Help me choose a good bass setup!!

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hey guys what up, I have been trying to get a good bass setup but its really confusing for me with so many good brands out there,

currently I have a jlw0v3 12 inch sub bridge on a ppi 900.4 but I don't know why the bass feels like I can never actually really control it that much I have a pioneer 80 prs but when I try to turn the base up for music like Hip Hop and Reggaeton the bass feels really boomy and less of the thigh bass you feel in the chest.

I have tried playing with the crossover settings in the deck and also turning up the eq settings witting 125hz, 50hz, 80hz and up but nothing. I though in going active but it will be a pain have to run new wires for the twitters all the way from the door to the trunk, by the way I also wanted to point out I have the XXX 6.5 components they sound really nice but they lack mid base I treated the doors and everything but I guess it can be a tuning problem.

Anyways I have been thinking in going either with NVX 1000W 12" VC-Series Dual 4-ohm or Sundown Audio SA-12 4 Ohm, I am planning to get an amp for the sub but my budget for the amp its around 260.

The sub will go on a fiberglass enclosure on the wheel well. I'm planning to go ported and it will be 1.75 cubic feet !

Ill post some picts when the setup its done, dont know why those youtube videos seem so easy building fiberglass boxes LOL, fiberglass Its a "PAIN" hahah

Can you guys tell me which of this subs will perform better for sound quality/Spl and also recommend an amp?

Do u have the ppi 900.4 on lpf for the woofer?

Also Xxx comps have great mid bass so it's prly a mixture between ur amp/HU settings and door install. Are your doors treated with deadener and sealed good?

yeah the doors are treated with dampening material and I built speaker pods because the mids were really big but the whole inside and outside of the metal its cover with dampening material. Im only using the setting in the head unit so all the ppi settings are open ! because I heard that you must use either your hU settings or the amps settings to get good results ! I have to say though that ppi 900.4 its a beast its running the xxx components and the sub at the same time ! my LpF in the HU right now its 80HZ!

The lpf on amp needs to be at 80 too.

U don't want all your filters wide open on amp lmao

Hpf on HU/amp set around 100-120hz

Lpf set at 80.

Sub sonic I leave off but since ur a noob 25hz should be good

Gain is not volume knob and needs to match HU rca voltage

Keep bass boost OFF!

but hey if that matching the crossover setting on the amp with the ones in the Hu dosnt work will you recommend the NVX sub or the Sundown Audio one ??

Sundown... It sounds like u need to really read how to set up your system correctly and how to set gain.. Tons of threads about it if you use the search bar on top the screen. Reading is the best for learning/ then trial/error

But lmk after you changed ur amp settings how she sounding

oh ok so the amp must match the setting from the HU regarding to filters ! Ill try that

That's wrong. You want to use either crossovers on the amp or the head unit. You did it right the first time using x-overs on head unit only. They'll be far better quality in the 80PRS than they are in that amp.

Sounds like your issue now is the box. Either sub you mentioned is about the same, flip a coin.

Fiberglass in the wheel well will get expensive to do right. Do NOT skimp out on thickness.

carolinarigwhite.jpg

You're welcome.

That's wrong. You want to use either crossovers on the amp or the head unit. You did it right the first time using x-overs on head unit only. They'll be far better quality in the 80PRS than they are in that amp.
Sounds like your issue now is the box. Either sub you mentioned is about the same, flip a coin.

Fiberglass in the wheel well will get expensive to do right. Do NOT skimp out on thickness.

He said he had all settings on amps wide open and then just tune at head unit. No that's not what you do.. U can't crank all the amp settings that would sound like trash

yeah i thought i had that right with the filters,I did went and tried to match on the amp the same settings i had in the hu but dang the bass its reaaaally boomy now i want more of a punch feeling with less boomi resonance have u guys been in that position before?

He said he had all settings on amps wide open and then just tune at head unit. No that's not what you do.. U can't crank all the amp settings that would sound like trash
I interpreted "wide open" to mean either through-pass on the crossovers, or all the way to either extreme. I'm pretty sure he didn't mean he cranked the "bass boost" or gains all the way open.

yeah i thought i had that right with the filters,I did went and tried to match on the amp the same settings i had in the hu but dang the bass its reaaaally boomy now i want more of a punch feeling with less boomi resonance have u guys been in that position before?
This is most probably a problem with your box.

you are hitting the lows with your setup. Maybe you are used to the prefab box sound that doesnt hit lows. Overall you'll just want something a lot louder. Use that ppi for your mids and highs and use a monoblock for subs man.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.