Help - Hifonics Amp Install

Participant count
  • Participant list

IamAbaddon

I've got a Hifonics ZRX600.4 (75 watts x 4 @ 4 ohm) running to a set of Kicker KS6.2 components (75 RMS/150 peak) and Kicker KS69 rears (150RMS/300 peak) running off of a Pioneer AVH-X1600DVD Head Unit with 2v pre-amp outs.

Issue: To tune, Hifonics support told me this is a "peak power" amp, meaning to attempt to tune with a DMM would not work. They advised I should follow the steps below for a full range setup:

"Crossovers: Full

Crossover Frequency: N/A

Minimum final loudspeaker impedances: 2ohm (Each model is capable of 4 & 2-Ohms stereo per channel)

Ensure that the Level is turned completely to the left prior to turning the system on. Next you should insert a CD or cassette that you are familiar with to use as a reference, and turn the

head unit volume control to about 80% of its full setting. The system sound level will of course be very low, and the following procedures will help you to match the amplifier input

sensitivities properly to the head unit output signal level.

It is important to match the amplifier LEVEL input sensitivity to the Radio/CD output sensitivity. This can be located in the Radio/CD manual.

If the Radio/CD output sensitivity is 2 volts, then adjust the amplifier LEVEL input to 2 volts.

If you are not sure what the Radio output sensitivity is, follow these general guide lines:

Turn the level control up slowly, till you hear distortion, then back off a few degrees on the control. If at any point your amplifier goes into protection, you will need to turn the Level to the

left a bit and then try again. If you reach a point where the output does not increase, stop turning the Level control to the right as the amplifier/speaker combo has reached its maxx

output in this application."

Following those steps, I attempt to turn the stereo to 30 (max of 40). I cannot pass 23 or else the sound will start to distort and lightly clip (this is while the amp is set to 6v). If I turn the volume down around 4 and attempt to adjust the voltage to around the 2v range (around half way), I can reach about 8-10 on the volume before the distortion kicks in. This should not occur if I am correct.

Does anyone have any tips on something I might be missing? I've checked all my wiring, polarity is correct.

I've got a Hifonics ZRX600.4 (75 watts x 4 @ 4 ohm) running to a set of Kicker KS6.2 components (75 RMS/150 peak) and Kicker KS69 rears (150RMS/300 peak).
Issue: To tune, Hifonics support told me this is a "peak power" amp, meaning to attempt to tune with a DMM would not work. They advised I should follow the steps below for a full range setup:

"Crossovers: Full

Crossover Frequency: N/A

Minimum final loudspeaker impedances: 2ohm (Each model is capable of 4 & 2-Ohms stereo per channel)

Ensure that the Level is turned completely to the left prior to turning the system on. Next you should insert a CD or cassette that you are familiar with to use as a reference, and turn the

head unit volume control to about 80% of its full setting. The system sound level will of course be very low, and the following procedures will help you to match the amplifier input

sensitivities properly to the head unit output signal level.

It is important to match the amplifier LEVEL input sensitivity to the Radio/CD output sensitivity. This can be located in the Radio/CD manual.

If the Radio/CD output sensitivity is 2 volts, then adjust the amplifier LEVEL input to 2 volts.

If you are not sure what the Radio output sensitivity is, follow these general guide lines:

Turn the level control up slowly, till you hear distortion, then back off a few degrees on the control. If at any point your amplifier goes into protection, you will need to turn the Level to the

left a bit and then try again. If you reach a point where the output does not increase, stop turning the Level control to the right as the amplifier/speaker combo has reached its maxx

output in this application."

Following those steps, I attempt to turn the stereo to 30 (max of 40). I cannot pass 23 or else the sound will start to distort and lightly clip (this is while the amp is set to 6v). If I turn the volume down around 4 and attempt to adjust the voltage to around the 2v range (around half way), I can reach about 8-10 on the volume before the distortion kicks in. This should not occur if I am correct.

Does anyone have any tips on something I might be missing? I've checked all my wiring, polarity is correct.
Is this a stock Hu you are using?

put all EQ options off. Turn on high pass filter, set it to 80hz and turn your gains down, turn your radio up then reset your gains, it should work fine that way. If you are not getting the loudness/clarity you want, then you might need to try a different amp because hifonics 4 channels, especially the zues series, dont make close to rated power, you are getting less than half of what its rated for.

So, I would leave the EQ off completely (even after tuning?) Or would I be able to adjust this back? It almost reacts like it's getting too much power - hence my confusion on clipping at such a low volume/gain ratio.

So, I would leave the EQ off completely (even after tuning?) Or would I be able to adjust this back? It almost reacts like it's getting too much power - hence my confusion on clipping at such a low volume/gain ratio.
EQ should be flat when you set gains. Afterwards you only reduce, never boost. You might need to find a new happy medium after setting the gains

Gain is not a volume knob, its just to match the input signal from your head unit. When you turn your headunit volume up higher, the signal is stronger so the gain needs to be lower. If the H/U volume is lower then gain would be higher. You have to match it up properly. As of now, your gains are too high or your EQ settings are clipping the signal.

I see - yeah, something isn't right. The 'gain' knob on the amp is by their version - 'Level' which ranges from 6v at low, to .2v at max. Per their instructions (I've my EQ flat and I've also tried this with an EQ set at the desired level, and it's the same issue there), the 'Level' is set to 6v; Bass EQ at 0db; HPF at 60hz; LPF at 30hz and the crossover to FULL.

I try and go with the amp manu. guide first - ONLY in case of mechanical error on their part - I did exactly as told first, which is "When in Hi Pass operation, this setting acts as a low frequency cut off for your system reproduction. The point that you set it at cuts off any frequencies from reproduction beyond this

point. The 12 o’clock position is a great starting point."

So the HPF is set to 12 o'clock.

With the level on 6v, I attempt to put the radio at 75-80% power, as their guide indicates. I cannot reach this point without clipping, at the lowest level setting. If I try and back the H/U volume down to 10-12 in attempts to set the 'Level' somewhere around 2v (which would match the pre-out voltage), it clips around there. This is way too low of volume one would assume - the power ratings on everything should still be able.

When you set the crossover to full, it doesnt matter where you set the high pass and low pass filters, it will give a full signal, there is no cuts when its set to full so dont worry about those. Just turn it to a point where you are happy with the output without any distortion.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.