Has anyone ever severly screwed up the big 3?

Don't really see how you can mess it up. An easy way to make sure you do it correctly is just follow all your stock wires for the big 3 and add on to them or replace them (doesn't really matter either way, I prefer removing them to clean it up)

leave your factory wiring in, new cars will lock the computer down when you remove them. They use the resistance of the factory wires to make sure it's working correctly.

so do i have to use the same grounding spot from my old chasis ground and engine block ground for the upgrade?
Don't have to but it just makes it easier. You want to make sure your grounds are on a solid piece of metal and that the spot where it's grounded to has been sanded/grinded down to bare metal. Also, you have an older vehicle so you could take out the wiring and you won't have issues.

AGM/deepcycle batteries are ideally better because they are designed to be able to tolerate being discharged more than your typical wet cell battery is. Either adding on a deepcycle batt to your electrical system or replacing your starter batt all together will be a step in the right direction for making sure your not restricting any parts of your setup of power.

Pretty much everythings been covered and is spot on. Leave original wires, use the proper gauge for your amp draw, avoid moving or sharp objects, tuck and secure wires, and take your time and ask if you don't understand.

When I did my big 3 I was getting ready to connect the last cable, negative to amp, and I was in a hurry to get it done as I was excited to be finished and I leaned into the trunk and unscrewed the terminal and as I slid the spade into the terminal block on the amp I heard a crackling sound come from the amp. I froze and about pooped myself... I pulled the cable off and went over every inch of cable and found no issues. I connected the negative again and this time no crackling. I turned on the car and the radio... no subs.

I started to panic. Then I saw the switch I had put on the remote wire was off. Turned it on and the subs worked. Idiot. But that sound? I looked real close at everything then I noticed a crushed leaf in the weatherstrip channel of the trunk and realized the hat I was wearing had crushed it as I leaned over to hook up the cable. I felt so relieved... and stupid.

Pretty much everythings been covered and is spot on. Leave original wires, use the proper gauge for your amp draw, avoid moving or sharp objects, tuck and secure wires, and take your time and ask if you don't understand.
When I did my big 3 I was getting ready to connect the last cable, negative to amp, and I was in a hurry to get it done as I was excited to be finished and I leaned into the trunk and unscrewed the terminal and as I slid the spade into the terminal block on the amp I heard a crackling sound come from the amp. I froze and about pooped myself... I pulled the cable off and went over every inch of cable and found no issues. I connected the negative again and this time no crackling. I turned on the car and the radio... no subs.

I started to panic. Then I saw the switch I had put on the remote wire was off. Turned it on and the subs worked. Idiot. But that sound? I looked real close at everything then I noticed a crushed leaf in the weatherstrip channel of the trunk and realized the hat I was wearing had crushed it as I leaned over to hook up the cable. I felt so relieved... and stupid.
Even though I know I haven't messed with anything, attaching the positive terminal to the battery always makes me nervous. That light spark you get when it first comes into contact freaks me out haha.

I actually had something similar to what happened to you. Had just finished installing my fuse block and ran the 8g for my 2ch. I put it under the back seats and because I had cut the wire a little short I had to get creative with how I ran it. When I was done I slammed down the back seat (bad idea) and the lock on the seat spliced right through my wire and popped the fuse for my 8g. However I was working in my garage under very low light and my head was like 2ft from the fuse block. When that fuse popped in my ear and the whole car lit up I'm pretty sure I peed a little.

Even though I know I haven't messed with anything, attaching the positive terminal to the battery always makes me nervous. That light spark you get when it first comes into contact freaks me out haha.
I actually had something similar to what happened to you. Had just finished installing my fuse block and ran the 8g for my 2ch. I put it under the back seats and because I had cut the wire a little short I had to get creative with how I ran it. When I was done I slammed down the back seat (bad idea) and the lock on the seat spliced right through my wire and popped the fuse for my 8g. However I was working in my garage under very low light and my head was like 2ft from the fuse block. When that fuse popped in my ear and the whole car lit up I'm pretty sure I peed a little.
yeah i do that alot when i hear a fuse blow. even worse when you hear it whistle and see a spark under the hood doing 90 down i-40 (not my car)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

JoshGuy

10+ year member
JoshGuy
Lawton, OK
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from