Help me build a box for a 10" JL w6v3

Participant count
  • Participant list

mrpep

CarAudio.com Elite
chicago
So I'm very limited on space now and have to down grade from 2 12"s to 1 10". My goal is to make a counter style box so I can still place my kids stroller on it, groceries etc etc. I have 48"w X 12" deep and as least as possible tall. I'd like to either make the sub internal so it's not visible with a side port or sealed if possible but the main goal here is build a good sounding box at approximately 34hz and that is like a counter. Can anyone help me design or with ideas ?

It looks similar to this

2fc0a4d29fd7235a06da06d84c23065f.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's the concept I'm pursuing , would just like it shorter, not as tall.

1ef720e7f10ec121197d74d7e14b151d.png

Another thought has been to make a box about 42" wide X 12" deep and maybe 13" tall and have one 12" on each end facing out towards the sides. Kind of like a bass tube except with a sub on each side. This way I wouldn't have to lose my 12"s and I'm thinking sealed cause they require less space. It would keep my counter short in height and hopefully sound good enough.

2e0cffb6e62ee4d4299a049ebb3448d2.png

4f6f27961885ed5a8d34b035d9ac117e.png

These are the specs for a sealed Ina single 12" w6v3 notice 41hz? I'd like a lot lower so would think that bigger sealed would give me lower.

037d37185c98ceefa1940aa79b4d6614.png

4067a97e6808afa471259a12caad3158.png

Here are the specs for the single 10". Again hz are high in my opinion. So would like make narrower and shorter yet wider .

7fb754a9bbd06bfe6b1d37681e4addc8.png

Something like this would be nice , I would just have to aim ports towards sides so not visible .

7fb754a9bbd06bfe6b1d37681e4addc8.png

Something like this would be nice , I would just have to aim ports towards sides so not visible .

Looks good but I'm worried that if the sub and port are facing opposite direction, you might come across some phase issues. It might work since it's so close to the side walls but I still think it would sound better if they were facing up or rear. Hard to say until you try it.

Looks good but I'm worried that if the sub and port are facing opposite direction, you might come across some phase issues. It might work since it's so close to the side walls but I still think it would sound better if they were facing up or rear. Hard to say until you try it.

Rear or front would mean the subs would be facing inches away from a backwall or seat. Up would be ideal but I need that counter for daily life things. I'm really considering bass tube with a sub one end facing opposite directions . This way I get to keep my 12"s and have a counter.

Or go back to the original plan and use a single 10" sealed since it uses less space and supposed to sound good - never was too crazy about sealed

@mrpep; You say that you only got 12" deep. That's gonna be a challenge. I'm not really a fan of bass tubes but it could possibly work with those 12's. When you go sealed, it's okay to have the subs really close to the rear wall. When I used to run 2 12's sealed before, that was the only way to get decent output out of it. Since you're trying to have your box height as low as possible, the 10 might be more practical for you. I think downfiring might be the way to go in your case too. Port to the side facing driver's side if you decide to go ported.

[quote name='blazian87']@mrpep; You say that you only got 12" deep. That's gonna be a challenge. I'm not really a fan of bass tubes but it could possibly work with those 12's. When you go sealed, it's okay to have the subs really close to the rear wall. When I used to run 2 12's sealed before, that was the only way to get decent output out of it. Since you're trying to have your box height as low as possible, the 10 might be more practical for you. I think downfiring might be the way to go in your case too. Port to the side facing driver's side if you decide to go ported.[/QUOTE]

Good suggestion, down firing with the 10" , I just hate letting go of these 12"s , I think I'm going to attempt this bass tube idea first. Not sure if I should put a divider or leave open .

f6d4edc8c3a25aab11cc3f304416bee4.png

Down firing sealed , this might be the way to go - I could keep my 12"s if I go this route. How many cubic ft are recommended to get about 34hz on 2 12"s JL w6v3? Anyone know ?

So the plan is this , according to a box building program the dimensions given by JL for a w6v3 12" sealed equal out to 1.155 cubic ft. So if I go with 12.5x12.5x18 I get very close to what JL specs out. This will also fit in the truck and I won't have to sell these 12"s and downgrade to a 10". I'll update this post with pics once completed but it will be a while. I'm just making plans for now. Not crazy about sealed but it is what it is and if it sounds that bad I make a single 10" ported . Wish me luck

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.