Help me choose some 6.5 Component speakers for my build

I've been out of the loop for a while but I'm doing a build on my boat. I'm looking for advice for some 6.5 comp speakers. These will be hanging on the wakeboard tower in a custom fiberglass enclosure and will not be seeing salt water or getting wet so I don't need marine speakers. I'm looking to hang 2 x 6.5 sets up there and they will be powered by a JL Audio e6450 that I already have. The Deck is a Clarion CZ500. They will be paired with 2 RE Audio SE-X 10" subs (sealed, wired to 2 ohm).
Budget: 200-$300 for 2 sets. Maybe a touch more if a good opportunity comes up.

I've found these that I could get in my budget. Any opinions on any of these or any suggestions on others?

-Arc Audio FD6000

-Eclipse SC6500

-MB Quart PVL-216

-MB Quart PVI-216

-Memphis PRCS6/6V2

-RE Audio RE6.5C

-Soundstream RF-60C

Another set to throw into the mix (haven't looked at the suggested ones yet, will when I get home): Polk DB6501

Thoughts?

On a separate note, would a Soundstream Rubicon 1.1600D (1100 RMS at 2 ohm) provide enough power for the RE subs (600RMS) or are they more power hungry?

Thanks in advance.
OP, I'd look at these

Massive Audio VK 6 (KV6) Component Systems at Onlinecarstereo.com

they're cheap, lots of people like them, I myself am gonna be installing a set in my car.

I vote Eclipse SC6500's out of everything listed here so far. Ive got 2 pairs of them. Mids are great and detailed. Tweeters are detailed, but not harsh.

After looking into Massive CK6V's yesterday a bit and finding some pretty good reviews by multiple people, I think that's the direction I'm leaning right now. How do they sound? Do they have decent mid-bass? Are the tweeters harsh or over-bearing? What did you replace with them?
they are pretty bright even with the tweeters on -3 on the crossover. but all i did was set my head unit to -2 and its all good. the woofer has good sound but doesn't seem to get low as i thought. that may be because of my install or my amp as it only goes to 80hz on the high pass crossover and only powering them with 60wrms. i plan on bridging the amp eventually so that it gives them 180wrms but will set the gains lower and see if that helps. the woofer is from what i think quick and detailed. i replaced some PG rsd6cs components that i had that i ended up blowing a woofer. those were alright for the $70 i spent. i still have some tweaking to do but im still happy with them.

Are the tweeters harsh or over-bearing?

i wouldn't say harsh. i like what i read on another post and say they are so much more efficient then the woofer so they end up playing louder.

EDIT: i ended up going out side and bridging them and they seem to have a lot better mid-bass response right away. they definitely need to have more then 100wrms running to them. now i have to do some fine tuning but the initial results are promising.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.