Help Wiring an '01 Silverado

Participant count
  • Participant list

Crank
10+ year member

JUNIOR MARINE
Hey guys, I've posted a couple times looking for some help, basically I'm just getting into car audio, and I'm very mechanically inclined(I'm a helicopter mechanic) and I'm trying to put a system into my '01 Silverado extended cab.

For starters, I have a Pioneer DEH-6700(older HU I know, but I like it, and it works with my Pioneer iPod interface) as well as I just picked up the Ultra deep subthump box for it http://subthump.com/ctbultra.htm

These are the suspected components I'll be using http://bp0.blogger.com/_JM6ftya6GtE/R5DzLSeZcyI/AAAAAAAAAHg/PguMaZd1j44/s1600-h/1w1v2+pkg.jpg

Price will be adjusted accordingly since I dont need the box.

So am I to understand, all I need is to run my power wire, from the batt to behind say... the back backseat, then run my RCA cables along with a remote turn on wire.

Has anyone already setup a system in a truck like this? Any recommendation of length of power cable and length for RCA cables? Any help is appreciated folks. Thanks

Brandon

First off you're going to want to go at least 4 gauge not 8 like the link shows, but yeah after that you have to get the wire from the engine bay to the inside of the truck and to the amp, you can guesstimate the length just hold it up beside the truck and run it like you think it will go, if you have too much you can always cut it, same with the rca's although you cant cut them, just route something the way the rcas will go and measure that, give your self a few extra feet and you should be fine. I think knuconceptz even has some rca's that have the remote wire connected to the rca's so you dont have to run a separate wire. But yeah thats pretty much it, sounds pretty easy, but no matter how good you are, odds are you'll hit a few snags along the way. I suggest to do a fair amount of research (wiring schematics), look at some truck picks, etc. before you jump in, could save a lot of time.

Too bad you didn't post this 2 days earlier....I had my 01' Silverado xcab completely apart as I was upgrading my amps and I could've taken some pics or something.

Personally I wouldn't get the RCA's that have a remote wire in them (most amps I've seen have the remote input and the RCA's on opposite sides of the amp.

If you run the RCA's straight back under the center console you can get away with 12'...if you choose to go around through the door runners I would suggest the 20' (or close to it).

The power wire is best run down the drivers side (big grommet in the firewall and the battery also on this side)...there is a nice little trough under the side trim to put the wire into...I also ran my remote wire over there next to the power wire (easier for installation since they're right next to each other on the amp).

The ground wire is simple too...I use a bolt with a star washer...the little shelf (against the back wall and under the seat) has some very accessible spots to drill completely through so you can access the hole you drilled from underneath the truck.

When are you going to do your install? Only reason I ask is that one of my brand new amps had a channel that wasn't working and a new one is being sent...I will be redoing some installation next week and can take pics if you're going to be waiting that long.

I just got my box from SubThump, and now I have to wait to go get the components, basically piecing it together so I dont strap myself too much, a Corporal in the Marines doesnt make too awful much extra money. So I will indeed be waiting a while. I was thinking of getting the package listed above, but I was looking at woofersetc.com last night and could do it a whole lot cheaper thru them. Thanks

Brandon

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.