Help me choose a future HU.

Participant count
  • Participant list

vlad532

CarAudio.com Newbie
Ok. I have been out of car audio for quite awhile. Had some great systems in the past but boy has car audio changed! Bought some stuff and have an install date of 10-27-22 with a local shop that seems to know what they are doing. Goal is decent sound quality for not a huge amount of money and a daily driver. I told the shop I wanted to keep the factory radio for now. Mostly because all this new tech has my head spinning.

Equipment purchased:

DSP: Audison Bit Ten. Encouraged to buy this from the shop since i said I want to keep my head unit for now
AMP: Kenwood 802-5 amp
Front speakers: Polk Audio DB 6502 component set ( Amp bridged to the front set)
Rear Speakers: none
Sub: Skar audio 8" in sealed box on floor behind front seat. 4 ohm I want thump in my spine and admit I cheaped out here. Will add another sealed sub, maybe a bigger driver to go lower and also to drop the amp to 2 ohms.

Vehicle: Nissan Rogue 2014 with no premium audio system.

I have been looking at the Android Chinese offerings, Joying and such and wondering if thats maybe the direction this needs to go in. Not sure if I should get an Android HU or a traditional company HU? I have a outboard GPS unit already and would like SiriusXM and great sound quality to the amp. I also have a factory back up camera in this vehicle and this needs to work 100%. Steering wheel controls? I dont really use them for the radio but would like them to work, I suppose, maybe.

I guess Im looking for the cheapest unit with great sound that would work with my set up.,that is not even installed yet... LOL

The Audison Bit Ten has optical input and this has me really intrigued.

Currently looking at this unit with a glorious 10.1' screen and optical out. https://www.joyingauto.com/2014-nis...isp-screen-android-car-multimedia-player.html

I got the 10.36" floating headunit (2000x1200) LCD. optical is limited to 24bit/48Khz output on all android headunits. No ground feedback noise is nice. I dont like the built in chinese DSP compared to my pioneer AVH-6000DVD. The optical output can only carry two discrete channels, and you lose ALL fader and balance control through optical out. The DSP still functions and its something crazy with 48+ band equalization. Name brand DSP headunits offer more intuitive options when it comes to EQ control. The android one is overwhelming and underwhelming all at once. You can add a ton of features with it though through USB, mostly just cameras. I would not spend $500 a joying with only 4gb of ram. If you want a headunit that is compatible with the Nissan dashboard, your options are truly limited. Get the one you posted. If you want the very best android headunit available than this is the one 8gb + 256gb Navifly Makes Up The Price Difference (replenishes The Shipping Fee, Makes Up The Remote Fee) Without The Notice Of The Merchant - Car Multimedia Player - AliExpress
Its not single or double din. Its 1.5" thick and is considered a floating display with tons of options. If your dashboard can fit a double din radio, you should be able to make it fit with a little tooling effort.

Last edited:
Skar audio 8" in sealed box on floor behind front seat.
Sub should be in the cargo area for best results.

I'm skeptical about those unknown brand Chinese head units myself and would stick to known brands. Especially in the 450$ price range you have a lot of options that are known performers, can audition in person at your local shop or big box store, can return if needed, etc.

If your local shop does not know how to integrate with your steering wheel controls you should call Crutchfield about it. If something exists to make it happen they'll have it.

If you do go out and take a gamble with that off-brand head unit do please come back and give us a full report of how it works for you. A lot of folks are curious to try them and the question is asked fairly often so more reviews and information on the record here would be helpful.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...