Help picking between two subs

Boomin_tahoe

Hurtin' feelings errrday.
10+ year member
Jul 24, 2005
WA
I am not trying to exceed my alternator... It's not like you have zero headroom with a 110A alternator. 
I don't think you realize/understand how much voltage your alt will take to power your amp. A full blown 2k watts will yield dam near or just over 140 volts.....compared to your weak 110 stock one and majority of that alt is going to your amp. Everything else, in your car, wipers, heater, etc is just a small portion. Do yourself an electrical a favor and upgrade the alt. bIg 3 is an absolute must also. Worst you'll see is lights dimming. Then next week we'll see a new post on that from you on how to get rid of it.

Jeffdachef

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Feb 5, 2013
South Coast Metro, CA
That is a false statement. A 1ohm speaker is 1ohm at resting position. Meaning you will absolutely see a 1ohm load at various times in the dynamic range the speaker plays. I've addressed this multiple times and nobody ever responds. You acknowledge that impedance rise is frequency based, but then you apply some arbitrary load on the amplifier to decide that everyone needs an amp that is rated for 2-3 times what the speaker is rated for. That is the opposite of understanding that impedance rise is frequency based. Being frequency based means the impedance changes based on cone motion.

You refer to (SPL) competitors when discussing clamp ratings. SPL competitors burp at a single frequency their entire system was designed to play, so yes they focus on impedance rise because it is a specific factor if you are only playing a single frequency burp. That research does not apply to daily systems playing multiple octaves of frequencies. Telling someone to buy an oversized amp and then turn the gains down artificially low is great for 'headroom' for people with golden ears, but most people would rather not shell out hundreds of extra dollars for power they will almost never require, and that their charging system would probably not sustain anyway.
Its not hundred dollars more its literally cheaper than the one he was looking at. If you've done actual frequency clamps at every frequency from 20 to 60hz, you'll see the lowest rise is 2x your wired impedance in most setups even with the enclosures with minimal rise. There will never be 1 ohm power especially during music when the recording levels are way weaker than a 0 db test tone and the coils are moving a lot more frequently due to many frequencies being played.  An amp barely doing lifting a finger providing all the output you need vs an amp 120% redlined, which one do you think keeps a cleaner signal and last longer?

mrj858

Jun 21, 2011
san diego
Its not hundred dollars more its literally cheaper than the one he was looking at. If you've done actual frequency clamps at every frequency from 20 to 60hz, you'll see the lowest rise is 2x your wired impedance in most setups even with the enclosures with minimal rise. There will never be 1 ohm power especially during music when the recording levels are way weaker than a 0 db test tone and the coils are moving a lot more frequently due to many frequencies being played.  An amp barely doing lifting a finger providing all the output you need vs an amp 120% redlined, which one do you think keeps a cleaner signal and last longer?
This is not entirely true...I'm wired at .4 per amp and I was at .4 twice during my impedance sweep using my IM/SG to find both tuning frequencies in my 6th...hell I stayed under 1ohm from 20hz-30hz didn't start rising until after 31hz (peaked at 1.6 ohms at 35hz) then started falling under 1ohm again until the upper 50hz range....I did notice the less port area I had in the rear chamber the higher my rise was 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts

Latest classifieds