help me pick some nice sub(s)

woody2193
10+ year member

WI
i drive a 1999 eclipse and currently have 2 10 inch xplods in there (Lol). Im looking for something a little better sounding and lot better hitting.

The amp i have is a vibe 268 2000/1000w rms claimed power (2x30a fuses). Im lookin to get 1 or 2 12s but space is somewhat limited as the trunk in a eclipse isnt huge. i could fit a 3 cube box in there probably. Im trying to keep my budget for the new subs under $250. The problem is i dont know what sub setup to run.

I have been looking into getting 1 solobaric l7 ported, or possibly 2 re srx ported, but im sure there are better options. What kind of sub should i get? 1? 2? enclosure recommendation ?

Don't waste your money. Do you have someone around there that can build a box VERY WELL?
are you suggesting that explode 10's just need a better box? the cones just warp under pressure. i've heard the best they can do, without building a large enclosure in the labyrinth family.... single 12, or dual 10's with 300wrms/ea in vented should do well. dd, and sundown, have these for good price. think about how you are going to wire the coils for the highest output from your amp, before ordering. i.e. if your amp is 1ohm, or 2x2ohm stable, look at d2 for the 12, or d4 for a pair of 10's.

$60 box design. $200 (roughly) box cost. no change in subs, no change in amps. and when people flag you down and pack their Geldans with ***** after they find out what you've got making that noise.....it'll make the small expense worth it. Everyone knows Xplod subs, most know them to be dookie and would make fun if you said that's what you had before you showed them.....priceless look on their face man. wait for the smell though and put it on YouTube; folks sh!tting their socks is good stuff.

I have a 12'' Ia lethal Injection I could let go for 130 shipped. It's a d4. It's a wicked stout sub. I also have a box for it if you are interested. I could do box and sub for 200 plus shipping. The box is double baffle and flush mount so three front baffles. All made of 3/4'' mdf tuned to 33hz. Box is 2.5 cubic feet by the way. If you are interested let me know and we can work something out.

then take whatcha got, go to pwkdesigns.com, fill in all the info with help from the audio assist.......then see what he says. it's free to get his opinion and you won't be able to get a better physics-backed recommendation.

some quick estimation math says that an amp with 60a worth of fuses should be able to pull ~850w safely on a 14v system. Assuming the gain isn't all the way up that gives you about ~750w to work with which would match a SA-12 quite well.
If your amp is 1 ohm stable, get this:

NEW SUNDOWN AUDIO SA-12 D2 12" DVC 2 OHM SUBWOOFER | eBay

otherwise get this:

NEW SUNDOWN AUDIO SA-12 D4 12" DVC 4 OHM SUBWOOFER | eBay
I looked into your suggestion of the SA 12 and liked what i saw. My amp is only stable down to 2 ohms. but if i ran my amp in bridged mode to a 2 ohm sub wouldnt the amp be under a 4 ohm load? so shouldnt i get the dual 2 ohm sub?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.