Help tuning my box

jcarver
10+ year member

So I'm building a box for a single 12, ported, that I'm having trouble figuring out what length to make the port. For those wondering I'm putting about 1200 w rms to the sub, its a HDC312.

Based on the instructions provided by Audioque they said to make the port length about 18" to give you 40hz if you use their formula of 16 sq inches per cu ft of box. So here's what I have to work with.

Box volume Gross: 2.98 cu ft

Displacement of sub: .15 cu ft

I used a couple of calculators but this one seems to be the nicer Car Audio - PORT Size Calculations and Formulas for WOOFER and Subwoofer BOXES

My problem is all of the calculators I use say to put in the volume of box. Do they mean Gross or Gross-sub or Gross-sub-port displacement? This all made a huge difference. I'm wanting to tune to 38 - 40 hz and based on these different possibilities I get crazy different numbers. Oh its a slot port 14 x 2.75.

Here's some of the stuff I came up with:

slot port 14 x 2.75

Using Gross volume: 38hz= 17.62 in

40hz= 15.26 in

Using Gross less sub: 38hz= 18.89 in

40hz= 16.42

Using Gross less sub less port displacement:

38 = to long to possibly fit in my box //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

40hz= 23.25 in

Any help on this would be great. Thanks all again .... I wonder if I'll ever get this thing built lol

What vehicle is it going in? I can almost guarantee you will want to tune it lower than 38-40 hz.

You are going to want 2.5 cubes net tuned anywhere from 32-36, depending on what you need to do.

And don't forget, ports can bend.

I will be bending the port. And I understand that most subs sound good at 32-36 but I want something with a little more spl and from what everyone has said the hdc's sound loudest at 40 +/- and still get pretty low. Net box for this sub should be 1.75 to 2.75 most saying 2.25 to 2.5 is best. I'm just trying to understand what "box volume" these calculators are looking for. I'm thinking gross less the sub displacement.

Tell me the vehicle though. In my personal opinion, I will never tune to 38-40 hz. Never heard one I liked. Yes they will still play low, but they usually sound like doo doing so when tuned that high.

Tell me the vehicle though. In my personal opinion, I will never tune to 38-40 hz. Never heard one I liked. Yes they will still play low, but they usually sound like doo doing so when tuned that high.
And you will need a subsonic filter to prevent the sub from unloading and destroying itself quickly.

And you will need a subsonic filter to prevent the sub from unloading and destroying itself quickly.
The one on the amp should be ok for this right? I don't want a sharp cut off. Also why would audioque recommend this if it will damage their products.

The one on the amp should be ok for this right? I don't want a sharp cut off. Also why would audioque recommend this if it will damage their products.
AQ assumes you know how to setup your amp and all that to prevent damage. Also, it depends what kind of music you listen to. If you listen to dance music, rock, dubstep etc. 40hz would probably be fine. For someone who listens to low frequency rap it's a different story. And yes, the subsonic filter on your amp will work.

AQ assumes you know how to setup your amp and all that to prevent damage. Also, it depends what kind of music you listen to. If you listen to dance music, rock, dubstep etc. 40hz would probably be fine. For someone who listens to low frequency rap it's a different story. And yes, the subsonic filter on your amp will work.
Thanks, I'm pretty sure 38 - 40 is right where I want this one but does anyone know what the port length calculators use for "box volume". I'm thinking they want the box less sub and they take into account what the displacement of the port they are recommending is going to be.

Just give your dimensions and I'll design you up an enclosure quickly. Then go backwards and see what I did to come up with your design/specs to learn what/why.

Also, the12volt has a decent deal, or a program, torres, winisd, and the RE calculator can give you really rough figures, but its usually off a tad so I wouldn't use it for final figures.

Oh, and do like Buck says, 2.5ish cubic feet net, tuned to 32-35Hz. You'll be much happier with that instead of so much higher, and almost unusable tuning to be honest lol. And then having to utilize your subsonic filter so you don't start unloading the driver is going to make music sound off, and hollow as lower frequencies that should be played with authority are going to fall flat.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.