Help Buck pick a new Home Audio Receiver!

Participant count
  • Participant list

Buck
5,000+ posts

little alien on campus
I need a small home audio receiver. The biggest issue is going to be I need one that can run at least 6 ohms, my towers are 6 ohm and not 8. So a 6 ohm or even 4 ohm capable amp would be what I'm going to get. I really need a 2 or 4 channel, I just run stereo, left and right really, plus a sub channel. I am not buying one without a subwoofer output, maybe for obvious reasons. I may want a 4 channel for 2 different sets of speaker towers/enclosures, or a 2 channels with both A/B outputs. I just got a new desk and had to remove what I had my huge Onkyo receiver on. So now I've got this giant audio receiver just sitting on my desk until I buy this.

I'm not nearly as familiar with the options I have with home audio stuff, so let me know. I'd want something that probably at least 100w per channel, at least on the main or A channel. B channel can be smaller because it'll just be some smaller 5.25" desktop speakers. I have Kilpsch tower that are a little over 3.5" tall with 3 5.25's in it that are ported, and a horn-like tweeter. So I need something to power those well enough, I do crank it up.

So I think you can see my problem, my newly built PC will be what I'm going to use here, just gotta get a monitor and change my CPU paste and some stuff, using my laptop for now:

Check this place out and see what they have for you. I bought my Denon 7.2 there as a refurbished unit for 299.99 vs a new one that was close to 450 at that time.

They have a ton of stuff there and they are good people to deal with. Plus sometimes certain receivers will come with free speakers as well and they offer a chance to buy a extended warranty also.

Of course sometimes Amazon has them. From what I have seen Yamaha has more options out there for 6 ohm setups these days. Read something a little while ago that you had to do it in a menu option. Plus of course Newegg as well has some. All depends on how much you want to spend as that stuff has gone up the past few years.

Last edited:
This current receiver does ~100 watts at 6 ohms, I'd like to get close to that. Looking for something maybe the size of a gaming console, if that's an option. Or smaller, whatever. I'll compromise where I need to get the power and sub output and what not I want.

I don't think you will find a true 100 watt 2.1 with A/B outputs that is small. That's why I went with a full size receiver for my computer setup over the Dayton DTA-PRO.

Thinking that as well after doing some looking around. Probably have to go to at least a 5.2 that does said 6 ohms or 4 ohms. 2.1 receivers are becoming a thing of the past.

Or you go the used route via eBay or craigslist or contact a local electronics store.

It doesn't have to necessarily be that small, as a console, it needs to be thin or either have a remote that works from really far away so I can put it in a closet and just wire it through the walls. Speaker wire isn't anything to buy. This Onkyo is 15.25" deep or so. If I could find something 10" deep, that would be great, it could be whatever size besides the depth.

That Sony, Yamaha R-S202BL, and the Insignia NS-STR514 were my 3 choices. I went with the Insignia for $110 on sale. If that Sony was that price when I was comparing I would have gotten it for sure.

Last edited:
Idk why, my tower speakers read 4 ohms and they're rated at 8 ohms. I was mistaken, my receiver right now is rated at 6 ohms, and for some reason my towers read 4 ohms, even though they're supposed to be 8 ohms, so idk why that is.

Could find one a repair place for it. Some people still do that especially in the local scene. Onkyo is the owned by Denon now as is Pioneer and a few others. I seriously thought about a Integra Home AV Receiver as they are damn nice.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.