Help With Box (pics Inside)

Devilsob
10+ year member

NY
I have a kicker solobaric L7 15L7 15inch sub. i went to a shop and they charged me 70 bucks for a sub box. no way im payin 70 for a box.

heres my question.

What kind of wood can i use to make a sub box?

can i use nails? or can i use wood glue, and leave over night.

and dose this box look good to you guys?

dont make fun of my drawings //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

http://www.angelfire.com/nj4/sub/index.html

You should make the box from 3/4" MDF and I always use 1 5/8" coarse thread drywall screws (countersunk with pilot holes to avoid splitting). I also wood-glue all the pieces together. When designing your box be sure to take the thickness of the box into account. $70 isn't really that bad for a single 15 L7 box - you paid enough for that sub, you may want to be sure the box is built correctly. Make sure it's MDF and not particleboard though - and be sure its 3/4" MDF. Also, if its a really big box, you may want to consider internal bracing as well to make the box more solid and resonate less.

Use 3/4" MDF for your wood, and also pick up some 1 5/8" coarse thread drywall screws and a squeeze tube of liquid nails.

As for the box, it is 1.654 cubes using the dimension you used as outside dimensions. That is pretty good for the 15" because kicker recommends a minimum of 1.5 cubes sealed for it. The sub will displace alot of air though, but all in all that box should be fine.

What MDF stand for? sorry for the stupid questions //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

What MDF stand for? sorry for the stupid questions //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
medium density fiberboard.

You could go to any home depot or menards and find it. It will probably say on the tag "medium density fiberboard (MDF)".

medium density fiberboard.
You could go to any home depot or menards and find it. It will probably say on the tag "medium density fiberboard (MDF)".

ok i made a sample of the sub box. and it dident fit in my mustang. can i trim some of it down. (note i did not use the MDF wood, i used regular wood to see if the box would fit,)

rofl, its nearly impossible to fit a 15 inch sub in a mustang trunk.

any ideas? have any of guys put a 15' in a stang? . should i take my spare out and create some space there?

why not just take some time and measure the inside of the trunk and conture the box to the inside of the trunk. Even though it seems like you have little experience in doing so, just grab a tape measure and start to draw it out. Use an angled front panel or even angle the back to conform to the seat. Use at least 3/4 inch MDF since its a bigger sub, get all the dimesions and peice together your box. Make sure to seal it all up with some silicon caulk so it doesnt vibrate and have poor resonance. Most importantly though measure before you make all your cuts and plans so that the box actually fits in the trunk.

OR

Buy the $70 Box and save yourself the trouble since with the little experience it seems you have, you might spend more time and effort building one than its worth.

Good luck either way

why not just take some time and measure the inside of the trunk and conture the box to the inside of the trunk. Even though it seems like you have little experience in doing so, just grab a tape measure and start to draw it out. Use an angled front panel or even angle the back to conform to the seat. Use at least 3/4 inch MDF since its a bigger sub, get all the dimesions and peice together your box. Make sure to seal it all up with some silicon caulk so it doesnt vibrate and have poor resonance. Most importantly though measure before you make all your cuts and plans so that the box actually fits in the trunk.
OR

Buy the $70 Box and save yourself the trouble since with the little experience it seems you have, you might spend more time and effort building one than its worth.

Good luck either way

lol.. see what i did is i got that box and told the guy "im not sure if this thing is going to fit in my trunk ( he has a no return policy in his shop) so i talked him down and told him that if this dosent fit in my trunk if i could return it. he said ok, but it has to be tomorrow. so i got it and took down all the measurements and stuff ( since im not expert at making these things) and build a near perfect replica of it with MDF 3/4 wood the whole 9 yards.

sooo now the box isent fitting in my tunk.

i plan on doing the fiberglass. taking my spare tire out and fiberglassing that

You probably didnt count in the 3/4 MDF board. Makes up 1 1/2 more inches onto external size. Just take ur time getting measurements think it all out. E. Z.

for example: my truck box i made i needed 6 inches. I made cut for top 4 1/2 because. the front piece and back piece would make up 1 1/2 inches. If it was Off it wouldnt fit at all so i got it perfect.

You only have to worry about it for the sides and bottom and top. If you put it all between the back and front pieces.

Hopefully that is comprehendable.

You probably didnt count in the 3/4 MDF board. Makes up 1 1/2 more inches onto external size. Just take ur time getting measurements think it all out. E. Z.
for example: my truck box i made i needed 6 inches. I made cut for top 4 1/2 because. the front piece and back piece would make up 1 1/2 inches. If it was Off it wouldnt fit at all so i got it perfect.

You only have to worry about it for the sides and bottom and top. If you put it all between the back and front pieces.

Hopefully that is comprehendable.

thanks for your help, ill take measurements tomorrow afternoon. and post them. ill see if i can get pics too.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.