Help with 02 Tahoe build

Participant count
  • Participant list

Flanuva

Hey guys and gals!

I am getting ready to completely rework my 02 Tahoe. I am doing the carpet, headliner, making a custom console, basically doing a color change in my interior going from neutral and more neutral to black and Neutral.

My last sub build was in the 90's (telling my age, I know) with a 1971 Porsche 911 Targa with a complete Alpine system with 2 12's so yeah......I am out of the loop with sub builds.

Anyway, I need some advice on the sub selection, but I don't want this to be a vs. thread. I have been doing research for the past couple months and every time I seem to find the right sub, I search just a little bit more and find more negative than positive reviews. Unfortunately, I am a perfectionist at times...especially with my music. Being a drummer and guitar player has that effect on people I guess

I am leaning towards 3 10's , 2 12's or 3 12's behind the 2nd row seats of my Tahoe. My maximum box specs would be 48"L, 20"H and 12"-14" deep. since I need to keep some space. My budget is under $500 for subs and preferably under 600-800 watts each.

I like it loud at times and mellow other times. I like feeling the bass of the kick drum and enjoying the bass guitar's minor changes in rock (Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold etc....) but also like the deep bass hits in hip-hop and rap occasionally.

Any advice would be helpful and thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like feeling the bass of the kick drum and enjoying the bass guitar's minor changes in rock (Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold etc....) but also like the deep bass hits in hip-hop and rap occasionally.
Any advice would be helpful and thanks in advance.
More importantly you'll need to take care in properly sound deadening your doors (or kicks) and installing some good midbass drivers. Most shortcomings happen where the sub crosses into the mids. Any sub can play higher frequencies but it'll pull your soundstage behind you if you're not careful blending into the right fronts.

That said, you have about 7.5 cube gross for a box so IMO a single 15 is more up your alley for how much space you have to work with.

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofer-classifieds/631972-1-eclipse-sw9152-ti-pro.html

You should buy this right away, it's an absolute steal at his asking price (lowered on the last page) and it is a woofer that is well regarded for sounding good and getting loud. Better yet, is even broken you could sell it for an easy 300 or rebuild it into whatever you like (if you blow it up or your dog eats the surround or whatever). The TC sounds 4hp is really a tremendous platform.

If you like to stay mainstream, you will still be happy with Alpine. Their head units are still high quality, amps are solid, and their type R speaker line are very good value and performance (as far as big box store brands).

A lot of conventional wisdom has changed over the last 20 years. Don't be too stuck on a lot of your old ideas.

[quote name='Flanuva']Hey guys and gals!

I am getting ready to completely rework my 02 Tahoe. I am doing the carpet, headliner, making a custom console, basically doing a color change in my interior going from neutral and more neutral to black and Neutral.

My last sub build was in the 90's (telling my age, I know) with a 1971 Porsche 911 Targa with a complete Alpine system with 2 12's so yeah......I am out of the loop with sub builds.

Anyway, I need some advice on the sub selection, but I don't want this to be a vs. thread. I have been doing research for the past couple months and every time I seem to find the right sub, I search just a little bit more and find more negative than positive reviews. Unfortunately, I am a perfectionist at times...especially with my music. Being a drummer and guitar player has that effect on people I guess

I am leaning towards 3 10's , 2 12's or 3 12's behind the 2nd row seats of my Tahoe. My maximum box specs would be 48"L, 20"H and 12"-14" deep. since I need to keep some space. My budget is under $500 for subs and preferably under 600-800 each.

I like it loud at times and mellow other times. I like feeling the bass of the kick drum and enjoying the bass guitar's minor changes in rock (Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold etc....) but also like the deep bass hits in hip-hop and rap occasionally.

Any advice would be helpful and thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]
@BoominTAHOE should be able to help (look at his box in his avatar )

@hispls - Thanks for the info. As far as staying mainstream... If someone was making a sub in his basement that sounded great and was built well, I would have no problem using it. I do realize after some research that Alpine HU's are still good, but not too keen on using their subs. That is just a personal preference though. I am sure some people swear by them which is great, but I know there are better sounding subs out there. As far as the other speakers go I am going to be running 3 way components in each of the doors with everything running off of a processor or a good EQ.

Would a 15" really outperform a trio of 12's or 10's?

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

Love your setup @Bommingrandpa

[quote name='Flanuva']@hispls - Thanks for the info. As far as staying mainstream... If someone was making a sub in his basement that sounded great and was built well, I would have no problem using it. I do realize after some research that Alpine HU's are still good, but not too keen on using their subs. That is just a personal preference though. I am sure some people swear by them which is great, but I know there are better sounding subs out there. As far as the other speakers go I am going to be running 3 way components in each of the doors with everything running off of a processor or a good EQ.

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

Love your setup @Bommingrandpa[/QUOTE]

Most of us build subs in the garage, not the basement!

In the airspace you have, yes, a high end single 15 in a proper ported box will outperform 3 12s in a sealed box. The only reason you should consider running multiple subs is if you plan to run more than 2500W or so, where having extra coils helps with the heat, but that Eclipse Ti Pro I linked you should hang with 2000W continuous power pretty well and if you plan to power beyond that you're getting into some expensive electrical upgrades.

The type R subs really are quite good for what they are though. I've never heard type R setup that sounded bad. Not sure if they still make type X, or if your budget permits, but type X components have been premium quality and performance.

[quote name='Flanuva']@hispls - Thanks for the info. As far as staying mainstream... If someone was making a sub in his basement that sounded great and was built well, I would have no problem using it. I do realize after some research that Alpine HU's are still good, but not too keen on using their subs. That is just a personal preference though. I am sure some people swear by them which is great, but I know there are better sounding subs out there. As far as the other speakers go I am going to be running 3 way components in each of the doors with everything running off of a processor or a good EQ.

Love your setup @Bommingrandpa[/QUOTE]
thanks (u the only 1 here that likes it).. yeah 1 15 in good ported box has shown to be as loud as even 2 12's ported with same power..

Do you think one 15 in a properly made box (either sealed or ported) would outperform the 12's as far as SQ? I don't like it muddy and like to be able to control the "boom" factor according to the style of music I am listening to.

Most of us build subs in the garage, not the basement! In the airspace you have, yes, a high end single 15 in a proper ported box will outperform 3 12s in a sealed box. The only reason you should consider running multiple subs is if you plan to run more than 2500W or so, where having extra coils helps with the heat, but that Eclipse Ti Pro I linked you should hang with 2000W continuous power pretty well and if you plan to power beyond that you're getting into some expensive electrical upgrades.

The type R subs really are quite good for what they are though. I've never heard type R setup that sounded bad. Not sure if they still make type X, or if your budget permits, but type X components have been premium quality and performance.
I don't think it matters. I'm sure people build them in the dining area. Big table, lots of space....

Do you think one 15 in a properly made box (either sealed or ported) would outperform the 12's as far as SQ? I don't like it muddy and like to be able to control the "boom" factor according to the style of music I am listening to.
yes and no. 2 12's have more cone area over a single 15. It's entirely enclosure dependant and also tuning. SQ usually is for sealed enclosures but a more better properly tuned enclosure can be had for SQ for a ported one.

Most car audio specific woofers these days are specifically designed to perform best in ported alignment. Build the box right and it will sound great. If the ported subs you've ever heard didn't sound good they were using the wrong sub, the wrong box, or both.

I was sort of thinking about these subs..

1. Dayton Ultimax 15"

2. SSA GCON 15"

3. Ascendant Audio Chaos 15"

I think I am sold on a properly ported box. I will be making it myself, so any info on box size ect...would be appreciated

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.