Help Buck pick a new Home Audio Receiver!

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL
I need a small home audio receiver. The biggest issue is going to be I need one that can run at least 6 ohms, my towers are 6 ohm and not 8. So a 6 ohm or even 4 ohm capable amp would be what I'm going to get. I really need a 2 or 4 channel, I just run stereo, left and right really, plus a sub channel. I am not buying one without a subwoofer output, maybe for obvious reasons. I may want a 4 channel for 2 different sets of speaker towers/enclosures, or a 2 channels with both A/B outputs. I just got a new desk and had to remove what I had my huge Onkyo receiver on. So now I've got this giant audio receiver just sitting on my desk until I buy this.

I'm not nearly as familiar with the options I have with home audio stuff, so let me know. I'd want something that probably at least 100w per channel, at least on the main or A channel. B channel can be smaller because it'll just be some smaller 5.25" desktop speakers. I have Kilpsch tower that are a little over 3.5" tall with 3 5.25's in it that are ported, and a horn-like tweeter. So I need something to power those well enough, I do crank it up.

So I think you can see my problem, my newly built PC will be what I'm going to use here, just gotta get a monitor and change my CPU paste and some stuff, using my laptop for now:

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com Elite
Mar 27, 2019
Wisconsin
Check this place out and see what they have for you. I bought my Denon 7.2 there as a refurbished unit for 299.99 vs a new one that was close to 450 at that time.

They have a ton of stuff there and they are good people to deal with. Plus sometimes certain receivers will come with free speakers as well and they offer a chance to buy a extended warranty also.

Of course sometimes Amazon has them. From what I have seen Yamaha has more options out there for 6 ohm setups these days. Read something a little while ago that you had to do it in a menu option. Plus of course Newegg as well has some. All depends on how much you want to spend as that stuff has gone up the past few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buck

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This current receiver does ~100 watts at 6 ohms, I'd like to get close to that. Looking for something maybe the size of a gaming console, if that's an option. Or smaller, whatever. I'll compromise where I need to get the power and sub output and what not I want.

Popwarhomie

CarAudio.com Elite VIP
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
FL
I don't think you will find a true 100 watt 2.1 with A/B outputs that is small. That's why I went with a full size receiver for my computer setup over the Dayton DTA-PRO.

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com Elite
Mar 27, 2019
Wisconsin
Thinking that as well after doing some looking around. Probably have to go to at least a 5.2 that does said 6 ohms or 4 ohms. 2.1 receivers are becoming a thing of the past.

Or you go the used route via eBay or craigslist or contact a local electronics store.

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL
It doesn't have to necessarily be that small, as a console, it needs to be thin or either have a remote that works from really far away so I can put it in a closet and just wire it through the walls. Speaker wire isn't anything to buy. This Onkyo is 15.25" deep or so. If I could find something 10" deep, that would be great, it could be whatever size besides the depth.

Popwarhomie

CarAudio.com Elite VIP
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
FL
That Sony, Yamaha R-S202BL, and the Insignia NS-STR514 were my 3 choices. I went with the Insignia for $110 on sale. If that Sony was that price when I was comparing I would have gotten it for sure.

Last edited:

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com Elite
Mar 27, 2019
Wisconsin
Yeah I didn't see those when I looked but didn't get a deep look into it. I would go with any of them. Find who has the cheapest price on them and go from there.

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL
Yeah I didn't see those when I looked but didn't get a deep look into it. I would go with any of them. Find who has the cheapest price on them and go from there.
Yeah, I think that's what I'm gonna do probably.

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL
These are my tower speakers, if anyone is interested:

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL
Idk why, my tower speakers read 4 ohms and they're rated at 8 ohms. I was mistaken, my receiver right now is rated at 6 ohms, and for some reason my towers read 4 ohms, even though they're supposed to be 8 ohms, so idk why that is.

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com Elite
Mar 27, 2019
Wisconsin
Could find one a repair place for it. Some people still do that especially in the local scene. Onkyo is the owned by Denon now as is Pioneer and a few others. I seriously thought about a Integra Home AV Receiver as they are damn nice.

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL
Could find one a repair place for it. Some people still do that especially in the local scene. Onkyo is the owned by Denon now as is Pioneer and a few others. I seriously thought about a Integra Home AV Receiver as they are damn nice.

I won't repair it, I've got to get the new one for space reasons.

LsGuy

Manila Gorilla
Sep 11, 2020
Ohio
Why not repair it if putting it in a closet is an option? Controlling it remotely is simple depending on what you are running on it. For instance, playing music over Bluetooth from your phone, just use your phone to control volume. Playing media from pc, the pc has volume control. Playing music from the TV, if your unit has ARC capability, your TV remove can control the head unit volume. If you want to run everything from it, do what I did and grab a Harmony remote. It will control all of your devices over WiFi, so putting it in the closet shouldn't be an issue.

Heres one of my onkyo's chilling in the closet of my woodshop. Wanted it closed off from the dust, so I stuck it in there and ran wires out for my tower speakers which I don't care if they get dusty. I just connect my phone to Bluetooth to play music while I work, and control the volume with my phone. The sub is in the closet as well to protect the built in amp from dust, and the closet has no real effect on the bass that I've noticed.

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL
Why not repair it if putting it in a closet is an option? Controlling it remotely is simple depending on what you are running on it. For instance, playing music over Bluetooth from your phone, just use your phone to control volume. Playing media from pc, the pc has volume control. Playing music from the TV, if your unit has ARC capability, your TV remove can control the head unit volume. If you want to run everything from it, do what I did and grab a Harmony remote. It will control all of your devices over WiFi, so putting it in the closet shouldn't be an issue.

Heres one of my onkyo's chilling in the closet of my woodshop. Wanted it closed off from the dust, so I stuck it in there and ran wires out for my tower speakers which I don't care if they get dusty. I just connect my phone to Bluetooth to play music while I work, and control the volume with my phone. The sub is in the closet as well to protect the built in amp from dust, and the closet has no real effect on the bass that I've noticed.

View attachment 25425
My receiver is like 15 years old, the remote ***** and it doesn't have bluetooth or anything. I've ordered a sony 2 channel system that's smaller that's just going to go on my desk.

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL
But yeah, if i had better control of this one, I'd just throw it in a closet. But it's not worth repairing, because it seems like the actual board is going out. The receiver I bought was only like $112 or something so it wasn't bad at all.

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL
I got my Sony receiver in. I like everything about it, besides the RCA outs aren’t controlled by the volume knob, it’s just the same level as the line in. So here I come bass knob. My sub scared this shit out of me

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds