help me complete my system, what subs

just a quick note to stir the pot.......

yes more surround lessens cone area therebylower the subs ability to reproduce lower freqs

yes all a sub does is move air to create bass

with that said, a high end sub with a large surround ie; hx2, w7, ground zero's; tend to have higher excrusion to make up for the larger surround.the more the sub moves, the more air it displaces, thereby the more bass it produces. as i was told(when i bought my hx2's) that the reason for the bigger surround was to stiffen the suspension for quicker response, namely for SQ, while still being able to move large amounts of air for SPL.

different companies, different technogoly ie; you say potatoes i say taters.... same thing different way of getting there

wasn't all that quick was it?

i think any type of decent subs will do as long as you put it in a sealed enclosure coz you said you want rock music... a good pair of sub, and a good sealed enclosure will give you the tight bass you will be needing for your ROCK soundz. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

sensitivity means almost nothing though, its like saying a speakers power handling means exactly anything . if jl says their sub will hold 400 watts rms it will hold more or less depending on encloser specs, vented ,sealed ,size.........and would you say a sub with sensitivity rating of 93 vs. a sub with a rating 90 will always be 3 db louder with same amount of power given to each?

thats why a high sensitivity is better. But there is always drawbacks. The higher the power handling the sensitivity goes down. Thats why Digital designs have such an awesome sub, high power handling with high sensitivity.

try a idq 10" from image dynamics or a single kove kld 10. i have owned both (3 10's did a 142 in 1.5 cubic foot box on a modest amp) and they like rock rap ......mozart lol very kind woofer.

I have 4 mtx 8000's and it absolutely slams.I have them hooked up to two 2000 watts rms at 2 ohms amps and i want a sub that can handle more power i think i might go with the rockford fosgate power hx2 but i also might go with an mtx rfl15 and get rid of one of the amps.Does anyone outhere have some advice for me.

higher sensitivity DOES NOT MEAN IT IS LOUDER and at 100 watts a speaker that says 93 probbably wont stay 3 db louder than a sub with sensitivity of 90 if it would be louder anyway. sensitivity is an electrical/mechanical/physical value set to UNSPECIFIED parameters so it means absolutly nothing unless the parameters are equal on all speakers...this is why the magizines shoot out tests results are different than manufacture's specs, cause its set more towards real world uses rather than some dumb computer program that "guesses" results, plus another thing most you people dont seem to understand is resenant frequancy of a car and transfer function.......so what might look best on paper could **** in your real world car because your environment (car) doesnt bring the beast out in it.

ps a bigger surround would increase x max if they simply stiffened the spider they wouldnt loose cone area and if you say that makes faster response then why would you move father to gain accuracy?.................never heard a phat surround sub i liked for accuracy

dude, you need to re-read my post...

anyway i just left Stereoone(where i bought my hx2's) and here is what i learned about fat surrounds

the surround is fatter for two reasons.. to stiffen the suspension(help) for response and to allow a longer xmax

helping this is a stiffer spider and a longer voice coil. that way on big hits the sub is allowed to push out and the coil not "leave the gap", the stiffer suspension then brings the cone in faster for the next hit. that is SUPPOSED to help sq by eliminating some of the "muddy" response. this does not mean that fat surrounds are for sq, only to aid in that department. this setup is also supposed to help increase power handling.

make any sense?

anyway i'm still fairly new to the technical end of this and am learning as i go, so if i'm wrong please feel free to educate.

zane, if you read this, any help?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.