Help choosing an amp 2000w rms @ 4ohms

Dustin_Kimble

US
Ok, I've spent the last 2 weeks browsing amp after amp and I'm still not finding exactly what I want. Here's what I'm working with

180amp alternator with 2 batteries

2 pioneer 12s 600w rms, 2000w max

I'd love to be able to find the US Amps to match the US tube amp on the highs, but at this point, I'm open to suggestions.

I've got a dsp-88 and a way to reduce the output other than the amplifiers gain.

Requirements are, able to run 1200 to 2000 watts rms @ 4 ohms and low thd, preferably below .5%, any suggestions?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Maybe a dumb question...

I'm assuming you are running dual 4 ohm drivers.. so why not rewire and drop down to 1ohm? It would be much easier and cheaper to find an amp that can do 2k rms @ 1ohm then at 4..

Maybe a dumb question...
I'm assuming you are running dual 4 ohm drivers.. so why not rewire and drop down to 1ohm? It would be much easier and cheaper to find an amp that can do 2k rms @ 1ohm then at 4..
I know, but just in theory, wouldn't running at 4 ohms with a class a/b amp sound better? If I could spend $300 more for a better amp, I'd save up and do it. This build is proving far from easy. I'll be tackling sound deadening next with SDS tiles and MLV, and cutting myself short on an amp after all the rest I've done won't make much sense. With all that being said....

If you've got a suggestion for a class d amp with 200+ dampening and the THD lower than . 5% I'd certainly give it thought.

Amp will be put on 2 12 dvc 4ohm subs

I've got the subs, and am working on a box. I've already done pioneer premier highs with a us amps tube amp with a dsp-88 with a carputer as the head unit and a 180 amp alternator. This is becoming quite expensive.

2k @ 4ohms... Close to a grand if not more. GL with that search... Ur talking about not cutting corners and best SQ and low THD yet you plan on running Pioneer subs??? Where do they fit in at?

Ok, I've spent the last 2 weeks browsing amp after amp and I'm still not finding exactly what I want. Here's what I'm working with180amp alternator with 2 batteries

2 pioneer 12s 600w rms, 2000w max

I'd love to be able to find the US Amps to match the US tube amp on the highs, but at this point, I'm open to suggestions.

I've got a dsp-88 and a way to reduce the output other than the amplifiers gain.

Requirements are, able to run 1200 to 2000 watts rms @ 4 ohms and low thd, preferably below .5%, any suggestions?

while what your wanting to do is nice and all you really need to rethink this part....

One of these if you can find one used:

JBL BPX2200.1 (bpx22001) Power Series 2-Channel Class D Amplifier

JL Slash series makes rated power to 4 ohm.

There's a pair of Zed Minotaur V3 in Vortex's "overstock" thread for a fair price. Those strapped into 4 ohm will make 2500W.

Many of the Brazilian amps make their rated power into 2 ohm, so buy a Stetsom or Taramps "4000W" amp and and run that at 4 ohm for 2000W.

OR you can find an old-school class A/B surfboard amp. The catch there being you may pay a premium since those have some collectors value. Overheating becomes an issue when you run those amps to sub duty, and they are huge current hogs.... furthermore most of the ones worth owning are getting to be old enough that components may well fail, so don't buy a 20+ year old amp and expect to get a decade out of it without having to sent it out for a tuneup.

I know, but just in theory, wouldn't running at 4 ohms with a class a/b amp sound better? If I could spend $300 more for a better amp, I'd save up and do it. This build is proving far from easy. I'll be tackling sound deadening next with SDS tiles and MLV, and cutting myself short on an amp after all the rest I've done won't make much sense. With all that being said....
If you've got a suggestion for a class d amp with 200+ dampening and the THD lower than . 5% I'd certainly give it thought.

Amp will be put on 2 12 dvc 4ohm subs

I've got the subs, and am working on a box. I've already done pioneer premier highs with a us amps tube amp with a dsp-88 with a carputer as the head unit and a 180 amp alternator. This is becoming quite expensive.

I doubt you could hear the difference in sound quality from running an amp at 1ohm or 4ohm...

I doubt you could hear the difference in sound quality from running an amp at 1ohm or 4ohm...
And it's becoming too much of a hassle looking for the particular amp I want. Unless one pops up in the next month or so it's gonna take me to build a box and get some sound deadening done, I'll probably wind up going with a good class d @ 1 ohm?

That's the best 12's that pioneer sells right now, I'm matching with pioneer premier component highs. Pioneer Premier TS-C520PRS PRS Series 5-1/4" component system at Crutchfield.com

too bad pioneer is bottom of the barrel junk when it comes to subwoofers. You dont need 4 ohms to achieve good sound quality, just get an amplifier with high damping factor at 1 ohm. The enclosure, subwoofer loading and overall install and use of the vehicle acoustics (cabin gain) does 100000000x more for sound quality than 4 ohm vs 1 ohm power which is a trivial and utterly useless factor to think about. Its just like those guys that think paying 5000 dollars for RCA cables make a huge difference in sound.

well said.^^

get better subs.

go 1 ohm.

make sure your box is for what ever sub you go with.

just throwing subs in a box is not good.

box NEEDS to match the subs.

well said.^^get better subs.

go 1 ohm.

make sure your box is for what ever sub you go with.

just throwing subs in a box is not good.

box NEEDS to match the subs.
Looking at the specs, the subs don't look tike they are that bad. 96db sensitivity @ 600w rms should do just fine. The box will be built to the speakers and also to fit a particular place in a vehicle (I've actually got another post on here talking about it). Changing subs right now is trivial, they are already purchased.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.