Help getting navigation unit out

Participant count
  • Participant list

johnnylundy

Hello all,

I recently installed a wired FM modulator in my 2002 Infiniti I35 (same as Maxima 00-04 I am told). Everything went fine with the install and the iPod connection works very well.

I find now, however, that the navigation unit which is the topmost module on the stack (HVAC, Bose radio and navigation unit from bottom-to-top) does not work. This is puzzling to me as I did not remove the nav unit (or the radio for that matter) from the bracket, nor did I even disconnect any cables from the nav unit.

I put a voltmeter on the Molex plug on the back of the nav unit and there is a normal switched +12V DC there. Also, when the ignition is turned on, you can hear the nav unit spinning and making reading sounds on the CD, but the "on/off" and "Eject CD" buttons do nothing.

I am concerned that I may have somehow gotten the CD stuck in there during the time the stack was out and I was installing the FM modulator cables. Maybe the Eject button got pressed and the CD was obstructed in coming out.

Or maybe the nav unit had a cable connection that wasn't snug and fell off when I pulled the stack out to access the antenna on the back of the radio. There is one empty Molex-type socket on the back of the nav unit but I do not know if there is supposed to be a cable there or not. I do not find any loose cables behind the stack anywhere.

Anyway, I think the only thing for me to do now is to remove the four Phillips (probably JIS) screws that hold the nav unit to the bracket and take a look at it. Those screws are very very hard to remove. I have stopped at this point waiting for a #2 JIS screwdriver to arrive on Friday.

Questions for you guys who have experience in installing and removing dash units:

- Anyone know if there is supposed to be an unused 2-conductor small Molex-type socket on the nack of the nav unit? Where I might find pictures of this, or does anyone have a unit like this (Xanavi brand navigation unit)?

- I am waiting for the JIS screwdriver, but I read on one installation description that the author recommended using an impact driver to remove the screws that hold the various modules (A/C, Bose radio and nav unit) to the mounting bracket. Is this something that you folks would recommend? I sure don't want to strip the heads off those screws if I can help it.

- The plastic faceplate with the nav controls won't come off, and this may be where I might have damaged something. I am assuming that once I get the nav module out of the bracket, I will be able to inspect the faceplate better and see if anything is disturbed or broken. Has anyone had the occasion to remove the faceplate from either the Bose radio or the nav unit or the HVAC controls in this car? There is nothing on the front that appears to be any kind of holding screw and I have spent hours searching for any kind of clip or way to remove the faceplate.

Thanks for any assistance that anyone can provide.

Johnny

My JIS screwdriver should be here today.

If that won't budge the bracket screws I will have to see about renting an impact screwdriver.

Anybody here who does car audio for a living? Is an impact driver appropriate for stubborn bracket screws on the console stack?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.