Have a ported box, need another box. ported or sealed? add another? build one more?

I think 90% of ppl who buy aftermarket car audio DO keep things for 4 years or more.
OP, go ahead and buy the best buy subs and build or buy a solid sealed box for them. After you decide how many and what impedence subs you are using come back and ask for a good amp to drive them (best not to even mention brand of subs or you'll have every ****-rider on here telling you which online brand sub is better).

Also please do yourself a favor and don't try to tell us how good or how loud the big-box store brands are...that's asking for a well deserved flaming since many people here either have or have heard really loud and really good sounding equipment and installs.
Man it's the same **** with ATI vs NVIDIA or AMD VS INTEL. Now it's "known vs unknown" brands. Same **** with underground hip hop and **** played on the radio.

The sub hits hard for the price, and I'm satisfied with it. I'll just leave it at that. There is always something better and louder. I know this.

I already made a thread asking about a kicker amp, and I know the impedance (1 or 4 ohms for 2 subs, 2 ohms for one)

Everyone is bashing best buy protection plans - anyone have a LEGIT reason?
Or is this one of those "I want to be cool and think I'm better than buying from best buy, because they sell kicker and alpine and known brands that high schoolers think are cool" kinds of things?

It's almost like there is some correlation with not buying major known brands and being cool, and I don't get it.

EDIT: I would also be open to ebay + squaretrade warranty, or square trade alone if possible?
Its about what you get for your money.. Best buy has to make a profit, right? Kicker, Clarion, Kenwood is all made in China also the low level JLs. Dont even mention BOSS, power acuostic. The companies we are teaching you about are independents( no high overhead and no marketing to pay for ) therefor you can get direct pricing. Cut the middle man markup and get assembled in the US products. The best customer service you can think of, can you ask the guy that designed and built your clarion about specs?

Its about what you get for your money.. Best buy has to make a profit, right? Kicker, Clarion, Kenwood is all made in China also the low level JLs. Dont even mention BOSS, power acuostic. The companies we are teaching you about are independents( no high overhead and no marketing to pay for ) therefor you can get direct pricing. Cut the middle man markup and get assembled in the US products. The best customer service you can think of, can you ask the guy that designed and built your clarion about specs?
Thank you. I don't know why anyone hasn't PM'd me and told me this.

I would much rather buy a USA made product than china made.

And I know boss is CRAP but for the $30 I paid for it, it slammed.

Just get your box set up, when you are ready to really slam get on here and ask about your next upgrade. You will get many ideas and sort though it until you find what you want

Everyone is bashing best buy protection plans - anyone have a LEGIT reason?
Or is this one of those "I want to be cool and think I'm better than buying from best buy, because they sell kicker and alpine and known brands that high schoolers think are cool" kinds of things?

It's almost like there is some correlation with not buying major known brands and being cool, and I don't get it.

EDIT: I would also be open to ebay + squaretrade warranty, or square trade alone if possible?
you came on here asking advice, which was given... then you said to prove to you why you shouldnt buy subs from best buy subs... which was done... then you become defensive about best buy subs... like their the cure-all.. which is the main reason you got flamed.

point is.... i dont think that anyone here is trying to be "cool", nut-hugging online brands, or any of the sort... i'm not trying to say that box brand (kicker, RF, clarion, alpine, kenwood) dont make any good subs... they make some ok ones... all we're trying to say here, is that there are MUCH better subs that can be had for around the same amount of money... that you wont need a "4 year protection plan" on, unless you plan on screwing up the wiring and blowing them.

and i'm not just bashing best buy, just to bash them... i managed the install bay for 3 years at store 332, years ago... so i know their practices when it comes to car audio... the sales guys are idiots... the only guys there who usually know what their talking about are the installers, as their the only ones who are required to have any type of certification (MECP)... and even that is a stretch sometimes... and their "protection plan" will not cover blown subs... i dont know who at best buy told you that, but that will only cover the equipment malfunctioning... not user error.

take my advice whichever way you want... i'm done wasting my breathe on this thread

Alright this is just an update.

I had bought a JL 12w3v3-4 and had a custom box built, and bought an RF p500-2 to power it.

It all runs fine, BUT, I hear people complaining about dry rot on the surround and out here the humidity/moisture is really bad.

That's the only reason I wanted to get a sub with a warranty.

This whole thread is disheartening. OP, you're just like every other moron who thinks Best Buy equipment is amazing because it's cheap with cheap, pointless warranties. You've never heard a loud sub. You've never heard a good sounding sub. You've only heard crap, and with the way you've reacted to all of the GREAT advice in this thread, the only thing you'll ever hear is crap. I hope you have fun listening to fart noises every time you drive.

Now, did you really compare ATI vs NVIDIA discussions with Best Buy vs non crap discussions? No. You clearly have no idea how anything works.

They're giving you the links and recommendations because the products they're talking about are good products. It's not because Kicker is popular. It's because Kicker blows(I know you're not talking about Kicker in this thread, but you mentioned it). No Wal-Mart or Best Buy you'll ever go to will have equipment worth your time(other than head units, maybe... I haven't been to any of those places to see if they have good prices). Nine times out of ten, you'll be able to go online and spend the same amount of money for 10x the quality.

To me, you sound like the average buster whose ignorance blinds him from the truth. AMD is worse than Intel. Radio rap isn't real music. Boss isn't a real car audio company.

I guess I'll just take the clarion back then.
How much can I get for the JL 12w3 with custom box and p500-2?
You don't have to take the Clarion back. It's really not that big of a deal; I, along with most of the other people in the thread, are just trying to get you to understand that you can get much better equipment for nearly the same price(unless the sub is like $50). You could get two decent 10's or 12's for ~$200. RMS ratings aren't nearly as important as most marketing-based companies like to make people believe.

As for selling the W3 and amp, you could put it on your local Craigslist. I'm not sure exactly how much you'd get, but you could expect around $200 or more to the right person, assuming you're willing to wait for that right person.

Well out here there is lots of humidity and moisture.

I got scared and didn't want the 12w3 to just die on me one day so I got an inexpensive sub with a warranty that I thought would cover my *** should the sub disintegrate.

Well out here there is lots of humidity and moisture.
I got scared and didn't want the 12w3 to just die on me one day so I got an inexpensive sub with a warranty that I thought would cover my *** should the sub disintegrate.
it most likely won't. the main reason that the sales guys at the big box stores push their "service plans" so much, is cuz its the only thing they make commission on... not cuz its any good. they will try to convince you that it covers everything.... until you bring it back, then they will find every reason in the world why it isn't covered in "the plan" .... one of the main reasons I left best buy back in the day... ALOT of dis information, and dirty business practices... just FYI

it most likely won't. the main reason that the sales guys at the big box stores push their "service plans" so much, is cuz its the only thing they make commission on... not cuz its any good. they will try to convince you that it covers everything.... until you bring it back, then they will find every reason in the world why it isn't covered in "the plan" .... one of the main reasons I left best buy back in the day... ALOT of dis information, and dirty business practices... just FYI
That's why I try to write down what they say or get it in writing.

We bought a laptop for $1,000. Sony vaio. Kid said it could run bad company 2, when I know it couldn't but I wanted to see what he would say.

We took it back because we could not get the drivers to work after installing a fresh copy of windows to get rid of the bloatware. (doing this sped the computer up at least 10 fold)

The last time I contacted best buy chat, they said it would be covered if I blew the sub, but today they denied that claim. Going to try to get someone to say it will, and then screen shot it for proof.

Kinda ***** that they rip people off to make money...what happened to honest business practices?...

Evil best buy, evil...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.