Head unit help. One USB input - but need 2?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hello guys.. I just had a Pioneer AVH x5500 installed in my truck, and I have seemed to encounter a problem, which I am hoping is an easy solution.

My installer wired my iPhone data cable to my center console. But here is the kicker - he never bothered to tell me that now the USB flush mount he also installed in my dash would be useless. I guess it's one or the other being the head unit only has one USB input. The problem is that the cable he installed is useless to me until I download the iPhone 5 update.. WHICH I NEED TO DO VIA USB!!! Uh so frustrated. I would have hoped he would have told me the USB on my dash would be disconnected, or at least would have downloaded the update before disconnecting it being I told him I had an iPhone 5.

I guess my question is.. how do I use the USB flush mount in my dash AND my iPhone cable he wired into my console? He said I might need a DC powered hub? Or is there another way to accomplish this?

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what your installer did here as if you do have the CORRECT adapter needed for the Iphone 5 = CD-IV202AV - It has a usb input wired into it in addition to your phone and HU connections..... ???

I am looking at the photo of the CD-IV202AV - and I do see a USB female end - which for some reason I can't even get to due to being hidden under my console. So I wouldn't need a splitter? Is that supposed to go right back to the flush mount he installed? I hope I am explaining this correctly.

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what you're saying as well. So you have one USB input on the deck, and two in your vehicle, going to your deck; an iPhone cable, and a USB plug in the dash, correct? But, only one or the other works at a time, and you can't use both at the same time? It sounds like this would be a limitation of your head unit, not the wiring. Someone else correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a splitter still create the same conflict at the source unit?

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what you're saying as well. So you have one USB input on the deck, and two in your vehicle, going to your deck; an iPhone cable, and a USB plug in the dash, correct? But, only one or the other works at a time, and you can't use both at the same time? It sounds like this would be a limitation of your head unit, not the wiring. Someone else correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a splitter still create the same conflict at the source unit?
Well YES - he can only use 1 device connected at a time, but I think he's saying his other dash mounted usb is not even connected at all???

I had the installer flush mount a USB jack to my dash so I can listen to music via my USB drives. I also had him install the iPhone kit. They both require USB however - but the back of the head unit only has one USB input - so I can only listen to music via my iPhone, and never a USB drive. I'd like to do both because I don't always have my phone on me.

Its not that I would want to use both at the same time (obviously), but now I only have the option of using my iPhone as a music source. And I want to also have the option of using my USB thumb drive as well.

I guess my wording is wrong - I am looking for a hub, not a splitter. I basically need 2 USB inputs, rather than the one that the deck gives me.

You really might be able to get away with a regular plain old non-powered 2 way usb splitter since you will not be using more than one device at a time, if not refer to the link I posted above that one works on 12v dc //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Ok. Yes like NIHL8ION said, you could get away with a non powered splitter. A single USB port can supply up to like a 1000 something additional USB ports. But, if you PAYED someone to do this installation for you, and it was done improperly. I would take it back and have them fix it. There's no excuse for someone to charge you for work and it not be done right.

I haven't used a splitter on a head unit before, only computers. But it should all work the same. How exactly did your installer add the secondary USB port in your dash? IE, what's it running to?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.