Help to choose amplifier

Participant count
  • Participant list

koolmann94

CarAudio.com Newbie
bowen
Hello everyone,

i'm currently trying to upgrade my car audio system and i'd like to install an amplifier.
At the moment i have 4 speakers, which are:
- 2 Sony XS-GTF1639 3-Way 45W RMS / 270W Peak
- 2 Pioneer 6x9 Inch 4 Way Speakers 90W RMS / 450W Peak
and my autoradio is a Sony DSX-A410BT with 4x55W channels.
In the future i'd like also to install an entry level subwoofer.
Which amplifier would you recommend me, and how should i choose it?

Here's how I see it:

Your head unit is 55w x 4 MAX. That usually means 22w RMS, which is worthless.

USUALLY, when speakers are rated in MAX/peak, it is USUALLY double RMS. You seem to have such a huge difference there, I think you have more flexibility than most. USUALLY RMS is a range, and although they may not list a range, you have some flexibility. Even the rating they give is not exact. Your head unit also has 2 preouts, (rear and sub). Going with that, I would be looking for a 4ch amp for your four speakers. Something like:
80w-100w RMS x 4(ch) @ 4 ohms.
Run your four speakers off that.

Before we get into a subwoofer, the basic formula gets us to about 10amp draw for every 100w. A 4 ch amp x 100 is 400w and about 40 amp draw that you need to plan for. MOST vehicles should be able to handle this no problem. Subs use a lot more power than 3 ways and most 6x9s.

Subs can be a couple hundred watts, or more than a couple thousand watts each. When you get ready for a sub, you will most likely need at least the "big 3", a larger H(igh) O(utput) alternator, and possibly an upgraded battery. Figure out your space, your budget, what you have done for your electrical, then get your subs figured out, and then get an amp that will pair with em. Do some research and figure out how it works and come in knowing the basics. People can tell you what to buy all day long. If that's all you want, then go support your local audio shop, and let them sell to you.

You can add a 4ch amp (with power, ground, and speaker wires, and a fuse), and expect a minimum of $200 if you are doing your own work. For your setup, I wouldn't go much more than that. You NEED it to make that power and from there, you are paying more for a cleaner signal/power and a better designed amp. To be honest, I would just look for a deal on an amp that will play at the ratings you need. There's no reason to spend a thousand or even $500.

If you need help with places to search, ask, and I'm sure we can come up with a bunch of websites to check.

Last edited:
Here's how I see it:

Your head unit is 55w x 4 MAX. That usually means 22w RMS, which is worthless.

USUALLY, when speakers are rated in MAX/peak, it is USUALLY double RMS. You seem to have such a huge difference there, I think you have more flexibility than most. USUALLY RMS is a range, and although they may not list a range, you have some flexibility. Even the rating they give is not exact. Your head unit also has 2 preouts, (rear and sub). Going with that, I would be looking for a 4ch amp for your four speakers. Something like:
80w-100w RMS x 4(ch) @ 4 ohms.
Run your four speakers off that.

Before we get into a subwoofer, the basic formula gets us to about 10amp draw for every 100w. A 4 ch amp x 100 is 400w and about 40 amp draw that you need to plan for. MOST vehicles should be able to handle this no problem. Subs use a lot more power than 3 ways and most 6x9s.

Subs can be a couple hundred watts, or more than a couple thousand watts each. When you get ready for a sub, you will most likely need at least the "big 3", a larger H(igh) O(utput) alternator, and possibly an upgraded battery. Figure out your space, your budget, what you have done for your electrical, then get your subs figured out, and then get an amp that will pair with em. Do some research and figure out how it works and come in knowing the basics. People can tell you what to buy all day long. If that's all you want, then go support your local audio shop, and let them sell to you.

You can add a 4ch amp (with power, ground, and speaker wires, and a fuse), and expect a minimum of $200 if you are doing your own work. For your setup, I wouldn't go much more than that. You NEED it to make that power and from there, you are paying more for a cleaner signal/power and a better designed amp. To be honest, I would just look for a deal on an amp that will play at the ratings you need. There's no reason to spend a thousand or even $500.

If you need help with places to search, ask, and I'm sure we can come up with a bunch of websites to check.
Thanks for your answer, i really appreciate.
Just wanted to point that i got 2 big batteries, not sure about the first one, but the second i can tell you has 180Ah at 12V.
What are for the two output of the head unit, rear and sub?
And so, if i buy an amplifier with 80w-100w RMS x 4(ch) @ 4 ohms as you suggested, would i be able to install also a sub, or i would need another amplifier for it?
If you know any other place to search or ask about please tell me.

Thanks

Thanks for your answer, i really appreciate.
Just wanted to point that i got 2 big batteries, not sure about the first one, but the second i can tell you has 180Ah at 12V.
What are for the two output of the head unit, rear and sub?
And so, if i buy an amplifier with 80w-100w RMS x 4(ch) @ 4 ohms as you suggested, would i be able to install also a sub, or i would need another amplifier for it?
If you know any other place to search or ask about please tell me.

Thanks
The 4 channel would only be for your speakers. You'd need a separate for your sub. Or you could buy a 5 channel but then you're limited on how much power you have for a sub...

This would be a decent amplifier to run on what you have. I would spend a little more and get the 460.4 if you can swing the extra funds. Ive installed quite a few of these and the 460.4, and They are decent for the $. I usually buy from Big Jeff, but out of stock atm/BO. They have the Black one also @ the same price if you do not like the silver on D4S site

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...