Help cleaning up wiring debacle caused by beer ( )D

Participant count
  • Participant list

theK2

Let me get the embarrassing part of my first post on this forum out the way so that you can judge me and call me an idiot (and I would agree with you if you did). I used to have a small fused distribution block mounted on top of my fuse box in the engine bay (Toyota Tacoma) which I ran my HIDs, Compressor (for air horns), Amp and stuff into. Well, it broke. Worked great for 4+ years but it was done. A friend of mine had one a Scosche terminal and gave it to me.

View attachment 26533633

It literally sat around for MONTHS because I couldn't figure out a clean way to get it mounted with the existing OEM terminal. One night after work I had a *FEW* beers and was sitting on the front porch looking at the truck thinking that I would really like to get all my electronics working again. I went and grabbed the terminal shown above, pulled the positive battery terminal off and cut that summabitch off. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

But...

The cable coming from the starter?alternator? is just a BIT too short. Let's face it - its a ghetto rig. It works but just barely. There is no way to go back since I cut the OEM terminal so I need some wiring advice on how to clean this up best?

I need to be able to connect multiple electronics with different fuses if possible but the most urgent thing I would like to address is the slightly too short large gauge wire. Should I just get a 1-in/1-out fuse block and put a big fuse in there? Attaching the existing wire to a new piece to extend it or should I try to replace the entire wire somehow? Second, what's the better way to wire up add-ons? Is a distribution block still a good way to go or should I go into the fuse box with an add-a-fuse or something of that nature?

Thanks in advance for the help fixing this beer-blunder.

Thanks for the quick reply. Anyone else have any other options? I'm doing an engine swap in about 10 days and would like to have all the gear ready to do this electrical at the same time so I need to get it ordered soon. Also, any preferred vendors that you guys would recommend for items such as these?

I think shoving the "too-short" wire into a fuse holder, is a good idea, then you could have another foot or so of wire leading out of it, giving you much more length to work with. That's just my solution for the first part. I'm too intoxicated to picture the rest of your question.

I'm too intoxicated to picture the rest of your question.
Bahahaha! Hell, that's what got me where I am to begin with. Fuse holder it is with another length of what? probably 2 gauge coming off the starter?

essentially, remotely locate a distribution block (fused preferably) that is in reach of the OEM wire. you'll want the OEM wire on a non-fused output. I prefer MAXI fuses in general, and you can get a block that has (3) 1/0 in and (4) 4 awg outputs.

you'll want the OEM wire on a non-fused output. I prefer MAXI fuses in general, and you can get a block that has (3) 1/0 in and (4) 4 awg outputs.
Sorry but I don't follow. A distro block where the Orem wire would be on a non-fused output? I know what that means but I don't think I've seen a block like that. All the ones I've seen have fuses on all the outputs. Do you have a link to an example? Thanks for the help.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.