Help setup a 1975 Toyota Pickup

Perkolator

Hi Car Audio people!

Looking for some help setting up a stereo system in my new 1975 Toyota Hilux/Pickup. The stock setup is an AM/FM radio that only has outputs for one speaker, a 4x6" dash speaker. Existing wiring is basically none - only a hot wire for the radio and I guess it grounds via the antenna wire. My truck has no speaker and I didn't get any readings off the hot wire - so I'm going to start fresh.

So anyways, the PO gave me a new head unit with the truck and I'm just going to use it for now. I am not sure on the model, but it's a simple JVC head unit with bluetooth capability - plenty for me. I don't want to go crazy with the audio system in this truck. I have fabrication skills enough to fabricate custom speaker boxes, which I'll likely have to do in this truck.

I also have a 93 Toyota pickup that only came with 4" dash speakers - in this truck I installed Boston Acoustics S35 speakers and I really really liked them - I guess I should since they were rated so highly. I guess they're discontinued now, so was thinking of something compact like those are.

here is a shot of my interior:

853729DB-B5B3-44CE-AF0A-F6A579EDEFE1_zpsyi0ywaln.jpg

I really do not want to put speakers in the doors if possible. I'm also not looking to give up foot room with speakers in the kick panels unless they're tucked up really high - but the driver's side has a fuse panel and hood latch in that spot.

Thinking of maybe putting some compact speakers in a custom box that sort of flanks the heater box in front of the center console. They'd be tucked up pretty high to keep them away from my gas pedal and feet. Other thoughts is custom boxes that put the speakers under the dash, facing downward like in this pic I found, but unsure of sound quality?

RP900629.jpg

Other thoughts are speakers under the seats facing my feet, but again unsure of sound quality.

My other questions are regarding actual speaker styles and sound quality from them. I know for sure those BA S35s sounded good for a small 3.5" round speaker. I also used to have a Blazer with only Infinity Kappa plate speakers in the dash and a 12" sub in the back - it was just ok. Wondering if it's better to pair a small speaker set like the small round ones or small plate speakers with 2 larger speakers in the rear, or to put in a small sub under the seat? Lastly, what is the sound quality of a component speaker compared to what I've already mentioned? I installed a pair of nice Infinity component speakers in the front of my Land Cruiser and just those two sound amazing.

Just looking to keep things somewhat simple and any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

Brian

Hi Car Audio people!
Looking for some help setting up a stereo system in my new 1975 Toyota Hilux/Pickup. The stock setup is an AM/FM radio that only has outputs for one speaker, a 4x6" dash speaker. Existing wiring is basically none - only a hot wire for the radio and I guess it grounds via the antenna wire. My truck has no speaker and I didn't get any readings off the hot wire - so I'm going to start fresh.

So anyways, the PO gave me a new head unit with the truck and I'm just going to use it for now. I am not sure on the model, but it's a simple JVC head unit with bluetooth capability - plenty for me. I don't want to go crazy with the audio system in this truck. I have fabrication skills enough to fabricate custom speaker boxes, which I'll likely have to do in this truck.

I also have a 93 Toyota pickup that only came with 4" dash speakers - in this truck I installed Boston Acoustics S35 speakers and I really really liked them - I guess I should since they were rated so highly. I guess they're discontinued now, so was thinking of something compact like those are.

here is a shot of my interior:

853729DB-B5B3-44CE-AF0A-F6A579EDEFE1_zpsyi0ywaln.jpg

I really do not want to put speakers in the doors if possible. I'm also not looking to give up foot room with speakers in the kick panels unless they're tucked up really high - but the driver's side has a fuse panel and hood latch in that spot.

Thinking of maybe putting some compact speakers in a custom box that sort of flanks the heater box in front of the center console. They'd be tucked up pretty high to keep them away from my gas pedal and feet. Other thoughts is custom boxes that put the speakers under the dash, facing downward like in this pic I found, but unsure of sound quality?

RP900629.jpg

Other thoughts are speakers under the seats facing my feet, but again unsure of sound quality.

My other questions are regarding actual speaker styles and sound quality from them. I know for sure those BA S35s sounded good for a small 3.5" round speaker. I also used to have a Blazer with only Infinity Kappa plate speakers in the dash and a 12" sub in the back - it was just ok. Wondering if it's better to pair a small speaker set like the small round ones or small plate speakers with 2 larger speakers in the rear, or to put in a small sub under the seat? Lastly, what is the sound quality of a component speaker compared to what I've already mentioned? I installed a pair of nice Infinity component speakers in the front of my Land Cruiser and just those two sound amazing.

Just looking to keep things somewhat simple and any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

Brian
Thats a really clean truck...I thought about getting that cover to hide the wires under the dash of my 911 Porsche

thanks! yeah, the truck's pretty clean inside - the PO started restoration on it and did the interior already.

After looking again last night I think my preferred option is some sort of custom boxes made to fit somewhere under the dash. Either in the middle near the heater/center console pointing outward, or tucked up under the dash sorta angled toward my knees.

need to decide on type of speakers - should I get some quality small speakers like 4" round or go larger with something like a 6.5" component set?

Kinda OT but could we get some more pictures of the truck? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

hahaha no problemo - i always love the look of these old hilux trucks with the quad headlights, now I have one!

It's in good shape externally, just needs a little metal work in a few areas and paint. Runs pretty good too.

FBD171C1-E6C9-4A30-9B44-C156D87894BF_zpsx0ffgwyg.jpg

0E46DCE4-5084-43BF-8BB4-4405097F8892_zpsyweihnvr.jpg

E1B626EB-F2BA-4397-9FF6-0E156C9AFC7D_zpsxewilim9.jpg

here's shots of what I've got to work with under the dash area for speaker placement:

0FB3CC2F-DDB1-4FCE-812D-ECDCBE99A660_zpsfjygqfxs.jpg

27637363-3EA2-49B4-820B-ED919D5EE059_zpsvhcscchm.jpg

here's the head unit the guy gave me. I'm probably just going to use it since it's what I have on hand. unfortunately I did some investigation last night and popped off the face plate to see if it fits in the hole of the dash - it's too wide by maybe 1/4". I either need to find a new smaller stereo that fits in the hole or swap out the dash plate for a spare that I got, so I can cut the hole larger (the other plate has the EGR knockout removed, so gotta fill that up somehow)

D428AC30-449C-4B4F-8D5D-E159267DE585_zpsfc8v3zax.jpg

My son had one of those trucks for a while...we ended up putting a couple of 6" subs behind the seat mounted to the seat back ...The seat has an indention that the box fit in perfect and sounded pretty good without taking any space ...I seems we put a nice set of 4.5" 2way coax speakers in the dash ...Everything was run off the radio ...It sounded nice over all

so i've still been looking online at pics for options. since i have a block off plate for the stock stereo hole, I might end up using that and putting the head unit in a custom center console. just found this one this morning and it's kinda what i was thinking for both the unit and for speakers:

1237d1252004661-my-77-lux-040-jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.