help with box design (subs up, vent back)

Participant count
  • Participant list

ken72988
10+ year member

who wants candy?
I wanna get two 15" subs. but the ONLY way im gonna have them fit easily in my cavalier trunk is building a box with the subs face up and the vent face back.. all the pics ive seen of this enclosure i cant oviously see indide the box to see how they are designed the vents all go and stuff.. if anyone can make a disign for me that would be awesome OR atleast tell me what the vents look like(skelital view).. max size box ( 35"w 14"h 20"d )

the subs im gonna get are the Audiopipe TXX-AP15, cant afford L7's

3.5 to 4. cuft per chamber for the audiopipe txx-ap15 sub.. im not sure about the tunning or what hz the box should be, i guess w/e sound hz would make more sound pressure in the car haha iunno, thats what im lookin for

the wood im gonna use is 3/4 mdf if that helps too, thx

also im actualy debating this setup ^ VS. two 10" L7's in a SEALED box..

thats a nice box, I want the same just with two subs and another port on the other side, still facing back, for the other sub.. I guess oviously ill have to give them a tad less airspace then thier recomended but i could try and squeeze another inch in the depth of the box and still hopefully be able to fit it in my trunk

btw, my old system was 35"w 13"h 20"d... i was able to fit that in my trunk, barely, but i got it in thier

If I remember correctly the most airspace you can get out of a cavalier trunk is 5 cubes gross. Your either going to go sealed or 1 ported. With the dimensions you gave thats only 4.4 cubes. If you had a problem getting that in there you will never get 2 15" ported in there.

I can fit two 15's in my trunk sealed, with the subs facing up, so the hight of the box can be shorter instead of 16" if they were facing back, standing up... all the box need then is a port that will face back... but im not sure how to design the port in the box, cause its different then the vent normaly would be like between the two subs..

I can fit two 15's in my trunk sealed, with the subs facing up, so the hight of the box can be shorter instead of 16" if they were facing back, standing up... all the box need then is a port that will face back... but im not sure how to design the port in the box, cause its different then the vent normaly would be like between the two subs..
A ported box';s internal volume requirement is generally twice that of its sealed counterpart. Add in for port area, and its gonna be twice as big.
Since budget is a concern, I suggest buying a single L7 (since thats what you seem to actually want) and build the optimal enclosure for it. Chances are that'd end up being louder, and sounding better, than trying to squeeze 2 mediocre 15" subs into too small an area/enclosure.

I use to have one of those cavaliers. The only realistic way I see putting a pair of 15's ported in it, is to lose the back seat and wall off the trunk.

so do u think 1 15" would be louder and overall better in a nice built to spec vented box(facing back), compared to two 15"s sealed(facing up)?

Your max dimensions

my old system was 35"w 13"h 20"d... i was able to fit that in my trunk, barely, but i got it in thier
are 5.26 cubes. That means there is no way in hell you are going to fit 2 15s ported. Your best bet would be 1 15 ported in a box that is smaller than recommended. A 15 generally needs 4 cubes net, and with sub, wood, and port displacement, there is no way you're going to be able to fit all that in 5.26 cubes unless you go with very little port. So, I think you may want to look into a pair of 10s ported, 12s sealed, or a 15 ported in like 3.5 cubes.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.