Help Choosing an Amp to power speakers and sub

blablablabla

Hello.

First of all I'm new here...

Second, sorry for my bad English, I'm not a native English speaker.

I am very noob and don't have much knowledge on car audio systems so I need your help.

I have the following speakers installation in my car:

• Front door speakers: Infinity Kappa 62.9i, 6.5" 2-Way, 2.0 ohms, 75 Watt RMS.
  • Rear Speaker: Infinity 9633i, 6"x9" 3-Way, 2.0 ohms, 100 Watt RMS.
  • Subwoofer: Sony Xplod XSGTX121LS, 12", 4.0 ohms, 300 Watt RMS.

All this is powered through Premier PA854 4 Channels 3200 Max power Amplifier. (Very low quality amp...)

Front & Rear speakers connected to channels 1&2 and the sub is bridged to channels 3&4.

My problem is that the amp heats so much when listening to music loudly, that you can cook on it.

So I decided to buy a new AMP and that where my questions begin:

1. My speakers are 2ohm and the sub is 4ohm . Does it matter and what info should I look when buying an amp? For example there are 5 channel amps that say 4x80w+1x300w at 4ohm, or 4x160w+1x600w at 2ohm. But there aren't any combinations between 2ohms for speakers and 4ohms for the sub. How do I connect the sub at 4ohms and speakers at 2ohms ?

2. What amp is better? 5 channels or 6 channels ? The speakers are no problem - they are connected to 4 different channels. But the sub can be connected to 1 channel or 2 bridged together channels. What is better?

3. Please enlighten me if I forgot something important when choosing an amp.

Oh, and my Head Unit that will operate all this is Pioneer AVH-X8500BT (has 3 Hi-volt RCA's).

That's about it.

P.S. Please advice me some choices where to start for good & not so expensive amps, what recommended manufacturers etc.

Thanks in advance & have a good day..

Edited: Forgot to ask. Do I Need some power supply for this combination to work or 12v DC will be enough?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody have an answer ?

For example Precision Power P900.5 amplifier has RMS Ratings:

RMS Power 4Ω 70 x4 & 270 x 1

RMS Power 2Ω 115 x 4 & 440 x 1

So, My speakers are 2ohm and my sub is 4ohm, does it mean that it will give 115 watt to each speaker at 2ohm and 270 watt to the sub at 4ohm ?

Also it is stated that it will give that power at 14.4V.. But the car is at 12v, so does it mean that I need a power supply?

Also, What can you say about the above amps (Good brands, good series, stability, what do you recommend to avoid?):

1. Soundstream Tarantula Nano TN5.950D

2. Pyle PLBA530FRD BLADE 6800

3. Hifonics BRX5000.5

4. NVX JAD900.5

5. Lanzar RDA755D

Thanks.

Nobody have an answer ?
For example Precision Power P900.5 amplifier has RMS Ratings:

RMS Power 4Ω 70 x4 & 270 x 1

RMS Power 2Ω 115 x 4 & 440 x 1

So, My speakers are 2ohm and my sub is 4ohm, does it mean that it will give 115 watt to each speaker at 2ohm and 270 watt to the sub at 4ohm ?
That's correct.

Also it is stated that it will give that power at 14.4V.. But the car is at 12v, so does it mean that I need a power supply?
The car runs at or around 14.4V. 12V is with the engine off.

I have the Precision Power P900.5 available to ship today. It just arrived this morning.

Ok. thanks very much for your answer.

I understand that PPI 900.5 is very good amp, but the RMS rating for the sub is lower than my sub (300watt RMS), also I want a reserve for the future, if I would want to but more powerful speakers or sub.

What can you say about other amplifiers that I wrote earlier?

thanks.

The Soundstream amp, the NVX amp, and the P900.5 all have the same parts inside. Do not buy Pyle. The Lanzar amp is very overrated. Hifonics at least should make rated power if you can fit that large of an amp. It's more than 1/2 meter long.

So, from what I see I have remained with:

1. PI P900.5

2. Soundstream TN5.950D

3. Hifonics BRX5000.5, is it really that big? What about its rms ratings? Are they real?

Are there any other good amps that you can recommend? Maybe even more expensive ones?

Thanks

Jbl is good in Sub channel, but 75 watts for the speakers at 2ohm is weak... I need at least 100 watt.

maybe there are any good 6 channel amps so I can connect the sub in bridged mode?

Thanks

Yeah I know, but most of the subs are 4 ohm...

Also, I won't change it now.. so I need to find an amp to fit my combination.

P.s. I see there aren't any good 6 channel amps.

So my choice is between precision power, sound stream or hifonics.

Hifonics is the most powerful, but as you say very big, I will check if I have enough space in my car.

Precision power and sound stream are great for the speakers but the sub rms at 270, when my sub handle 300 rms is not enough.

From both of them which one is more recommended?

Thanks

There are excellent 6 channel amps but they will not make much power bridged at 4 ohms. There are lots and lots of 2 ohms subs or dual 4 ohm subs.

Also, you don't need to match RMS power output to RMS power handling. The sub will still play fine on 270W.

I sell Precision Power but not Soundstream.

Ok. thanks very much for your answer.
I understand that PPI 900.5 is very good amp, but the RMS rating for the sub is lower than my sub (300watt RMS), also I want a reserve for the future, if I would want to but more powerful speakers or sub.

thanks.

You have plenty of reserve for a 2ohm subwoofer.

Get the PPI Class-D 5-channel or its clone. Who cares that the subwoofer is rated for 300watts while the amp is "only 270watt" at 4ohm. 30watts won't make an audible difference. You also will have an upgrade potential to upgrade to a 2ohm or 4-ohm DVC subwoofer down the road.

Also, you don't need to match RMS power output to RMS power handling. The sub will still play fine on 270W.
Yeah, but I wanted to buy more powerful amp, so it won't work on its maximum and will not heat much..

This means the PPI 900.5 will work on its maximum potential for the sub channel, no ? So it will produce much heat..

Correct me if i'm wrong...

You have plenty of reserve for a 2ohm subwoofer.
You are right.

Get the PPI Class-D 5-channel or its clone. Who cares that the subwoofer is rated for 300watts while the amp is "only 270watt" at 4ohm. 30watts won't make an audible difference. You also will have an upgrade potential to upgrade to a 2ohm or 4-ohm DVC subwoofer down the road.
Again, Won't it work on its maximum and produce heat?

Also, I asked earlier, what about alternatives to the PPI? What about Soundstream? or what other clones do we have?

Why not get a 4-channel for your speakers and a mono for the sub? Depending on the power of your mono, that will leave you enough room to upgrade.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.