Help selecting a 15 for limited box space

Spectre420

So a while ago I joined here looking to find a better sub to handle the power I was feeding it. Since then I have educated myself greatly and have narrowed that selection down to a few woofers. Now I am trying to get some extra input before I pull the trigger.

I'm looking to get the most SPL out of my limited space that I have, have the sub dig pretty low but also be able to play 60-85hz decent enough, and take 2kw RMS @ 1ohm happily cranked way up for many 8hour road trips

I have about a 3.25ish cubic feet box size limit. I will be custom building it and the space I have is about 22"x18"x18.5"

I was planning on using a sealed box for simplicity of build, smaller size, and I like their sound better.

The woofers im looking at are:

Sundown Audio x-15

SSA XCON 15

SSA ZCON 15

Soundqubed HCD-315-2

I like the xcon the most overall because i know it will take the 2kw hit low and high and take a smaller sized box happily

Im interested in the zcon because its supposed to be louder but im not sure if its necessary to spend the extra $$$

I like the x-15 because it will dig hella low but im not sure if it will play high as well or take the 2kw rms nicely

I like the HDC-315-2 because its dirt cheap compared to the rest of the group but Im not sure if it will dig low enough or sound good enough for my tastes

I am trying to save money but I refuse to cut corners in performance.

Based on what im looking for, what would you chose and why?

The ZCON won't perform very well in a sealed box. I would go with the XCON. I don't think you'd be satisfied with a HDC sealed, either. The X would be my second choice.

Why a sealed 15 if your goal is the most SPL possible, though? A single ported 12 would dig low and be louder.

dont try to cram subs into limited space man. Ported will always get louder and lower then sealed a lot easier even if your cutting a lot of cone area to do so because of efficiency, your getting a lot more sound. I think you'll be happy with a 12" zcon in a 3.25 cube enclosure AKA the free SSA optimal box design worked hella good for me. Hits highs and digs super lowww

Reason I was looking for a 15 sealed for SPL is because every 15 I have heard and my research would have me to believe that they hit lower and louder than 12s.

Sound quality is really my primary concern but I already have that figured out for the most part and only need the forums help on SPL

I also would like to steer away from ported boxes because of the boomy sound and flatter response curve of sealed boxes. Every ported box except one I have heard was very boomy and all fell off fast below resonance. The one that wasnt overly boomy was the subwoofer in logitechs z-5500 system.

So that would lead me to believe for max SPL while keeping nice sound quality and the flattest and deepest response curve possible with limited space to use the largest driver I can fit in a sealed box.

Im worried if I get a 12 and put it in a ported box I wont be happy with how loud it is when its down low, how peaky the response is, and how the sound quality is.

I have owned and heard a fair amount of subwoofers but never had the chance to switch one from a ported box to sealed box or other way around.

Reason I was looking for a 15 sealed for SPL is because every 15 I have heard and my research would have me to believe that they hit lower and louder than 12s.Sound quality is really my primary concern but I already have that figured out for the most part and only need the forums help on SPL

I also would like to steer away from ported boxes because of the boomy sound and flatter response curve of sealed boxes. Every ported box except one I have heard was very boomy and all fell off fast below resonance. The one that wasnt overly boomy was the subwoofer in logitechs z-5500 system.

So that would lead me to believe for max SPL while keeping nice sound quality and the flattest and deepest response curve possible with limited space to use the largest driver I can fit in a sealed box.

Im worried if I get a 12 and put it in a ported box I wont be happy with how loud it is when its down low, how peaky the response is, and how the sound quality is.

I have owned and heard a fair amount of subwoofers but never had the chance to switch one from a ported box to sealed box or other way around.

Just about every assumption you made in this post is well WRONG.. A 12" in the proper ported box will assault a 15" all choked up... It will get louder, deeper, and sound just as good. All in the box and I would guess you have seen a many prefab ported boxes thus throwing off your judgment on what a ported box is capable of.

Reason I was looking for a 15 sealed for SPL is because every 15 I have heard and my research would have me to believe that they hit lower and louder than 12s.Sound quality is really my primary concern but I already have that figured out for the most part and only need the forums help on SPL

Problem with your "experiences" you bought premade boxes mass produced from china that does not know a **** thing about proper tuning and port area. I've never head sealed boxes that can dig low and loud as a ported box.

lets say from a 1 to 10 one being the weakest, 10 = violently flexing your car, choking your passengers.

25 hz response from a 12" sealed box = 2

25hz response from a 12" properly tuned ported box tuned to 30hz = 6

both on 2k rms

If you need a proper box built. Just have boomsday, a member on this forum build you a box and ship it to you, its pretty cheap compared to shops and the quality of the build is solid. The design is already provided for on SSA. I can guarantee you, You've never felt REAL lows until you heard a sub in a proper built box. keyword FEEL not hear.

It is true all the ported boxes I have heard were pre-fabs. They were however within the recommended size of the manufacture.

I planned on making my own box for this woofer.

If I were to go with say a x/zcon 12 and build the "optimal ported box" found on their website my concerns are:

That it wont hit as low as the 15 versions because the higher FS

That it will sound way too boomy and echoy. (a little boom is cool but emphasis on little)

That it wont get loud enough for my tastes. (loudest sub I owned was a kicker l7 15" in a ported box that was too small [3 cubes] @ 2kw rms. I want it to be that loud if not louder but the square sub sounded so whack I need a circle one)

That the port will make the frequency response too peaky

Your telling me that I'm 100% wrong in my assumptions because my experiences were with crap gear and thats probably true but what makes this diffrent?

Why will a custom ported x/zcon sound louder than a sealed 15 and get just as low and not be overly boomy/peaky/not clean and the prefab boxes that fit the manufacture recommendations sound so much worse with the exceptions of bracing?

100% wrong. You do realize prefab boxes are built to accommodate any an all 12's. Most are particle board, tuned in the 40's and have lil to no port area. Ported boxes can IMO go toe to toe with.sealed when built right. If u go sealed 15 then don't get mad when ur back on here mad cause your l7 was alot louder then ur new 15"... as far as ported boxes being boomish, peaky, or sounding unclean is all issues a properly built to spec box can eliminate. Member its 99% install an 1% equipment. An based on ur feeling toward ported I assume you have only encounterd Pres an such.

Last edited by a moderator:
All the ported boxes we're either particle board or 5/8ths mdf and tuned 40-45hz. Does the stiffness of the box have a large impact on the boomyness and cleanliness of the sound that much?

I plan on using 3/4 mdf

I have a Rockford fosgate power t1 12 @700w rms in a 1.5 cu sealed box and its output is decent and the sound is almost exactly how I want it. Is there any way to get as low and clean as that with a ported or anywhere close to it?

If your box is flexing you have failed lol.. I know there is a difference in sound when using different species of woods. Well your using a sealed box so u sure u got the ssf turned off?. If y udo anamp has been scooped then that is all your going to get from it. Enjoy or do it right an build a ported box for it

Last edited by a moderator:
Man I have one 12 ported gettin nasty and diggin low as ****

A 12 ported in an optimal box would down right **** on a 15 sealed all day everyday

Sundown X

SSA Icon/Xcon/Zcon

Tantric HD/HDD

hell American Bass XFL will all take 2k happily

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.