help building a box for a hdc4 18

Never said you were wrong lol. I assumed that first post was just a typo meant for a 15 too. I got similar numbers too with that one so yes BBpro is accurate. However your port area is on the low side of things and i'd try to account in 2ndary baffles, bracing and sub displacement.
The owner of the black nasty, Andrew McCullough has done a lot of testing with soundqubed subs as well and here are his results for a nice workable range with the HDC series

HDC3 & HDC4 Optimum Enclosure Size - Subwoofers / Enclosures - SMD Forum

I had my hdc3 18s at 12.5 cubes and 16.5 port area per cubic feet at 205 ish sq inches of port and they did well up top and down low to 25hz. Output could be gained with a higher tuning but I my vehicle peaked a bit higher so i tuned a bit lower at 35hz to compensate.

I always thought soundqubeds needed mega huge boxes. 2.25 for an HDC312 is much smaller than i expected considering he said its for both sound AND performance

I always thought soundqubeds needed mega huge boxes. 2.25 for an HDC312 is much smaller than i expected considering he said its for both sound AND performance
depends how much power you plan on running to it, but 2.25 net sounds right to me for a 12.

Its related to power. Big boxes tend to give better efficiency but actually is not always optimal for sound quality imo. Properly sized boxes (in relation to the woofer and vehicle) with lots of power sounds best frequency response wise along with better group delay (accuracy) vs overly big boxes trying to get the most low end bloated output with less input power and sacrificing lots of group delay.

Its related to power. Big boxes tend to give better efficiency but actually is not always optimal for sound quality imo. Properly sized boxes (in relation to the woofer and vehicle) with lots of power sounds best frequency response wise along with better group delay (accuracy) vs overly big boxes trying to get the most low end bloated output with less input power and sacrificing lots of group delay.
Thanks Jeff, I'm gonna talk to stang later today about my next box. Gonna order it up!

I agree larger box the higher you group delay.

Once you get to the point to where you have the sma port area as sd its acting more and more like two drivers. Phasing between the sub and the port becomes more reveliant. The ports compliance changes and will have more affect in the box size than the driver..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

chava

chava
los angeles ca
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
Papermaker85