Help selecting speakers

budes
10+ year member

USA
So I just bought a jeep commander and the speakers specs are as follows

Dash; 3.5"

Fronts; 6x9

Rears; 6.5"

I had an idea to run coaxials in all 3 locations. I am open to any suggestions. Here is what I came up with at first.

Dash; JL AUDIO C2-350x 10-40rms

Fronts; JL AUDIO C2-690tx 15-125rms

Rears; JL AUDIO C2-650x 15-100rms

I like better speakers then these but not sure if I willing to spend the money.

How do I power 6 speaker setup? 4channel + 2channel?

What are some better options for speakers if I go coaxial in each slot?

What other options do I have?

Should I just buy a 6.5" conversion plate and run 6.5" in the fronts and mount 1" dome tweeters externally on top of the factory 3.5" grills? And run a set of 6.5" coaxials in the rear? also this would only require 1 4channel amp.

Whats the best solution to powering a 6 speaker setup?

any advice and or suggestions are welcome. trying to get some what back into car audio though this new vehicle purchase.

screw the dash just disconnect them, put a nice set of 6.5 or 6x9 components in the front doors and 6.5 mids or coax in the back. if u take your time when picking out tweeter location you wont miss the 3.5inch dash speakers. then you only need a nice 4 channel for highs. jl make good speakers but u are going to pay more than what they are worth. look into image dynamics, hertz, cdt they are priced much closer to worth. unless u just want to blow money on the jl name

Jl isn't a priority at all just using them for reference as far as the intent of the setup.

If I can fit 6.5 subs in the rear doors should I? I can't afford to loose any space in the trunk with a box and I don't want to buy subs or an amp to power then forbthat matter.

Thanks for the advice

what vehicle is this, sounds similar to one of my cars. either way I have an entire setup for this. MB Quart PVI 6x9 comps and 6.5 comps. Audiocontrol 6XS. connect the front component set active with the 6x9s in the door and the tweeters in the dash. the 6.5s mounted as coaxials. 4 channel amp for the front, 2 channel on the rear. pm me if interested.

Audiocontrol 6XS

MB Quart PVI-269 (no passive crossovers)

MB Quart PVI-216 (has passive crossovers)

Hifonics Titan 8408 (85x4@4Ω)

Hifonics Titan 4008 (100x2@4Ω)

Hifonics Titan 1508 (1500x1@1Ω)

Its a 2007 jeep commander.

Im looking to minimize price. But I want the best for the money I am going to spend. I also wana minimize the number of amps to 1 is possible. Maybe 6channel if I run 6 speakers or a 4channel.

I was also contimplateing runing 6.5" woofers in the rear doors as more of a sub setup then an actual sub setup.

6x9 comp set up front

and

6.5" woofers in the rear

4channel amp

screw the dash just disconnect them, put a nice set of 6.5 or 6x9 components in the front doors and 6.5 mids or coax in the back. if u take your time when picking out tweeter location you wont miss the 3.5inch dash speakers. then you only need a nice 4 channel for highs. jl make good speakers but u are going to pay more than what they are worth. look into image dynamics, hertz, cdt they are priced much closer to worth. unless u just want to blow money on the jl name
I don't think it's blowing money. If it's what you want then it's worth it. I like JL more than the ID's and CDT's I've heard. Never heard Hertz. They look nice.

i vote for a 6.5" comp set in the front - experiment with tweeter locations (dash or door).

then a rear comp set so you have the option of not running a rear tweeter.

you can also try a 3.5" coaxial in the dash and just get 6.5" woofers for the front and rear.

what to get depends on mounting depth, and how much modifications you are willing (and able) to do.

i vote for a 6.5" comp set in the front - experiment with tweeter locations (dash or door).
then a rear comp set so you have the option of not running a rear tweeter.

you can also try a 3.5" coaxial in the dash and just get 6.5" woofers for the front and rear.

what to get depends on mounting depth, and how much modifications you are willing (and able) to do.
^ word.

with the 6.5" in the doors, you'd have mid-bass covered. And with the 3.5" coax in the dash, you'd have your mid-range, and your highs.... that'd be an interesting set-up, could sound pretty good if installed right.

That said, looking at pics of the jeep online it looks very nice. What style do you have?

Still unsure what I'm going to do.looking for a shop to install still. I'm thinking a 3 way set of 6.5 / 3 / 1 or something or all coaxial or a regular 6.5 Comp.

Who knows. Also trying to find the right price for each setup.

I finally picked my head unit based on what I want. Pioneer 6300bt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.