SoundQubed vs JBL vs Alpine vs Rockford

• Total voters

Jcsaudio

Senior VIP Member
Rockford Fosgate R500X1D Prime

JBL GTX 500

Alpine MRV M500

SoundQubed S1-850

These are all within the same price range. I have older Alpine amplifiers and they are decent. I have the GTX 500 and it’s powerful. I’m intrigued by SoundQubed but somewhat turned off the the warranty but it seems like a qaulity amp. No experience with Rockford other than the crappy DSR1.

This amplifier will be for a Sundown SD3 10” DVC 4 ohm sub in my regular cab truck. Anyone have experience with he SoundQubed S1-850?

Last edited by a moderator:
we know the jbl does good power (been tested) the sq just came out no one has them yet bigblank did test the sq2250 and it did rated.. idk about warrantys but if u buy one i'd get the sq.. if u worry about warranty blank just tested at pa amp did 600rms, has ss filter it's a korean amp and $85 at walmart like he said u can get extended warranty at walmart for like $20.. i'd keep the jbl if using sealed box

This is the JBL setup in my Jeep Comanche it rocks ..it’s the JBL 3ch going to the Polk Momo 10s ..the front chs are wired to a set of Aura components..but I’ll be changing to MB Quart or Pioneer components pretty soon ...The sub part of the amp is the same as the gtx500

I have the rockford, I got it on amazon for like 130 bucks and have had it for about a year powering one kicker ten and have had no issues. the sheet it came with said it tested at like 570 rms or something like that but def over 500

The current JBL GTX 500 I have just got moved to my Sienna and it’s running the Alpine sub in that van, which sounds the same as it did with the Alpine MRP 450 (no surprise there). I had a JBL Club 5501 but the mosfets for the power supply fried while I was testing with a test tone, although that was my fault really. Pushed it too far I guess. In my amp guts video the GTX appeared to be better built than the Club 5501 and it did dyno higher by bigblank69.

The Sundown SD3 is installed in a modified/braced sealed truck box with a net displacement of .5 cubes so I plane to give it up to the full 500 watts RMS it’s rated for by Sundown in that size box. It’s always good to have a little headroom though so anything rated higher is obviously better. The Alpine I’m reading about tends to dyno in the 530-545 watt rms range. The SoundQubed amp is a 1 ohm stable amp though that they claim is rated 900 watts rms at 1 ohm. If that’s true and it’s clean than that is incredible for that price. Tough choice here, Rockford has a solid following of very satisfied customers.

The current JBL GTX 500 I have just got moved to my Sienna and it’s running the Alpine sub in that van, which sounds the same as it did with the Alpine MRP 450 (no surprise there). I had a JBL Club 5501 but the mosfets for the power supply fried while I was testing with a test tone, although that was my fault really. Pushed it too far I guess. In my amp guts video the GTX appeared to be better built than the Club 5501 and it did dyno higher by bigblank69.
The Sundown SD3 is installed in a modified/braced sealed truck box with a net displacement of .5 cubes so I plane to give it up to the full 500 watts RMS it’s rated for by Sundown in that size box. It’s always good to have a little headroom though so anything rated higher is obviously better. The Alpine I’m reading about tends to dyno in the 530-545 watt rms range. The SoundQubed amp is a 1 ohm stable amp though that they claim is rated 900 watts rms at 1 ohm. If that’s true and it’s clean than that is incredible for that price. Tough choice here, Rockford has a solid following of very satisfied customers.
i take it your sub is a d2 so unless u gonna run 2 later the 1 ohm rating won't matter or u could get different d2 sub i guess.. i'd get the sq if u gonna buy one u can also look at skar 800m it's pretty and water proof lol does over 800 anyway https://www.amazon.com/Skar-Audio-RP-800-1DM-Monoblock-Amplifier/dp/B0747ZHK7D/ref=sr_1_5?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1521405662&sr=1-5&keywords=skar+mono+amplifier+car+audio

i take it your sub is a d2 so unless u gonna run 2 later the 1 ohm rating won't matter or u could get different d2 sub i guess.. i'd get the sq if u gonna buy one u can also look at skar 800m it's pretty and water proof lol does over 800 anyway https://www.amazon.com/Skar-Audio-RP-800-1DM-Monoblock-Amplifier/dp/B0747ZHK7D/ref=sr_1_5?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1521405662&sr=1-5&keywords=skar+mono+amplifier+car+audio
It’s a D4 wired for 2 ohm so unless I get another D4 and wire both to 1 ohm I really don’t need it. I guess the option of having the 1 ohm capability is nice to have but not nessesary. In fact I just installed that Sundown SD3 with my old Alpine MRP 450 pushing 400 watts and it’s more then enough for my daily driven regular cab work truck. The sound quality is good too. Puts my JL Audio 8” Microsub to shame at least in the spl department anyway.

Seems like JBL and Rockford Fosgate are the favorites here. Funny I noticed while setting the gain that the pots on the Alpine seem to have better quality feel than the JBL and Infinity amps I have. Could just be me though!

It’s a D4 wired for 2 ohm so unless I get another D4 and wire both to 1 ohm I really don’t need it. I guess the option of having the 1 ohm capability is nice to have but not nessesary. In fact I just installed that Sundown SD3 with my old Alpine MRP 450 pushing 400 watts and it’s more then enough for my daily driven regular cab work truck. The sound quality is good too. Puts my JL Audio 8” Microsub to shame at least in the spl department anyway.
Seems like JBL and Rockford Fosgate are the favorites here. Funny I noticed while setting the gain that the pots on the Alpine seem to have better quality feel than the JBL and Infinity amps I have. Could just be me though!
nothing wrong with alpine., probably mostly good stuff we were just tell u best bang for $.. i think alot of peeps here are kinda just over alpine, i feel sure they do rated power but like u said that gtx killed it's rating.. i'd even through in pioneer 8601($99 walmart) u saw blanks over 800rms dyno on that but no ss filter so i normally don't rec those or jbl unless sealed box.. if u think u may add a sub or get bigger box for deeper sub then get something that'll do 1 ohm i think the skar and the sq are good deals..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...