Question about setting gain with multimeter

Participant count
  • Participant list

Nate88

I have seen a lot of videos on how to set gains properly, but my concern is that they are setting the gain to match the amp rms and not the speakers rated rms. My amp provides a little more rms than what my speakers are rated for. So wouldn't you multiply your speakers ohms by their rated rms and take the square root of that?

Example

(Amp)

4ohms x 200rms = 800 = 28.28v

(Speakers)

4ohms x 150rms = 600 = 24.5v

Catch my drift? It's not much I know, but it just bothered me. And if it were a much bigger difference in voltage wouldn't you be blowing speakers all the time?

just set the voltage to match your speaker's rms ratings, not the maximum rms of what the amp can do unless your speakers can handle more than that.

so in your case just set it at 24.5v and you should be fine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.