Has anyone ever done this ?

Participant count
  • Participant list

AdamC

Indiana
I have an idea , and I'm curious if anyone here has tried this . I have a triple sealed box for 8's , however I was thinking of adding a small port for each chamber ( 3 separate chambers btw ) . I guess my question would be how do I figure out the proper port size or am I asking for box issues with doing this ? If I measured each chamber correctly I'm getting .44 cubic feet each .

I'm bored so I'm looking for something to do lol .

Won't work. Reason being is because ported enclosures are bigger than sealed.
I'm aware of the size difference I was just curious . Like I said I'm bored man . I have a handful of 8's sitting around and even tho they sound pretty decent in a sealed box I was going to frankenstein this box I have . I searched for months for a triple ported 8 box without much luck or one I wasn't willing to pay 400 dollars for and I'm not exactly what you would call a craftsman to build my own . Any recommendations on a triple ported anywhere ?

I'm aware of the size difference I was just curious . Like I said I'm bored man . I have a handful of 8's sitting around and even tho they sound pretty decent in a sealed box I was going to frankenstein this box I have . I searched for months for a triple ported 8 box without much luck or one I wasn't willing to pay 400 dollars for and I'm not exactly what you would call a craftsman to build my own . Any recommendations on a triple ported anywhere ?
To have one made for you or...? Your better having one made rather than pre fab, if that's what your thinking. Reason being is because pre fab's are tuned way too high,...usually in the 40-45's range so the low bass may not sound good, but the upper frequencies will sound awesome.

I'm willing to pay to have one made that's not an issue . I found someone a while back to make one how I wanted it configured and when he told me the price I about fell over from laughing hysterically . I'm all for paying someone for their time and materials but **** that dude was out of his mind . Any good recommendations ? Yourself perhaps ? lol

I do build boxes/enclosures but shipping might be more than the enclosure itself. 400 for 3 8's is beyond ridiculous. If you lived closer I think 150 for a good ported enclosure is reasonable. @shredder2 is starting to do some design work. See if he can whip up something for ya.

I'm willing to pay to have one made that's not an issue . I found someone a while back to make one how I wanted it configured and when he told me the price I about fell over from laughing hysterically . I'm all for paying someone for their time and materials but **** that dude was out of his mind . Any good recommendations ? Yourself perhaps ? lol
If you can make a hole to add a port in a sealed box, you can definitely build your own ported box out of scratch.

Cheapest simple way to do it, get a proper blueprint, plan your wood cuts, buy the wood at home depot, have the workers there cut it, they charge a few cents a cut after the first 3 or something. Take the wood home, glue and screw (requires an electric screwgun which you can get for 20 if you dont already have it) Then cut the circles for the sub and the port with a jigsaw. Glue or screw the port in and you are done. You'll be using round 3, 4 or 6 inch pvc pipes from home depot as well.

Its basically building a square/rectangular cube and cutting holes. A 5th grader can do it. Total comes out to be less than 50-60 with all materials, glue, screws, wood, pvc pipe etc..

OR you can modify your box but you'l lhave to break down all the dividers and only run two 8s and even that will be kind short on airspace after port displacement. To be a proper ported box, it'll be a little bit over double the size of your current sealed box.

If you can make a hole to add a port in a sealed box, you can definitely build your own ported box out of scratch.
Cheapest simple way to do it, get a proper blueprint, plan your wood cuts, buy the wood at home depot, have the workers there cut it, they charge a few cents a cut after the first 3 or something. Take the wood home, glue and screw (requires an electric screwgun which you can get for 20 if you dont already have it) Then cut the circles for the sub and the port with a jigsaw. Glue or screw the port in and you are done. You'll be using round 3, 4 or 6 inch pvc pipes from home depot as well.

Its basically building a square/rectangular cube and cutting holes. A 5th grader can do it. Total comes out to be less than 50-60 with all materials, glue, screws, wood, pvc pipe etc..

OR you can modify your box but you'l lhave to break down all the dividers and only run two 8s and even that will be kind short on airspace after port displacement. To be a proper ported box, it'll be a little bit over double the size of your current sealed box.
I have plenty of tools , I build race engines for a living lol . However my woodworking and box building experience is 0 . I can tell you how to degree a camshaft , how to balance a crankshaft and give step by step instructions on assembly from oil pan up . However I couldn't tell you the first thing about building a sub box and while I'm sure it's simple I just have no knowledge of it . Hence why I said earlier my craftsmanship on woodworking is garbage lol . I do however appreciate your insight , I'll look into some blueprints . Thanks bud

I have plenty of tools , I build race engines for a living lol . However my woodworking and box building experience is 0 . I can tell you how to degree a camshaft , how to balance a crankshaft and give step by step instructions on assembly from oil pan up . However I couldn't tell you the first thing about building a sub box and while I'm sure it's simple I just have no knowledge of it . Hence why I said earlier my craftsmanship on woodworking is garbage lol . I do however appreciate your insight , I'll look into some blueprints . Thanks bud
Bro.. Literally i had zero shop experience, zero crafting or anything kind of experience when i was 16. I just winged it and built this monstrosity, ugly but it worked, no leaks, and strong. If you can build an engine, you can 100% build a square wooden box. IF you can give your maximum length x width x height along with the subwoofers you will be using, the vehicle this is going in and the amp you are planning to power the subs and the impedance it'll be wired to then either me or shredder can help you out.

xZWbC1.jpg

Private messaged you bud .
So... 3 P3 d2's series/paralleled at 2.66 ohm on a 750.1 fosgate... which model?.. up to 16h x 38w x ?d... I'm not at home so someone could help you im sure... 2015 Hyundai sonata?.. thats a trunk?

What are your goals/tastes?.. low, daily or what?.. music tastes matter....

Bro.. Literally i had zero shop experience, zero crafting or anything kind of experience when i was 16. I just winged it and built this monstrosity, ugly but it worked, no leaks, and strong. If you can build an engine, you can 100% build a square wooden box. IF you can give your maximum length x width x height along with the subwoofers you will be using, the vehicle this is going in and the amp you are planning to power the subs and the impedance it'll be wired to then either me or shredder can help you out.
xZWbC1.jpg
Like you said earlier Jeff...it's rocket science to some of these guys lmao. Nobody took woodshop in their school days?! I know I did. You can't figure out how to cut some wood and assemble the pieces together then your lost in life.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.