Help me choose some 6.5 Component speakers for my build

pilyin
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I've been out of the loop for a while but I'm doing a build on my boat. I'm looking for advice for some 6.5 comp speakers. These will be hanging on the wakeboard tower in a custom fiberglass enclosure and will not be seeing salt water or getting wet so I don't need marine speakers. I'm looking to hang 2 x 6.5 sets up there and they will be powered by a JL Audio e6450 that I already have. The Deck is a Clarion CZ500. They will be paired with 2 RE Audio SE-X 10" subs (sealed, wired to 2 ohm).

Budget: 200-$300 for 2 sets. Maybe a touch more if a good opportunity comes up.

I've found these that I could get in my budget. Any opinions on any of these or any suggestions on others?

-Arc Audio FD6000

-Eclipse SC6500

-MB Quart PVL-216

-MB Quart PVI-216

-Memphis PRCS6/6V2

-RE Audio RE6.5C

-Soundstream RF-60C

Another set to throw into the mix (haven't looked at the suggested ones yet, will when I get home): Polk DB6501

Thoughts?

On a separate note, would a Soundstream Rubicon 1.1600D (1100 RMS at 2 ohm) provide enough power for the RE subs (600RMS) or are they more power hungry?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
The marine audio market where I live is nonexistant but there's a good reason boats get marine speakers. Just because there's no water splashing up that high doesn't mean water won't get in and ruin regular speakers. I would look into Clarion's marine line-up, or JL Audio.

The marine audio market where I live is nonexistant but there's a good reason boats get marine speakers. Just because there's no water splashing up that high doesn't mean water won't get in and ruin regular speakers. I would look into Clarion's marine line-up, or JL Audio.
Not to stay ur not right but people told me using HT speakers in my doors would get runied due to the moisture but 3 years later not a single issue..

At roughly 100-150 a set, I'd look into the Boston Acoustics SC series, JL Audio C2's, or Pioneer D Series. In that order.

But, since they'll be up high anyway, you could probably get away with doin coaxs. In that case I'd look into Hybrid Mirus or Boston Acoustics SR Series or look for a used set of Hybrid Imagines.

Whitedragon has those Eclipse comps IIRC and could probably tell u more about em...dont mess with those Memphis ones though. I was very unimpressed with the way they sounded.

No experience with the others on your list but I probably wouldnt run any of em...but thats just me.

and in response to the sub question, I hear those amps do rated or close to it atleast so the difference in buying that amp and say a Kicker or Sundown 1500wrms wont be noticeable to the ear. Only diff will be amp quality...

I actually was in a local install shop recently and asked about that. The head installer told me they install non-marine stuff in lake boats all the time without having any issues. So I'm not worried about that. As long as the cones aren't paper, there shouldn't be a problem.

got me my massive audio ck6v installed the other day and they get loud.
After looking into Massive CK6V's yesterday a bit and finding some pretty good reviews by multiple people, I think that's the direction I'm leaning right now. How do they sound? Do they have decent mid-bass? Are the tweeters harsh or over-bearing? What did you replace with them?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.