want but I'm still having the one sub not working with it wired for 225 x 2 at 4 ohms

Yes this is all I really want but I'm still having the one sub not working with it wired for 225 x 2 at 4 ohms
You may have a bad coil on a sub or one ch bad on your amp possibly.If subs read fine and one of the ch are bad on the amp, You stillhave that option to wire to 2 ohm on the two good ch on the amp to run the subs

You may have a bad coil on a sub or one ch bad on your amp possibly.If subs read fine and one of the ch are bad on the amp, You stillhave that option to wire to 2 ohm on the two good ch on the amp to run the subs
My subs are fine. And yes it's seeming like one channel on the amp is bad. My amp is only two channels. So how would I wire the amp off one channel for both of my subs to work without being damaged. Sub And amp specs are in earlier posts.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.