Pioneer avh-p4200 rca pre out problems

Participant count
  • Participant list

Onebadaudi
10+ year member

I seem to be having some issues with the head unit. I have 2 amps, one for the components(JL c2605s) and one for my sub(13.5 w7). The beginning issue was when i had the volume on anything higher than 10, i would lose all of my speaker volume but the bass level remained the same. It was as if i put blankets over all of my speakers. I would turn the unit back down, turn it back up, they would play then drop out again. It has now switched over to my sub but its a different problem. When i am playin the radio at 5 or 6, the bass is very quiet (much lower than it should be). when i turn the unit back up to around 8 or 9 the bass is still quiet than all of the sudden its back at full force. Everytime there is a break in the bass line of a song, when the bass starts it is quiet then snaps back to its regular level. I have had the amps tested and they are both in perfect working order. My voltage flucuation to the amps are nothing lower than 12 volts and the amps never go into protection mode as well. I believe there is an issue with the RCA preout board on the head unit that is causing this. All grounds are to bare metal, everything checks out so my last thought has to be the head unit itself.

Anyone have any thoughts on this.

Thanks

Miles

The problem I am about to mention generally causes engine whine, but its electrically possible it could cause your issue as well. If you have done any hot swaps on the HU with the RCA(plugged or unplugged while it was powered on) then you more than likely blew the mirco fuse on the board for the RCA ground. Its possible that the micro fuse i causing voltage loss on the RCA's, so it sounds normal at low voltage, but cannot sustain high voltages....just something to chew on...I would have the HU checked though

Interesting.ha i was actually reading about that fuse earlier on the site..is that fuse soldered in the board..is it something that can be replaced or is it a manufacturer fix?

Thanks

Its soldered in the board IIRC, I know its internal and nothing I would recommend tackling without some pretty good experience or at least a detailed diagram. BTW, I used to have a 4200 and never had any real problems but I read alot of reviews where people were have crazy behavior after a couple of months of having them...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.