Headunit Wiring

Participant count
  • Participant list

lipski24.ml
10+ year member

Wisconsin
I am wiring in a deck for my friend. and she has the most afro engineered car ive seen... Its rediculous. Jumpers to ductape, wires hanging from the console to under the floor mats. Speaker wire all over the place. There are jumpers to more jumpers, to the original wire harness. Its a mess. But I am trying, and I got it all sorted and i started wiring it up. I realized we had a problem though, the illumination wire, is not on the headunit. And there is no power antenna wire from the car, and theres also no ground wire from the car. All the wires have been cut and ripped and they are all way too short. I literally told her, if someone asks, you dont know who did this because there isnt a way to make it look good, without spending money. and she doesnt have any. So the question is do i need and illumination wire? A gorund from the car? Or a power antenna?? Its a 97 Dodge Neon. With some old a$$ sony headunit. HELP PLEASE!

wow. when i encounter that type of work i fix all of it. i start by removing everything that wasn't stock, all added audio/speaker wires get pulled out, any accessory stuff gets removed. i get the car back to stock as close as possible and fix anything the previous people did to compromise the car's safety.

i will repair the stock wiring to the harness (solder/heatshrink or Super 33+ tape) then get the $10 adapter harness and do the job correctly.

then i re-do the audio wiring correctly. sometimes you can reuse what you pulled, sometimes you cannot.

no, you don't need the illumination wire.

yes, you can ground directly to steel (there is usually a stock ground with a bunch of wires on a bolt somewhere near there).

power antenna requires a quick look around the car for a power antenna. if you don't see one, there isn't one.

good luck. it doesn't cost a lot of money to fix, just a lot of time.

Thank you! I may sound stupid, but she has a normal antenna on her car? Ha! Idk what the difference is! Sorry! So should I just like buy the right color wire and connect the old wire, to the right color wire for a new harness? I will just tell her that she may need a new deck, because we have the problem of no wire harness adapter on the back of the deck that came with the car.

power antenna means it hides in the car when the radio is off then extends out when the radio is on. fixed antenna's do not need the power antenna wire connected.

you can keep the head unit as it is independent of the issues you have. the adapter harness is separate from the head unit and if she is on a budget, she will need to invest in the harness and maybe some wire.

Metra Part # 70-1817 | Chrysler wire harness | Metra Online

Metra 70-1817 is the harness you need.

here are stock wiring colors

1997 Dodge Neon Car Radio Stereo Wiring Diagram

1997 Dodge Neon Car Stereo Radio Wiring Diagram

Car Radio Constant 12V+ Wire: Pink

Car Radio Ignition Switched 12V+ Wire: Red/White

Car Radio Ground Wire: Black

Car Stereo Illumination Wire: Orange

Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: Black/Yellow

Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: N/A

Car Stereo Amplifier Trigger Wire: N/A

Front Speakers Size: 6 1/2″ Speakers

Front Speakers Location: Doors

Left Front Speaker Wire (+): Dark Green

Left Front Speaker Wire (-): Brown/Red

Right Front Speaker Wire (+): Purple

Right Front Speaker Wire (-): Dark Blue/Red

Rear Speakers Size: 6″ x 9″ Speakers

Rear Speakers Location: Rear Deck

Left Rear Speaker Wire (+): Brown/Yellow

Left Rear Speaker Wire (-): Brown/Light Blue

Right Rear Speaker Wire (+): Dark Blue/White

Right Rear Speaker Wire (-): Dark Blue/Orange

ask whatever questions you need, that's why we are here.

Will do! Thanks a ton! I have been working on this car and it just seems to get worse and worse! I can try and take pictures as soon as possib le to show you what i have been working with! And i am convinced that the car was stolen before she bought it! Better yet, she got screwed and over payed for the car! Thats why there is really no need to put money in it!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.