Help!! - 2 Stereo Amps + 2 x DVC Subs - Need Help Wiring custom Config!?

Participant count
  • Participant list

dave010880

UK
Hi All,

Sorry if this is short, previous 9 attempts have been denied so trying short and sweet.

Could anyone let me know if it is possible to wire as in the attached picture? Current layout is bridged at 8ohms and the subs are lacking punch. Wiring is 2 gauge into 4 x 4 Gauge on both power and earth feeds. Speaker wire I believe is 16 Gauge.

View attachment 26534676

Speakers are 350-400w RMS each so this setup I'm hoping will give me 400W.

Any advice welcome bar changing subs & amps, this is being done on a budget with my old gear.

Thanks.

Hi Thanks for the response... I'll try it out and see if it gives more punch. Was hoping to get the 400 as bridged is giving 300 already but I'm up for anything. 2 Ohm may be the answer.

You will not have enough power gain from 600 system watts to 800 system watts to have an audible difference, all else being equal. Probably the best overall would be to wire each sub's VC in series for two 8 ohm subs. Then wire both subs parallel for a 4 ohm final impedance and use them this way on one amp bridged mono. This will yield the same 600 watts, but without the stereo separation for better over all system output.

(I apologize for not mentioning this earlier.)

Hi, it's no problem.. my first attempt at posting had all the info but as mentioned it was denying me.

I am using an old pair of Inifinity 202a amps, not sure on the condition of these as they've not been run for a long time. I do have my reservations on whether the amps are the cause of the lacking power on the 8Ohm config as there are a few niggles I have. When adjusting the gain while music is running the Subs have a nasty fit, a bit like when you turn an old radio from station to station and you get the loud static as you go. Not sure if this is a sign that the amps are duff or if it's just the age of the gain pot doing it. My only hint that there is nothing wrong is that both do exactly the same... whats the likelyhood of both having gone?

Another question... your suggestions appear to gear to the 1 amp. Would I not be pushing that amp to it's limits vs using the power at 8Ohm spread over two? Or are you able to justify a better response by using 2Ohms? I must confess despite having the system years back I really am quite a noob on understanding what it best and why.

Thanks.

I've managed to try out your suggestions...

I don't appear to have any change in Audio punch. The amps certainly appaar to be fine on both 2ohm and the 4ohm config but the sub stilll alcks punch. Not only that if I turn the gain up and the bass boost to get this to kick out the speaker eems to just distort. There is no clean action, I showed thi to my freind who use dto be in to his audio and he says it's as if the amp is unable to control the speaker, as if it doesn't have the power causing distortion. He did also say he doesn't understand why considering the size of wire and tha fect that the battery is only 2ft from the amps = short wires everywhere.

Does any of this make sense? would anyone know what else could be causing this lack in punch?

Thanks

I've managed to try out your suggestions...
I don't appear to have any change in Audio punch. The amps certainly appaar to be fine on both 2ohm and the 4ohm config but the sub stilll alcks punch. Not only that if I turn the gain up and the bass boost to get this to kick out the speaker eems to just distort. There is no clean action, I showed thi to my freind who use dto be in to his audio and he says it's as if the amp is unable to control the speaker, as if it doesn't have the power causing distortion. He did also say he doesn't understand why considering the size of wire and tha fect that the battery is only 2ft from the amps = short wires everywhere.

Does any of this make sense? would anyone know what else could be causing this lack in punch?

Thanks
Punch ur friend in the face... Turn BB off and set ur gain correctly before u clip them to death and then u really will have no "punch".

To clarify, the bass boost I mentioned was from the head unit. I simply thought to change the settings to more bass to see if it would improve anything. It did increase bass to an audible/feelable level but my rear 6x9's are too loud at that level, without having a seperate amp for the 6x9's Bass boosting is off anyway.

Regarding gain, I have a problem with both amps which I think I mentioned on when turning the gain the speakers have an awful fit. I delved a little further and it appears that adjusting causes mementary problems with the sub (I've resorted to adjsuting while off then turning back on). However if I use est. 90-100% of my gain the subs will occasiosn hiccup and just toucing the gain pot makes it scratch around something cronic, I don't want to blow my subs. Without dissmantling the subs to replace the pot I'm stuck with about 80-90% of max gain.

I would however hope that I woudln't have to push the gain to 100% for this to work! Am I wrong in this assumption? I'm not trying to punch out my windows or anything, just want clean undistorted bass that I can feel over my 6x9's.

I was advised that my head unit signal may be too low, I wondered if there is a way to boost teh head unit signal? any ideas?

Also been advised to run the 6x9's to a seperate amp. That way I can adjust everything however that's spending even more money.

Any more suggestions will be greatly appreciated... if you have any tips on the best way to set my gain properly I'd be open or opinions on having to use 100%?

Thanks, Dave

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.