help me with a box for JBL GTI 10s

Participant count
  • Participant list

slug420
10+ year member

CT
Im building my first sub enclosure, and its gonna house 2 10" JBL GTIs

Im not concerned with SPL and want it to be as punchy as possible and also to take up the least amount of space possible so im going with a sealed enclosure. I also plan on putting each sub in its own seperate box.

I picked up a sheet of 1" MDF since everyone says use at least 3/4 and one stereo shop said these subs would be best suited to 1"

just for looks, im going to be mounting these subs inverted since the baskets are the bomb imo...and for make them look best in my trunk I want them to be angled up a little bit, so I played around with em and looked at some sketches of a proposed box design and I have settled on putting a 60 degree angle on the rear facing side of the box with the subs mounted inverted on that surface. According to the paperwork that came with them im going with a 3/4 of a cubic foot volume, and I plan on the inside surface of the angled side being 12"x12" which should provide enough space at the bottom of the sub so that when it hits it wont "excurt" into the bottom of the box on the inside and this should also help the box to be a little shorter. I am making calculations for the rest of the pieces of the box and things come out to like 10.39 inches etc.... should I round down when possible to accomodate the extra space created by the cone of the sub in this inverted setup? or maybe being on the small side would make it sound better than a touch on the large side?

so now i have a whole mess of questions

For construction I plan on gluing (any special glue to use?) the sides together and then putting screws in also before the glue dries.... is this correct? are there additoinal measures to take?

I have heard I should caulk the inside edges, what is the best thing to use for this?

The JBL paperwork also says to use "polyfill" or some kind of fabric type thing to line the inside of the box with. Do i want to do this? if so what material should I use?

Are there any problems you see with my plan to have the subs inverted and/or facing forward and/or at that angle?

I hope to get started actually constructing the boxes later this week, any other hot tips or input you have is also appreciated.

thanks!

I picked up a sheet of 1" MDF since everyone says use at least 3/4 and one stereo shop said these subs would be best suited to 1"
Good choice! That's what I use on all the boxes I sell.

For construction I plan on gluing (any special glue to use?) the sides together and then putting screws in also before the glue dries.... is this correct? are there additoinal measures to take?
You've pretty much got it covered. Liquid nails for projects or gorilla glue are my personal favorite types of glue for this application

I have heard I should caulk the inside edges, what is the best thing to use for this?
Again, Liquid nails for projects or Gorilla Glue.

The JBL paperwork also says to use "polyfill" or some kind of fabric type thing to line the inside of the box with. Do i want to do this? if so what material should I use?
Yes, especially if your box is small. It will make the sub think it's in a larger box by slowing down the waves inside the box and will give you a slight bit more bottom end. Polyfill pillow stuffing is the choice material for this. You can get it at Wal-Mart or any store that has an arts and crafts section. The general rule is 1 pound per cubic foot of internal space.

Are there any problems you see with my plan to have the subs inverted and/or facing forward and/or at that angle?
No problems at all. Just make sure that if you invert the sub that you wire it out of phase (backwards).

thanks

drew up the designs in CAD tonight and it looks pretty straightforward.

The paperwork says 3/4 of a cubic foot and 1" of fiberfill stuff lining all sides, and my box's volume is right at 3/4 of a foot so stick with around half a pound of polyfill stuffing?

Also, how many screws should i use? enough to hold it in place (using common sense) or like 1 every 2 inches or somethin excessive?

as for the wiring, im gonna take it someplace to have that done, tweeter or some local shop. I cant bring myself to tear interior panels off my car, i KNOW i would wind up with 4353 rattles afteri put it back together, and I, nor my dad who is helping me with my install have any knowledge or experience with electrical wiring or stereo equipment or anythin.

btw, has anyone heard GTI10s in a setup like this before? i have never heard these subs in any setup and am anxious to see what theyre like

thanks
drew up the designs in CAD tonight and it looks pretty straightforward.

The paperwork says 3/4 of a cubic foot and 1" of fiberfill stuff lining all sides, and my box's volume is right at 3/4 of a foot so stick with around half a pound of polyfill stuffing?
Sounds good to me.

Also, how many screws should i use? enough to hold it in place (using common sense) or like 1 every 2 inches or somethin excessive?
Every three inches is common practice.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.