Help choosing a battery

Participant count
  • Participant list

MANTI5
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Southern AZ
Are there some good choices for running 1500-2000w RMS for under $200 (more under the better)? I have a 2013 Civic and have a Diehard Gold 34r in there now but it's on its last legs and needs to be replaced soon but the budget is very tight right now. If not I'll consider downgrading the system for now.

It did just fine for almost 6 years but they're no longer available locally and the prices have gone up. I've called around and may have a decent price on a Deka, waiting to hear back.

There is only 4 battery companies in the US and 6 total worldwide. You would be surprised who makes what batteries. A lot of them are the exact same just a different label on them. Put it this way...people see Walmart Batteries in their Everstart Maxx line and think "oh its garbage it is a Walmart"...Nope made by Johnson Controls as is a ton of other batteries. I have 3 years on my 65N which is for North as they have a S for South and warmer climates...and in 3 years in -20 degrees I can go out there and start it up without an issue. It doesn't struggle, it doesn't start slow vs the Interstate that was brand new in there. Yes there is different levels and the cheaper ones don't get as good of quality components but overall 4 makers in the US and 6 total in the World.

Do you have advance auto where you live? They carry Diehard and I just got myself one last month.
No, the only place that carried them here was Sears and they're gone now. I just heard back from a local shop with the Deka and he can do an Intimidator 34r for just over $160 after tax so that's not bad.

No, the only place that carried them here was Sears and they're gone now. I just heard back from a local shop with the Deka and he can do an Intimidator 34r for just over $160 after tax so that's not bad.
I've had good luck with those myself but it's been several years. Some batteries go down hill over the years so might want to verify that's still a known good one.

There is only 4 battery companies in the US and 6 total worldwide. You would be surprised who makes what batteries. A lot of them are the exact same just a different label on them. Put it this way...people see Walmart Batteries in their Everstart Maxx line and think "oh its garbage it is a Walmart"...Nope made by Johnson Controls as is a ton of other batteries. I have 3 years on my 65N which is for North as they have a S for South and warmer climates...and in 3 years in -20 degrees I can go out there and start it up without an issue. It doesn't struggle, it doesn't start slow vs the Interstate that was brand new in there. Yes there is different levels and the cheaper ones don't get as good of quality components but overall 4 makers in the US and 6 total in the World.

so does that mean that for example, duralast AGMs would be just as good as north stars for our car audio systems?

As I said some get better components that is evident in every industry. As someone who worked at multiple dealerships including Polaris, 2 semi-truck places and probably 4 or 5 different auto parts stores all as a Manager or Asst. Manager...I went whoever offered the most. I got to see the lists from all 4 companies multiple times.

And of course AGM is better if you can afford, but once again some as we all know..Some AGM batteries are better then others. Odyssey is a great AGM but isn't known that much in the car audio world.

Optimas however are not, people flock to them because of the name. I've seen them cut in half before by the battery guy's when they would come to try and offer their stuff. Everyone used to bring that kind of stuff to show "Oh look at this and how good the components are"..Optimas always looked like garbage.

FYI Duralast Batteries are made by Johnson Controls :). As is Diehard and a few others.

Northstar is made by Energizer now iirc as of 2019. I remember talking to an old friend of mine and hearing about this around April iirc. I would double check though. Energizer also makes Odyssey as well that I know for a fact.

As I said some get better components that is evident in every industry. As someone who worked at multiple dealerships including Polaris, 2 semi-truck places and probably 4 or 5 different auto parts stores all as a Manager or Asst. Manager...I went whoever offered the most. I got to see the lists from all 4 companies multiple times.

And of course AGM is better if you can afford, but once again some as we all know..Some AGM batteries are better then others. Odyssey is a great AGM but isn't known that much in the car audio world.

Optimas however are not, people flock to them because of the name. I've seen them cut in half before by the battery guy's when they would come to try and offer their stuff. Everyone used to bring that kind of stuff to show "Oh look at this and how good the components are"..Optimas always looked like garbage.

FYI Duralast Batteries are made by Johnson Controls :). As is Diehard and a few others.

Northstar is made by Energizer now iirc as of 2019. I remember talking to an old friend of mine and hearing about this around April iirc. I would double check though. Energizer also makes Odyssey as well that I know for a fact.

Very interesting and noted info. Thanks!
Since were on topic of new batteries does anyone also know if any of the lithium batteries go on sale for Black Friday or cyber Monday?Lol...

Lol nope none that I know of. I don't keep up much with the battery stuff anymore. I just remember a lot of that stuff because of all the work I did in those industries.

And no problem.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.