Help me choose an amp please.

ekah

Senior VIP Member
hawaii
this is what i have

-poweracoustik 124x mofo 12" sub 4 ohm supposedly 1500 rms.. not sure if it is or not and if you can clarify

-alpine mrp-m650 600rms @2ohm 400 @4ohm

need suggestions on what kind of amp i should get since the amp can only push 600 at 2 ohms which i wired the sub parallel. also open to any suggestions on amps/bang for my buck.

i was thinking

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Acoustik-BAMF4000-1200W-Amplifier/dp/B001584R6E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425356762&sr=8-1&keywords=BAMF4000%2F1D

Power Acoustik BAMF4000/1D 1200W

or

http://www.amazon.com/Hifonics-BRX2000-1D-Vehicle-Subwoofer-Amplifier/dp/B00BHSTVQS/ref=sr_1_10?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1425358511&sr=1-10&keywords=hifonics+amp

Hifonics BRX2000.1D Brutus

Of your choices, the hifi is better, but that mofo is not what you think it is. If you already have that sub, you will have to be careful with your gains. If haven't got the sub yet, check out soundqubed's hds series subs, much better.

Thanks for the quick reply really appreciate it. Those subs look a lot more legit haha. I'm guessing the 1500 rms is over exaggerated for power acoustic.anyone think the hifonic would be perfect for the mofo124x? and if I would feel a big difference from the Alpine amp?

The alpine is put together better, more 'clean' power. What is you budget? Peruse the classifieds, and keep asking good questions, and we will do our best to help out.

If you are wiring the final load at 2 ohms, you are going to need a 3000 watt rms amp to get that 1500 watts you want and a good, even decent 3000w amp isnt cheap. Dont skimp out on the amp. Check out American Bass as i see them to have the best bang for the buck nowadays (still more expensive than hifonics however). If i had to pick between the 2 though, id go with the hifonics.

[quote name='ekah']Thanks for the quick reply really appreciate it. Those subs look a lot more legit haha. I'm guessing the 1500 rms is over exaggerated for power acoustic.anyone think the hifonic would be perfect for the mofo124x? and if I would feel a big difference from the Alpine amp?[/QUOTE]

@gotgixers tried one of those subs, Didnt even take half of its RMS ratings with legit clean power going to it.

If you are wiring the final load at 2 ohms, you are going to need a 3000 watt rms amp to get that 1500 watts you want and a good, even decent 3000w amp isnt cheap. Dont skimp out on the amp. Check out American Bass as i see them to have the best bang for the buck nowadays (still more expensive than hifonics however). If i had to pick between the 2 though, id go with the hifonics.
They do make 2 ohm amps you know...

Soundqubed, dc audio, rockford fosgate, digital designs, phoenix gold, b2 audio, incriminator audio, addictive audio, sundown audio, crescendo audio, ground zero, MMATS pro, all some of thr best in the amplifier industry, and all rate their amplifiers at 1 ohm and all are stable at that impendance. Of course there are 2 ohm rated and operating at amplifiers out there such as jl audio and banda, but as i was saying, they are less common in the quality amplifier manufacturing companies. Maybe we arent on the same page though...

Soundqubed, dc audio, rockford fosgate, digital designs, phoenix gold, b2 audio, incriminator audio, addictive audio, sundown audio, crescendo audio, ground zero, MMATS pro, all some of thr best in the amplifier industry, and all rate their amplifiers at 1 ohm and all are stable at that impendance. Of course there are 2 ohm rated and operating at amplifiers out there such as jl audio and banda, but as i was saying, they are less common in the quality amplifier manufacturing companies. Maybe we arent on the same page though...
What about ZED, Audison, Helix, Brax, DLS? They have 2ohm amps. Rockford is on the same level as Alpine, JBL, and Kicker and they are 2ohm.. Most of the amps you just named of are **** near identical and not always quality, underground does not mean its always good.

Also for common its much easier to buy JL than most of the ones you mentioned

A Planet AC 2500.1 would push those mofo's no problem. Its lowest impedance is 2 ohms. I've owned three of these, and they are solid. Won't do rated, but I was surprised by the actual output

What about ZED, Audison, Helix, Brax, DLS? Rockford is on the same level as Alpine, JBL, and Kicker and they are 2ohm.. Most of the amps you just named of are **** near identical and not always quality, underground does not mean its always good.
Also for common its much easier to buy JL than most of the ones you mentioned
Zed and Audison are in a different price range than the amplifier manufacturers i mentioned, costing more at a lower power ratings (not saying that makes them bad, but keep in mind the OP wants the best bang for his buck). As for helix and brax ive never heard of and i think many would disagree with you that Rockford is on the same level as kicker (youd probably get kicked out of the SMD forum for saying that [emoji1] ). And no, not all "underground" amplifier manufacturers are good. However the ones ive mentioned have proven to live up to their price range and rated power (proven).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.